The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Developing a signature sound
Old 9th November 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Lrmusic's Avatar
 

Developing a signature sound

For you guys who have placed a fair amount of beats (on any level...from ghost placements, $50 sales, to grammy award winning beats), how often do you reuse those sounds on beats intended for future placement? Pure curiosity =).


EDIT EDIT EDIT***

The title of the thread has nothing to do with my question. But feel free to keep addressing it anyway, 2x the discussion heh . heh
Old 9th November 2009
  #2
Gear Nut
 
TsunboRecords's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrmusic View Post
For you guys who have placed a fair amount of beats (on any level...from ghost placements, $50 sales, to grammy award winning beats), how often do you reuse those sounds on beats intended for future placement? Pure curiosity =).
Are you meant to?

I always try to get fresh sounds in my production. I guess as long as I keep getting/making new samples, it should be fine!
Old 9th November 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 
CRACKPIPE's Avatar
 

I used the same snare in the last two songs I did. If it's like an instrument, why not. As long as the sound of the song isn't exactly alike. Only if it works, not as a shortcut. I use whatever sounds right for what I have in mind.
Old 9th November 2009
  #4
Here for the gear
 
superkat2's Avatar
 

Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrmusic View Post
For you guys who have placed a fair amount of beats (on any level...from ghost placements, $50 sales, to grammy award winning beats), how often do you reuse those sounds on beats intended for future placement? Pure curiosity =).

I tend to have certain sounds i reuse during the time I make certain tracks or a certain arrangement i go with. If you listen to J.Holiday's first album, the song "Come Here" I played a Synth from Sonik Synth a certain way and then on his second album, a song called "Make That Sound" I played a synth from the Triton the same way. It sounds similiar because i made those beats right around the same time, then switched it up.

Mostly now, because i have so many sounds it comes down to a playing style at the moment im making ideas, but there are drum sounds i like to use alot because it's my brand.

I will say that making your sound or crafting your sound also comes from your production techniques in the studio. Like how you process the sounds. Using samples is one thing but how you tweak those drums underneath is another. If you listen to Kanye West you can always tell when he goes back the the ASR-10 because the drums have a certain sound. Listen to Kid Cudi's joint. Also Jermaine Dupri uses the same drums(MPC 60) on alot of his joints. It's his brand. Not saying it comes down to just drums but i guess that is what you are asking about. So I say, tweak tweak tweak until it sounds not just right but it sounds like it's yours.
Old 10th November 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 
3rd Degree's Avatar
 

I always layer my drums and choose samples that I find to work. Though the actual drum sounds different if you just had the drum, often, it sounds like I am using the same drums because I build them around the sound of the sample I am using. Just from that, people would assume I use the same drums all the time.

I like to sample certain things. I like strings the most and often use vocal stabs. That makes many of my beats sound similar.

Many times I have to "mask" my chops with hihats so you will hear this on the intro's of my beats about a third of the time.

It is all about what sounds good and what you rely on.
Old 10th November 2009
  #6
Gear Maniac
 

drums sounds are heavily recycled! Dr dre says he's used the same drum before but because of different eq it sounds different! Also zaytoven has used the same sounds in alot of beats! The main thing that defines your sound is how you play the keys! For instance lil jon uses the first 3 notes of the minor scale to make a very basic melody using some sort of sawtooth patch! Or timbo with his percussion loops, beatboxing, and dance synths!
Old 10th November 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Storyville's Avatar
Sure. You use what works for you. And if it works, do it again. I have 24GB of drums on my computer. I use maybe 5% of them.

In my engineering, I use parallel distortion pretty often. It just works for me.

The "signature" is created from the body of work though, you don't create a signature and then make a body of work.
Old 10th November 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 
47radAR's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
The "signature" is created from the body of work though, you don't create a signature and then make a body of work.

Old 10th November 2009
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Developing a signature sound has way more to do with production than making a "beat". Every signal "beat maker" that has a signature sound also has a production team.
Old 10th November 2009
  #10
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 

For a signature sound,you need signature songs..and.....great penmanship!!
Old 10th November 2009
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Lrmusic's Avatar
 

Ok I'm interested in how you'd describe a few random artists signature sounds. 1 sentence, off the top of your head, what comes to mind when you see these names. Please avoid all purely qualitative descriptions (like good, bad, great, terrible). And for you purists, try to avoid puking when you see some of the names that are in the same post.

Beyonce:

Earth, Wind, and Fire:

Mariah Carey:

The Beatles:

Souljah Boy:
Old 10th November 2009
  #12
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrmusic View Post
Ok I'm interested in how you'd describe a few random artists signature sounds. 1 sentence, off the top of your head, what comes to mind when you see these names. Please avoid all purely qualitative descriptions (like good, bad, great, terrible). And for you purists, try to avoid puking when you see some of the names that are in the same post.

Beyonce:

Earth, Wind, and Fire:

Mariah Carey:

The Beatles:

Souljah Boy:
Beyonce...all image and marketing nice ass...thunder thighs..

EWF...pure talent,great songs and production,great visuals.

Mariah--Tries too hard to be"ghetto black"...to me ,shes just a very lucky white chick who can sing.
She should have stuck with her original format...for future longevity.

Beatles...WAAAYYYY over rated..but it was their time

Souljah Boy..a total f***ing joke...a "minstrel show" at best.
Old 10th November 2009
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Beyonce...all image and marketing nice ass...thunder thighs..

EWF...pure talent,great songs and production,great visuals.

Mariah--Tries too hard to be"ghetto black"...to me ,shes just a very lucky white chick who can sing.
She should have stuck with her original format...for future longevity.

Beatles...WAAAYYYY over rated..but it was their time

Souljah Boy..a total f***ing joke...a "minstrel show" at best.
Will you please start a record label, I will sign for free
Old 10th November 2009
  #14
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike View Post
Will you please start a record label, I will sign for free
We have a new venture called Soultronics Entertainment.
Its based in Philly and London.

All real songs,real musicians,genuine artists in the classic sense.
No bullshit allowed.
Old 10th November 2009
  #15
Gear Head
 

I thought I was the only one who felt The Beatles were overrated. I honestly believe that most of the hype was because they were "white boys" from the UK........
Old 11th November 2009
  #16
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace20019 View Post
I thought I was the only one who felt The Beatles were overrated. I honestly believe that most of the hype was because they were "white boys" from the UK........
I never understood all of the hype about Frank Sinatra either.
He just plain sucked.
Old 11th November 2009
  #17
Here for the gear
 

The Beatles: lush, cinematic

Souljah Boy: sterile, no soul or feeling

That's all I got. I don't know the others well enough to comment on them.
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump