The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Headset - 80 OHM Studio Headphones
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Nut

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Headset - 80 OHM

Thinking of buying these for mixing and listing to music on computer, i tried out the beats by Dre and liked them but haven't found no were that demos these. Are they worth it.

Thanks
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Head
I've got a pair of them. I'm using them for mixing as addition to monitors (krk rp6) and for layering beats at night. Work great for me. They have a quite nice bass for cans... I can definitely recommend them...thumbsup
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Nut

Does the headphone jack plug into a computer as the pis i seen so far its got the bigger end not the smaller one.
Also have you listened to Beats by Dre, if so how do they compare.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Head
Sorry buddy, little mistake-I've got the 250 OHM version. But they come with gold, small jack adapter in both versions, so there should not be any problem with connecting HP to your pc/mac.
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones and more Studio Headphones at GuitarCenter.com.
80 OHM need no extra HP AMP.
I haven't listened DRE's tracks on them....
Old 10th November 2009
cpu
Gear Addict

I've had mine for almost 5 years. I love them, I take them everywhere, take them on planes all the time, use them in hotel rooms, and they take a good beating and sound great.
I totally recommend them.
Old 10th November 2009
Deleted #29527
I use both headphones you´ve mentioned.

I endorse Beats by Dr.Dre, so I´m probably a little biased, however here are my 2 cents:

The Beyerdynamics are great headphones (I mainly use them for recording). Very little bleeding, very well built (great for daily studio use),
however they tend to sound a bit muddy to me.

The beats are incredible, but they´re not what you would call flat.
They´re quite bass heavy, and they also boost the high end a little bit.
The dynamics on them made me feel like a have a pair of Mackie HR 824´s on my head. Stereo image is beautiful too.
If you know what they do freq wise, they are incredible headphones for mixing imo.

For listening to music on your laptop, I´d definitely prefer the Beats over the Beyerdynamics, however, both are great cans.
Old 10th November 2009
Here for the gear

I use these (have a pair boxed up). I love em, the only thing you should watch when mixing on these. These headphones really make your mids/highs stick out. Which if you (hopefully not) are using exclusively headphones for mixing. This will make you turn your mid/low's down a lil too much. Causing mud.

For mixing you really cant be a good set of monitors. Good luck mate, these are a good buy though.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Nut

Thanks guys, i have heard so many good reviews for Beyerdynamic DT770, when i listened to the Dre ones i don't think there worth the money and actually gave me a headache after awhile.

is any one on here selling Beyerdynamic DT770 in the UK.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Head

I bought a pair of BeyerDynamic 770's in the fall of 2007. They are EXTREMELY comfortable, sound good, and are a very solid pair of headphone monitors.

However, last spring the left year is started going out.. and they weren't even two years old. As much as I loved them, when you spend 150-200 bucks on some cans you want them to last. That said the studios at my school have several pairs that are much older and still work fine. Maybe I got a bad pair but still an experience I felt compelled to share.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Nut

whats the best headphones for purely monitoring and mixing on.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyThomas View Post
I bought a pair of BeyerDynamic 770's in the fall of 2007... However, last spring the left year is started going out..
I have two pair of DT770s. One from 1996(!!!) that I'm listening to as I type this and are still working great. They've survived being used in studio, radio DJing, long trips, and more moves than I care to mention.

s
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Head

I know this is about DT770 Pro's but...
for the same price you could get Audio Technica ATH-A900 Art headphones. I paid £120 for them from Japan via air mail. SO WORTH IT!
The frequency response is quite impressive. There is a minuscule dip in the mids but they are still great for the price. Of course there are no headphones that could beat a decent pair of monitors in a treated environment but for mixing on the go I would only use these.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Nut

Also looking at the Sony MDR-V6 Studio Sound Monitor Headphones, but getting confused now so many to choose from.
Old 19th December 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by killah View Post
Also looking at the Sony MDR-V6 Studio Sound Monitor Headphones, but getting confused now so many to choose from.
That is the great part of the headphone market. There are many choices because they have something for everyone's ears. There is really no way to know which headphones are best until you try them out and find your grounding in how you enjoy sound. A pair of headphones costing $800 might not sound as good as a $300 pair of headphones to your ears if it is lacking on the kind of detail you enjoy in music.(Drastic comparison but a proper one none the less). Trying headphones with a source of audio you are most familiar with would probably be the best way to see what fits you.

Although most would like to convince you otherwise, there really is no "wrong" choice if your going for enjoyment. Granted there are those who need something VERY specific usually for professional work.

dfegad
Old 20th December 2009
Lives for gear

The Audio-Technica ATHM50's are worth a listen as well and are less expensive.
Old 20th December 2009
Gear Nut

i ended up getting the DT 770'S really happy with them no distortion at all very clear headphones.
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

I have been really happy with them for some month. Now, after having mixed through a bunch of headphones (I am a headphoneslut I wouldn't recommend mixing on headphones at all.

It's super time consuming and the results are average at best. Reverbs are not all that, the low end is hard to monitor accurately, no matter what.

Treating your room at your best and having some monitors will be better for getting your best mixes imho.

Anyway, you can still begin with learning how to mix theorically with those and switch later. They are good and not the worst for monitoring.
Old 22nd December 2009
Gear Maniac

My favorite headphones for bass. I love these things.
Old 17th November 2010
Gear Nut

I just bought a pair new for $80. Mostly because I hate my studio setup right now, I just hate the room. I recently moved, so it's got a desk and my gear, but it's just unpleasant to be in. I feel like I'm working at an office, when this is supposed to be my hobby room. Until I get the place more comfy, I'm using these to jam in my living room. Right now all I need is my mopho and Live!, so I'm hoping this is money well spent. If I get them that is. I quit my job 2 days ago, and they are on the way there. I'm not allowed in the building. I was told I could have any packages that come for me, but I'm skeptical. Mostly because there has been a sewage leak in the building, and an entire wall collapsed from mold, and it's been weeks and nobody has bothered to do anything about it. Surprisingly OSHA won't either.
Old 27th November 2011
Gear Nut

Is this version suppose to come with a case for the headphones. I just bought them and there was none but I heard they have a case
Old 27th November 2011
I have 3, but I also have 3 or more of a few types of headphones.

These are picked favs by who's recording, next fostex t20's.

I use em for my laptop, mine didn't come with a case of any kind. I tour alot and just got a W hotel hair blowdryer case for mine. Hahaha
Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by killah View Post
I've actually got a pair of both and use them both. The beyers are better for lows (lots more bass than the mdr's) and better all the way around IMO. So I usually use them.
I'll check on the mdrv600's for high end stuff because they have less bass and more highs and I want to make sure the bass still comes thru on them as well.
Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear

I have a pair of the 80ohm version. I love them, I use them for monitoring performances when recording. Also for seeing how my mixes sound on headphones. Great headphones!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search