The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
best way to mix a beat with vocals?
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

best way to mix a beat with vocals?

currently i have all my beats split up from drums to melody. and i recorded my vocals on the same file. my questions is should i bounce the beat down to one file the put the vocals on top? or can i mix the beat split up with the vocals? what is your suggestions?
Old 12th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdamusic View Post
currently i have all my beats split up from drums to melody. and i recorded my vocals on the same file. my questions is should i bounce the beat down to one file the put the vocals on top? or can i mix the beat split up with the vocals? what is your suggestions?
Everything from the beat to the vocals should have it's own track. Mix all together. If ur CPU can't handle all the tracks. Then I would try to mix the vocals then bounce those. Then mix the beat around the vocal two track.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

sweet i was reading your post on cleaerer vocals. ya my computers been overriding but i only got 2 gigs of ram im fixing to buy 8 gigs, i think it will shape it up better
Old 12th November 2009
Try to bus ur tracks instead of putting all ur effects on every one...that helps a lot with you processor speed...
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-E View Post
Try to bus ur tracks instead of putting all ur effects on every one...that helps a lot with you processor speed...
nice that helps
Old 4th July 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
on asking should you mix the track down then add the vox or mix the track down with the vox inside gives a simnple answer.

Only mix the vox outside of the track if you do not have the stems or project file itself.

When mixing the vox inside the track (with each instrument(midi and audio) on seperate tracks, it gives you opportunity to adjust each track to compliment each other. When you mix the vox to a rendered track you only are able to adjust the whole sonic frequency range of the full track. you can not indivdually adjust each element.

want an example?

a piano and a vocal which conflicts
you can eq adjust each track so they dont clash
you can add different reverb times to the tracks or pan to give each track space
you can even use a sidechained compressor to duck whichever track when the other is playing
etc

If you tried the above techniques when it is a vox a track then you would end up changing the whole dynamics of the track. If you cut the track at 1-3khz to dim the piano a bit then you could also take the bite out of the snare, some of the click of the kick and any other instument that is playing at that freq range.

Hope this helps and dont wanna sound condesending.
Old 4th July 2010
Quote:
sweet i was reading your post on cleaerer vocals. ya my computers been overriding but i only got 2 gigs of ram im fixing to buy 8 gigs, i think it will shape it up better
2 gigs should be plenty; I've run pretty huge sessions on less than that. Maybe there's something else that's causing the problem (hard drive speed, processor speed, etc)?
Old 4th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
2 gigs should be plenty; I've run pretty huge sessions on less than that. Maybe there's something else that's causing the problem (hard drive speed, processor speed, etc)?
Benny - I believe you are speaking to the ghost of Gearslutz's past.
Old 4th July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
Benny - I believe you are speaking to the ghost of Gearslutz's past.
Hahaaa. Yes, indeed I am. The funny thing is, I was just browsing the forum this morning noting all the nearly-ancient threads that had been inexplicably bumped to the top of the heap, and wondering, "how the hell do people find these things, and why don't they realize they're replying to nearly-ancient threads??".

Doh.heh
Old 4th July 2010
Gear Head

Things I like to do to Vocals

I Like to use a High pass filter or a Roll off on the low end to get ride of the muffled sound and the extra un needed room sound.. Next I Find the other unwonted Frequency's and notch them out... Next I Compress not to much I usually compress no more than 3-1 with around 3-5 DB reduction, Next I bus my re-verb into my channel 99 percent of the time I use a plate re-verb... then depending on what kind of sound you are going for you can pan or use delay to thicken your vocals.... but really there is No 100 percent right way or best way just trust your ears
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear