The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mix-Tape - Mixing issue...
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Mix-Tape - Mixing issue...

So I am mainly a rock producer/mixer but I have been doing a lot of Hip-Hop lately, which I love, but clients keep coming in with poor sounding beats, and rips from the internet and want me to make mix-tapes with them rappin all over the different backing tracks.

Is there a certain way you deal with all the volume/loudness/crappy sounding fluctuation between all the backing tracks. I need all the backings to be solid.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-h...pe-mixing.html

Volume fluctuations? Good compression I suppose; automation if it's real bad. Or you can craft some of the terrible sounding stuff into the beat itself (automate drops or slap filter + fx automation over the whole track if it's a 2track). Creatively try and sculpt the weaknesses into the song would be my suggestion. See if the artists are willing to let you layer other sounds over it (transition sound fx etc), it's probably not even worth arguing over production credits (whatever small %) because a good mix will strengthen your reputation. Splitting a 2-track into different frequency bands, and treating them differently might be worth trying.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

My suggestion is do a quick clean up on the vocals, turn the beat down to where it matches best - limit up if need be - call it a day. Mixtape work is supposed to be cheap, not great.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaves666 View Post
So I am mainly a rock producer/mixer but I have been doing a lot of Hip-Hop lately, which I love, but clients keep coming in with poor sounding beats, and rips from the internet and want me to make mix-tapes with them rappin all over the different backing tracks.

Is there a certain way you deal with all the volume/loudness/crappy sounding fluctuation between all the backing tracks. I need all the backings to be solid.
So,what else is new??
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaves666 View Post

Sacrifice a couple bucks and tell those suckas to step their game up for the sake of hip hop.

I'm kidding (kinda).
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOne3345 View Post
Sacrifice a couple bucks and tell those suckas to step their game up for the sake of hip hop.

I'm kidding (kinda).
Agree; but the best need the bad to be better than the rest, if the rest had success than "the best" would mean less

(answer in rhyme format only plz :D)
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

thanks for all the help....

I assume this is a common thing so I figured maybe there was a few tips and tricks I could use.

I already have the SSL buss and an L3 on the track, pretty much pushing everything into place....but since every track reacts differently, maybe I should switch the order, and see if that levels things out better....

I'd love to create beats and such, but I really have no time, just all the vocals that need to be done, keep me busy enough.
Old 12th November 2009
On mixtapes, it's bad sounding 2-track beats.

On albums, it's everything from low-quality two-tracks to poorly-arranged multitracked beats to just plain bad recordings.

In other words, it's par for the course and an aspect of mixing the style that, unfortunately, you need to get used to (and get good at!!).

Best of luck!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear