The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Designing a production based studio desk..Help? Examples?
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Designing a production based studio desk..Help? Examples?

I am looking to build/buy a desk for my studio. I have seen many pictures online of people's studios but they have either a software based setup, or hardware based. I do both.

I have an MPC, ASR 10, S2000 rack. I don't need to see any screens, nor need a controller as I have everything I need. I use a mixer but it does not need to be the main peice, it is basically a patch bay with volume controls and an eq (I don't don't mix through it).

I guess I just don't see much inbetween. I need a mouse and keyboard pretty close as i use software alot. I just feel a bit "cramped" throwing my mixer, computer keyboard, mouse, and mpc on my desk, and have my midi keyboard right under.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Addict

Go to Argosy's Website, find a desk that you like, look at the documentation for that desk, and use the dimensions to design a similar desk.

Last edited by kingchong; 11th November 2009 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: Fix Link
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

I have an Argosy 260 N and I love the "cockpit feel" of the desk.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

I would say don't worry about it being a "music desk." I got a huge old wooden office desk from a friend (he got it from the goodwill for me) and it works more than fine. I have a rack underneath it will all my outboard. My mpc is my left sitting on top of a wooden two-drawer dresser that i keep papers in and my keyboards are next to that. Everyone setup will be different depending on workflow and your aesthetic preferences. All I'm saying is you don't have to buy/build a music specific desk to make it work.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I am looking to build/buy a desk for my studio. I have seen many pictures online of people's studios but they have either a software based setup, or hardware based. I do both.

I have an MPC, ASR 10, S2000 rack. I don't need to see any screens, nor need a controller as I have everything I need. I use a mixer but it does not need to be the main peice, it is basically a patch bay with volume controls and an eq (I don't don't mix through it).

I guess I just don't see much inbetween. I need a mouse and keyboard pretty close as i use software alot. I just feel a bit "cramped" throwing my mixer, computer keyboard, mouse, and mpc on my desk, and have my midi keyboard right under.
I built my desk for under $100 over a weekend (most of the time was spent waiting for the stain and polyurethane to dry in between coats). I basically got my inspiration from these guys: Omnirax - Studio, Technical & Broadcast Furniture*-**-*Force 36 I couldn't see spending over $2500 for some sht I could build for $100. Give it a shot! Or... I could build you one if you feed me. just kidding.
Attached Thumbnails
Designing a production based studio desk..Help? Examples?-dscf0108.jpg   Designing a production based studio desk..Help? Examples?-dscf0094.jpg  
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear