The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How panning changed my life :-O
Old 29th August 2009
Gear maniac

How panning changed my life :-O

As usual, I was mixing a track a couple of days ago.
I was always kinda shy with panning I must say... not panning that much (only panned vocals 100%). But with that track I took it to the next level; opening more everything, and man, it changed the sound big time.

I always heard "panning this...", "panning that...", but man, it's like since I'm trying to do that, my mixes are way bigger and sound better. Everything is on it's space.

You gotta learn how to pan. Period
Old 29th August 2009

yeah dude congrats !!
Old 29th August 2009
Gear maniac

Panning is one of the most important things!
Old 29th August 2009
Gear nut

+1 ... That LCR thread really helped me. Im not doing it in a traditional sense, but it gave me pan muscles! heh
Old 29th August 2009
Gear Head

Glad to hear it all panned out ok for ya.
Old 29th August 2009
Lives for gear

No kidding..really??
****..I MUST try that too.
Thanks dude. Maybe my life will change and Ill win the lottery.
Old 29th August 2009
Lives for gear

philly, that's not nice!!! heh
Old 29th August 2009
Gear nut

What exaztly did you do diffrent and any tips.
Old 29th August 2009
Lives for gear

Who said I was nice?tutt
Old 29th August 2009
Lives for gear

you did, on numerous occasions.
Old 29th August 2009
Lives for gear

whats' next, volume adjustments?!
Old 29th August 2009
Lives for gear

I tried the Unmute buttons once and holly **** !!! I could really hear everything !!!heh
nah on the real though I love panning, it makes thngs more open, interesting. It adds a dimension..don't be scared of XTREM PANS!!!
Old 29th August 2009
Lives for gear

Again! I'm going to start calling you out every time. Who the hell are you? Because I sure as hell have never heard of you before tutt

And yes, panning will make any mix sound better (unless you only have one sound source lol). It's good to remember that panning hard L and hard R, is the sonic equivilent to adding +3db in your mix, so adjust accordingly.

Sometimes I like to mix things hard left and right, and make them BARELY audible, just to mess with people wearing headphones
Old 29th August 2009
Gear nut

LOL ... Philly is actually a very knowledgeable and talented seasoned vet. If you search he gives alot of tips and a heap of sarcasm heh. If you sample or are a fan of soul music you have probably used one of his songs.

Just trying to shed some light!

Thanks for the +3db tip.
Old 29th August 2009
I know who he is and I'd say he's earned the right to a little sarcasm now and then.

Maybe bordering on the crotchety side of bluntness at times, but there's a big difference between being an arsehole and not suffering stupid comments.

That's not necessarily my thoughts on this thread though.
Old 29th August 2009

who is he ? i'm curious btw my pops used to jam with fania, and maybe miles and he mad cool y0!
Old 30th August 2009
Lives for gear

Just check your mix in mono.

As for who is Philly Soul Man..... just send him a thank you card next time you sample something off a soul record.
Old 30th August 2009
Lives for gear

and you think noobs are the reason this place is bad...
Old 30th August 2009

People need to start treating others with a little more respect around here. Whether you are a newbie or a "seasoned vet", it matters not.

If negativity is going to continue permeating this forum, I will just start giving 7 day bans for every negative post I see from this point on.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search