The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SPL Gainstation or SSL alpha channel?
Old 13th November 2009
Here for the gear

SPL Gainstation or SSL alpha channel?

Hi guys!

I was looking at these two pre's, and wondered which would be "the best choice".
I would mainly use it for vocals, guitars (acoustic and electric) and bass.
Besides hiphop, I do some rock and house.

From what I've found so far, I 'd have to put my money on the SPL, because its more versatile, and I find so many praising reviews.
But I also have the impression that the SSL preamps are a popular choice for hiphop, rnb...

What I'm looking for is a preamp, with A/D for about or under a $1400 (actually €1000).
Channel strips are nice also, but my main goal is to invest in a great sounding pre's rather than the extra's.

Is there anyone that has heard both pre's? What would you suggest in my situation? Do you know of any better alternatives?

Thnx!
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Addict

How 'bout an API A2D? They are going for about 1400 US used!
Old 13th November 2009
I love the Alpha Channel, I never tried the SPL Gainstation.
Old 13th November 2009
Here for the gear

I appreciate the response guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredYeah View Post
How 'bout an API A2D? They are going for about 1400 US used!
I'll look into that FredYeah. Just took a quick peek at the website and that could be an option, if I find a used one that is.
Have you ever heard the other pre's I was talking about?
Could you give me some comparative comment?
Old 13th November 2009
The Pre on the Alpha Channel is actually pretty good, very lively. And the EQ is classic SSL, plus there's a VHD knob for added sparkle, and a soft limit too. Good AD as well, not as good as my Apogee AD, but the Pres are better than the Apogee Mini-Me.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Addict

Hi Theo,

I don't own any of the stuff mentioned here, not even the A2D. But it gets a lot of love from our fellow slutz, so my post was more a 'hint'. I know Chris ownes (owned) a Alpha Channel, Tony Belmont can probably help you out with any questions regarding the API. (Matter of fact, I think there are also some API guys active on this forum.)

I'm actually in the same boat you are. Still searching and saving up for 2 good channels into my DAW. Anyway, good luck!
Old 15th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredYeah View Post
Hi Theo,

I don't own any of the stuff mentioned here, not even the A2D. But it gets a lot of love from our fellow slutz, so my post was more a 'hint'. I know Chris ownes (owned) a Alpha Channel, Tony Belmont can probably help you out with any questions regarding the API. (Matter of fact, I think there are also some API guys active on this forum.)

I'm actually in the same boat you are. Still searching and saving up for 2 good channels into my DAW. Anyway, good luck!
Thanks FredYeah for the support and help!

Chris replied about the SSL already, which I appreciate a lot.
BTW I just noticed he got banned,
what's that all about?

Anyway I contacted some SSL people from around here and found out that the pre's on the alpha channel are the same as the ones in the duality console. And not some consumer version. But maybe you knew that already...

I should be able to go and test it out soon. As well as Daking, Crane song and others, even if they're out of budget, it's nice to be able to compare them.
I'll definitely post some feedback and maybe audio files when the time comes.

Once again, thanks for your 'hint', every input is welcome.
Old 17th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Baldus View Post
Thanks FredYeah for the support and help!

Chris replied about the SSL already, which I appreciate a lot.
BTW I just noticed he got banned,
what's that all about?

Anyway I contacted some SSL people from around here and found out that the pre's on the alpha channel are the same as the ones in the duality console. And not some consumer version. But maybe you knew that already...

I should be able to go and test it out soon. As well as Daking, Crane song and others, even if they're out of budget, it's nice to be able to compare them.
I'll definitely post some feedback and maybe audio files when the time comes.

Once again, thanks for your 'hint', every input is welcome.
Hi,

Waiting for your feedback and audio files of the test for the SSL Alpha channel.

Best regrds,

Abdullah Al balushi
📝 Reply