The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
im done messing wit my avalons Condenser Microphones
Old 30th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
Neve CIB???

Do you mean the Amek? If so, they are very different pieces. The Amek CIB is cool, but I always found it to be a little to clean. It doesn't really add much character to the signal. The GTQ is all about character, like a 1073, with a round bottom end, etc. The GTQ is also two channels, but doesn't have the compressor. So, they are different beasts altogether.
I've got about $1500. Been thinking of selling my ISA430 to come up with the rest of the funds to pick up the GTQ2. I'd be loosing the eq that I love. I've got the C2 for compression, so I could do without that and could definately forget about the Focusrite pre...do you think this would be a good move? The eq on the GTQ doen't appear it could do fine tune eqing very well. What do you think...save up the rest and keep both or dump it? Know we're killing you with the GTQ questions but I think you're about the only regular to this rap forum, that has one. Thanks..
Old 30th August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface
I've got about $1500. Been thinking of selling my ISA430 to come up with the rest of the funds to pick up the GTQ2. I'd be loosing the eq that I love. I've got the C2 for compression, so I could do without that and could definately forget about the Focusrite pre...do you think this would be a good move? The eq on the GTQ doen't appear it could do fine tune eqing very well. What do you think...save up the rest and keep both or dump it? Know we're killing you with the GTQ questions but I think you're about the only regular to this rap forum, that has one. Thanks..
No problem.. I had an ISA430 for a while... The only thing I liked was the EQ. I think it would be a good move to get the GTQ2 if you are doing a lot of tracking. The mic pre is amazing, plus the DI on it sounds great.. and the EQ is great. It is more of a sweetening EQ than anything else, but it has a lot of balls! If you have a good EQ plugin like some of the URS stuff to use when mixing, I think you'll have all your bases covered..

Anyone interested in buying a GTQ drop me a PM...
Old 30th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
No problem.. I had an ISA430 for a while... The only thing I liked was the EQ. I think it would be a good move to get the GTQ2 if you are doing a lot of tracking. The mic pre is amazing, plus the DI on it sounds great.. and the EQ is great. It is more of a sweetening EQ than anything else, but it has a lot of balls! If you have a good EQ plugin like some of the URS stuff to use when mixing, I think you'll have all your bases covered..
Thank you!
Old 30th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it reel
hey jonnyclueless...what sorts of mods did you do to your 737, and what sort of improvements did you notice. Is it worth the expence?
Mine is just the Mercenary mod. It's not upposed to sound different, but mine unquestionably does. And for example, on Christina Milian's "Dip It Low" I did a shoot out between the 737sm, a Neve 1081, and an M5. The 737sm won hands down.

However, if I was on a desert Island and had to choose between a 1081 and a 737sm, I would still choose the 1081. It just happened to be a song/singer where the Avalon worked better. But there is also no way the 737sp would have even held a candle in that shootout.

In that same session the M149 beat out a U47, Sony C-800g, C12, and a U67 (the singer made the decision before I could). I think the reason th M149 won is because the singers voice is ultra siblant and the M149 managed to tame the symblance where as the C12 and C800 exagerate it.

I even tried a dbx900 d-esser on the other mics to see if it was only the siblance difference. Boy was that a waste of time. I'm sure they are fine for BG vocals, but not for leads.
Old 30th August 2005
Gear maniac

[QUOTE=thethrillfactor]

.....I would characterize the standard tubes as dry.

Mullards tend to give vocals and bass a richer size and just overall fidelity.

The Tele's makes it more hifi(similar to the stock but more open)......

Thanx TTFactor
Where do you think would be a cool place (reasonable) to pick up some new tubes?

The only place I've heard of is The Tube Store, online that is.

SIN
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search