The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What elements do you usually quantize?
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

What elements do you usually quantize?

What elements of a track do you like quantized, what elements do you leave unaltered?

...super general question; so feel free to answer in any way you feel contributes =).

Here are a few specific questions.

1. Do you prefer your R&B (actual R&B...not urban pop) type deep sine/triangle basses quantized or unquantized?

2. What about your electric piano / rhodes sections?

3. What about your hip hop / u-pop repetitive main riffs?
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

4. Bump
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

nothing

play everything in. adjust the midi manually if you really don't wanna do it again or nailed a hard improvised solo part and have a note or two 'off' which spoil the performance

i'll only quantize if i'm going for the drum machine sound. eg the hi hats. or if you're going for a house four to the floor sound, then sure, quantize.

it depends on the style of music you make, but in rnb i see no reason to quantize really, especially not melodies, bass, or chords

just play it in
Old 12th November 2009
Here for the gear

It depends. I generally never quantize 100%, I mean, the porcentage of quantization. INdeed I prefer to fix notes by hand instead of quantizing, it seems to be better most of the time (altought I spend so much time on it). If I were a good keyboard player, I think I would never quantize.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

For me it's every thing, all of it or well at least all the drums if nothing else oh yeah and often the bass.

The key thing is not to use the same quantize or groove for all the drum parts only swinging what needs it, hi hat's or kick or evan snare and understanding where you want the notes to lie, do you need a late kick or snare or a early one and so on.... the possibilities of groove are endless and using a quantize grid will work great as long as you understand the process of how to achieve the feel your looking for.

I love the MPC cause you have full control over swing and also control over shift, this is almost all you need for drums.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Addict

Nothing here either
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

I should add a note to my pervious post, drums yes bass maybe but the rest is not the important, sometimes a loose feel is just what the doctor orders for keys. If the drums are quantized shifted or swung usually i find the keyboard playing fit's just right in the required feel thats straight 16, 32 or what ever and obviously turning the quantize off will also help me nail the right feel for those parts. It's really only a drum thing for me. I use it simply to make a tight rhythm section with the right bounce/feel.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Nut

Used to use it at the beginning when I started doing productions, but now, especially with piano/instruments parts, I play it live and record it via midi....as terrytee said, only drums and maybe bass can be subject to quantizing, but I myself try to use it as little as possible.

I think that not having a perfect timing sometime can give you unexpected but great results. Try it!
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

The only thing i quantize is drums. I play them on the keyboard then quantize them at 30-50% plus i edit some more manualy plus i use the humanise features in Battery 3. I think my drums can still feel a bit drum machine like but everything else is non quantize. I may manualy edit some parts here and there if i can't get the right feel but that's it.

My 2 cents

-Alxi-
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

When I'm using the mpc I leave it on standard 16/th note quanitze 50% swing and will use that for everything except bass.

I have also created custom quantize templates in all of the DAW's i use (primarily logic and reason) these days and I'll turn them on in the same way for every track except bass.

I tried the BMCox way on not quantizing the keys and stuff but it sounds too loose for my playing style (or maybe i just suck who knows hahaha)
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

yeah one thing I noticed about bcox is that his keyboard timing is sick
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

i know lots of producers who use 100% and their on top 10 producers so its all about genre lol reggaeton use quantize all the time idont know why jaja
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Nut

I quantize 99% of the time I sequence. I do play with the swing settings to my liking though to change the feel. I'm no keyboardist.
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Only thing guaranteed to get quantinized are kick and snare.

I play my synth basses to a groove that does not allow perfect timing...plus I do waaay too much bass sliding for that (quantized bass slides = hilarious)

Keys and synths depend on the style but it's rare that either gets timing treatment....
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell Blaze View Post
Only thing guaranteed to get quantinized are kick and snare.

I play my synth basses to a groove that does not allow perfect timing...plus I do waaay too much bass sliding for that (quantized bass slides = hilarious)

Keys and synths depend on the style but it's rare that either gets timing treatment....
do you quantize the hi hat 2 or do you do that 1 live?
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytee View Post
do you quantize the hi hat 2 or do you do that 1 live?
I'll have to say that MOST of the time I do. But there are occasions in which I want a "lazy" hat that kind of drags behind the beat on certain hits. I have a strong ear for grooves so a lot of decisions I make are groove dependent.

Thinking of that made me realize that I haven't quantized my KICKS 100% of the time either. There is at least one instance in which I turned off the quantizer for my kick during a breakdown in a song.

There's another song in which the main kick was quantized but the secondary kick wasn't.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

I quantize almost everything. However, I am sample based so that doesn't mean the melody is anywhere near quantized to very quantized depending on the sample. I rely on swing for my drums but will sometimes not quantize either the kick, or the hi hats. Really, most of the time I just have everything quantized though.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear