The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waves SSL Channel Compressor Threshold Question?
Old 9th July 2009
Lives for gear

Waves SSL Channel Compressor Threshold Question?

Whats up? Ok, I track/mix everything at about -18dbfs... The Waves SSL Channelstrip's compressor threshold knob doesn't go that low.. Is it useless to me?.. or does somebody out there in gearslutzland know a way to fix this or a workaround.. Oh yeah, I do not want to pull out Sonalksis FreeG to raise the volume up. I want everything to stay at -18 while I'm mixing.

Thanks,

Justin

PS. If its true the threshold doesn't go any lower.. this is one sh*tty plugin.
Old 9th July 2009
Lives for gear

Ooops, I guess I didn't look hard enough... Raise the input section +18 and lower the output section -18 is the answer.. Hope this helps someone else...

Next Question, Does the input section color the sound if driven like this? I hope not.

Thanks,

Justin
Old 17th April 2011
Sorry for diggin up this old thread, but I was just wondering about the input section coloring the sound also. Hey, least I searched for a thread instead of creating a new one thumbsup
Old 17th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_04_04 View Post
Sorry for diggin up this old thread, but I was just wondering about the input section coloring the sound also. Hey, least I searched for a thread instead of creating a new one thumbsup
Turn off 'Analog' mode if you don't want it to color the sound. I'm not sure if it really colors the sounds - but I know it adds 'analog noise' to the signal - so if you want to keep it clean, just turn Analog switch off.
Old 18th April 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdot View Post
Turn off 'Analog' mode if you don't want it to color the sound. I'm not sure if it really colors the sounds - but I know it adds 'analog noise' to the signal - so if you want to keep it clean, just turn Analog switch off.
I think it's just noise, lol..
Old 18th April 2011
Lives for gear

Input is coloring the sound, but the analog switch only adds noise as far as I know.
Old 18th April 2011
Lives for gear

i believe it is the output level that colors the sound - pushing it into the red will soft limit/saturate.
Old 18th April 2011
Lives for gear

the analog button def colors the sound for the good. It just doesnt sound as good with it turned off. to me anyway.. later
Old 18th April 2011
Lives for gear

So the question is does it color the sound? Listen to it...
Old 18th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_04_04 View Post
it will not destroy your sound, plug-in coloration is over rated...
Old 19th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher View Post
it will not destroy your sound, plug-in coloration is over rated...
I beg to differ.. no latency saturation plugs are like a godsend.. no routing, patching, latency... what else are you asking for.. a clean signal? disable it.
Old 19th April 2011
Lives for gear

Hey J CraQ,
I think it does color it. I shall do more tests!heh
Old 19th April 2011
Lives for gear

I wonder tho if it does, does it make the signal sound more up-front and in your face??
Old 19th April 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg09 View Post
I wonder tho if it does, does it make the signal sound more up-front and in your face??
no it smears the sound rather bad
Old 19th April 2011
Why is the threshold so important to the OP, why don't you look at the gain reduction instead? That's way more important to me.

Why are you tracking/mixing at -18db? Why don't you just track and mix so that your peaks hit -3 to -5db and that's it? This will solve all your problems.
Old 19th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
...This will solve all your problems.
all?
Old 19th April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
all?
Well, someone's lack of talent? No
Old 19th April 2011
Lives for gear

ah bummer!
Old 20th April 2011
Lives for gear

this thread is way old.. nowadays i track with peaks hitting about -10...

around -3 whats the point?? so you can maybe clip? why chance it?

If you come in a a little less risky the signal will still sound the same but you won't risking any digital overs ..

most plugins thresholds go below -18 so at the time I posted this the SSL plug threw me for a loop.

lago.. if the peaks don't cross the threshold no gain reduction will occur so how can you watch the GR meter..? what you talkin bout willis

later
Old 20th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
all?
Even E.D.
Old 20th April 2011
Lives for gear

Lago,
I liked your avatar picture better when you were wearing shades! Why did you take them off?
Old 20th April 2011
Lives for gear

I agree with J CraQ though.
Ide rather have my peaks lower than -3 for sure
Old 20th April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg09 View Post
Lago,
I liked your avatar picture better when you were wearing shades! Why did you take them off?
I will put one with shades very soon heh There, I have shades on.
Old 20th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now thats what im talking about!!!
Old 20th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
i'd go for much bigger shades though.
Old 20th April 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Why is the threshold so important to the OP, why don't you look at the gain reduction instead? That's way more important to me.

Why are you tracking/mixing at -18db? Why don't you just track and mix so that your peaks hit -3 to -5db and that's it? This will solve all your problems.
The threshold is important because if it doesn't go low enough to get the gain reduction you want, then you can't get the gain reduction you want, in which case staring at the gain reduction meter won't matter as it won't go far enough over to where you want it to land (or if using ears, you won't get the sound you want LOL).

It's generally good practice to track with peaks no higher than somwhere between -18 to -12dBFS. I won't repeat what's in a billion other threads, but a) you generally get better linearity and other artifacts at your AD converters (meaningless if you are using VIs); b) you have better gain structure for processing which, despite floating point math and such, still seems to be important; c) you will have proper gain structure when using outboard effects on inserts and/or analog summing, etc. any analog outboard gear. When I get records to mix with levels slammed, I go through every channel and trim them down so they are peaking in that -18 to -12 area. Although doing so won't correct for what happens with analog signals that hit the AD when whoever tracked the song, it will fix everything downstream from there.
Old 20th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
The threshold is important because if it doesn't go low enough to get the gain reduction you want, then you can't get the gain reduction you want, in which case staring at the gain reduction meter won't matter as it won't go far enough over to where you want it to land (or if using ears, you won't get the sound you want LOL).
Was just going to mention it. His problem in the original post was that he could not get any reduction because the threshold didn't go low enough. Even though he figured it out, some compression plug ins don't have an input gain so it's a legitimate question.
Old 20th April 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
i'd go for much bigger shades though.
Ahahahaha
Old 21st April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post

It's generally good practice to track with peaks no higher than somwhere between -18 to -12dBFS. I won't repeat what's in a billion other threads, but a) you generally get better linearity and other artifacts at your AD converters (meaningless if you are using VIs); b) you have better gain structure for processing which, despite floating point math and such, still seems to be important; c) you will have proper gain structure when using outboard effects on inserts and/or analog summing, etc. any analog outboard gear. When I get records to mix with levels slammed, I go through every channel and trim them down so they are peaking in that -18 to -12 area. Although doing so won't correct for what happens with analog signals that hit the AD when whoever tracked the song, it will fix everything downstream from there.
Now I need to know, when I'll send you a song to mix, how high in db would you rather want it?

ps:yes people, for once I don't want to do it all, producing, then mixing, I need a pro with fresh ears instead.
Old 21st April 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Now I need to know, when I'll send you a song to mix, how high in db would you rather want it?

ps:yes people, for once I don't want to do it all, producing, then mixing, I need a pro with fresh ears instead.
Track everything peaking no higher than -18dBFS. It's not an exact thing, but make sure a warning bell goes off if you peak over -12dBFS. Anywhere inbetween is fine. Going below is fine for sounds that you know will be quiet obviously. This goes for vox and live instruments as well as virtual instruments (use the output knob on the VI), but it's more important for stuff that you record through the A/D.

Q: how do you make an expensive converter sound like a crap converter?
A: Track everything at -1

Q: how do you make a crap converter sound like an expensive converter?
A: Track everything at -12

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search