The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Using Drum Breaks in Beats
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Nut

Using Drum Breaks in Beats

I was just wondering how everyone uses drum breaks in theirs beats exactly, not asking for you to give up any secrets you might have just want to know how you go about adding them to your beats. Do you just loop a break, chop it up and make it your own, or do you layer your drums over the break?
-Peace everyone
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Brownie View Post
Do you just loop a break, chop it up and make it your own, or do you layer your drums over the break?
You pretty much just answered your own question. Those are 3 methods commonly used.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Me i take the kick, snare & hi hats then build a new patten and groove using those sounds. I never really did the whole copying pattens thing as finding new ideas for pattens has never been a problem for me. Although i often find myself being influenced by other pattens listening to them and thinking hey how did they do that groove, working it out and using the same or similar technique within my own work.
Old 11th November 2009
all of the above depending on how good the drums work in context.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Head

Definitely all of the above. Sometimes I will loop a drum break and use it as a groove template. Programs like Reason allow you to do that with the click of the mouse. But it's fun to loop a break in an MPC and layer new drums on top in different variations. The result is your performance(s) with some of the feel of the original.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear