The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pete Rock Petestrumentals drums : how the hell did they do ?!!
Old 21st August 2005
Gear Addict

Pete Rock Petestrumentals drums : how the hell did they do ?!!

first of all I'd like to say I came across these boards yesterday and so far I'm loving them!! there is so much knowledge dropped around here!

okay so about petestrumentals, this album is supposed to be a comp of some old beats from 90 to 95, but I guess they remixed everything in 2002 when it came out. I've always wondered how they got those drums to sound so good and so polished. I know from an interview that Pete Rock was using Tube Tech compressors on drums @ the time, could they be responsible for that sound ?? This sound surprising because everyone else would use them on vocals or bass.

btw the whole album was mixed by Pete Rock and Rod Hui @ Greene Street studios, NYC

so, here's a little snippet of a few petestrumental extracts, let me know what you all think ! could it be the Tube Techs ?
Attached Files

petestrumentals.mp3 (1.20 MB, 11174 views)

Old 21st August 2005
Gear Addict

i would say its his ears findin good drums. he uses SP12 alot which can make drums sound sooooo nice. He even uses MPC and Eqs alot. Dunno if its really a TubeTech. Ive read one Album mixed on a NEVE VR Console. I dont think the secret is the Tubetech more his secret technics of sampling and mixing i guess.

greets chester
Old 21st August 2005
Gear Maniac

I thought petestrumentals was done on an mpc2000xl
Old 21st August 2005
Gear Addict

well, the choice of dope samples & the use of the SP definitely play a big role in the sound, but still.

You can listen to the Main Ingredient album, or the Soul Survivor 1 album, and notice that even tho they've been made with the SP-1200 & dope samples they don't sound the way Petestrumentals sounds. Every track on Petestrumental has that colored, particular sound, so I guess the compressors & outboard gear they used definitely played a role.

Also, I think Jamey Staub mixes Pete Rock's tracks most of the time, on Petestrumentals it was Rod Hui. So he probably has something to do with that sound as well.
Old 21st August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouphome
I thought petestrumentals was done on an mpc2000xl
nah, Petestrumentals is all SP-1200 and s-950.

I don't think PR had ever used the MPC before the Soul Survivor 2 era
Old 21st August 2005
Lives for gear

Is Greene Street still around?

I know back in the 80's Rod Hui was DA MAN and mixed a lot of big records there along with my buddy Nick Sansano including P.E.

They had a newfangled AMEK desh there at one time... one of only a few made as I remember.
Old 21st August 2005
Gear Addict

apparently they shut down in 2001 ( I guess Petestrumental was released in 2000 or 01 then, I cant remember and it's not written on the LP cover)
Old 21st August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultools
Is Greene Street still around?

I know back in the 80's Rod Hui was DA MAN and mixed a lot of big records there along with my buddy Nick Sansano including P.E.

They had a newfangled AMEK desh there at one time... one of only a few made as I remember.
Didn't they have an API there? I remember something about the first Legacy being installed there...
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
Didn't they have an API there? I remember something about the first Legacy being installed there...
Yeah the first Legacy was there, though IIRC that came after the Pete & CL albums (was Soul Survivor 1 recorded there too? Can't recall, but feel like that's what the credits said--good sounding record, that). I had asked here a while back about what was there before the API, and reply was an Amek APC 1000.

Peece,
T. Tauri
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Yes, the AMEK... the Legacy had not been invented yet.
Old 22nd August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsville
first of all I'd like to say I came across these boards yesterday and so far I'm loving them!! there is so much knowledge dropped around here!

okay so about petestrumentals, this album is supposed to be a comp of some old beats from 90 to 95, but I guess they remixed everything in 2002 when it came out. I've always wondered how they got those drums to sound so good and so polished. I know from an interview that Pete Rock was using Tube Tech compressors on drums @ the time, could they be responsible for that sound ?? This sound surprising because everyone else would use them on vocals or bass.

btw the whole album was mixed by Pete Rock and Rod Hui @ Greene Street studios, NYC

so, here's a little snippet of a few petestrumental extracts, let me know what you all think ! could it be the Tube Techs ?
Two things immediately caught my ear with those samples. One was great sound selection- you can tell when someone really searches for the perfect kit before programming their beat.

The other thing is the judicious use of reverbs to create space and sweeten the sounds. Very nice reverb processors... Light and unobtrusive.
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Addict

yeah I think Soul Survivor 1 was recorded there too. I think there's a 1hour video documentary that shows SS1 studio sessions floatting around on the net.

Paul, nice suggestion about the reverbs, I think they definitely play their part.

anyone willing to take a guess on the type of compressor ? heh
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Theres not to many reverbs around capable of doing this in my oppinion, alot of times you end up noticing the reverb to much. I think that the lexicon 480´s are great for this effect, you dont notice the reverb until you mute the returns, kind of.
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik
Theres not to many reverbs around capable of doing this in my oppinion, alot of times you end up noticing the reverb to much. I think that the lexicon 480´s are great for this effect, you dont notice the reverb until you mute the returns, kind of.
cool. would you say the PCM70 could come any close to that effect ? or even the 300 ?
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

I wouldn´t know I havent spent to much time with theese units, but I´m shure there must be alternatives. Any suggestions?
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Pete Rock has always had a dope ear for getting a certain sound. I think that his secret weapon was the SP1200. I had an Sp12, but I couldn't get around the 5 inch floppy.

Close to that type of sound is the EPS 16 plus, the drums coming off that joint is the best I've heard. I still have my Mirage, but that's another story!

BaseJase
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

If you have access to an SP1200:
Experiment with plugging in the 1/4 jacks HALF-WAY

Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultools
If you have access to an SP1200:
Experiment with plugging in the 1/4 jacks HALF-WAY

hmm i'll have to try that.
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

I remember hearing that he always uses outputs 1 and 2 on the SP for drums, setting the dynamic allocation on. Filters...for that filter 34 are much different and 56 are differentas well and 78 have no filter. Plus the record was mixed to 1 inch.
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Addict

yeah the sp definitely has something to do with the sound, it gives that raw, distinctive sound. Still I'm sure there's more than the SP. The SP doesnt give that "polished" edge.

about the samples, I'm pretty sure they come from his s-950, which gives that warm sound.

outputs 1 & 2 are definitely the best for kicks, any average kick comes out real good on the 1 & 2

4-5 are more for snares, 6-7-8 for hats, of course there's no rule though.

I think if you plug a mono jack all the way into the separated outputs, it cuts the dynamic filters, that's why you have to plug them half the way to keep the filters
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

A halfway inserted monocable will bypass the filter, another way of doing this is by using an insertcable wich gives you the filterd version in one end and the unfiltered in the other. thumbsup
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

A very slim amount of information in an article from Remix Magazine here:

http://remixmag.com/mag/remix_soul_brother_almighty/

Peece,
T. Tauri
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttauri
A very slim amount of information in an article from Remix Magazine here:

http://remixmag.com/mag/remix_soul_brother_almighty/

Peece,
T. Tauri
cool!

here's the article I was referring to, where he mentions the tube techs

http://remixmag.com/mag/remix_rock/
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Everyone's overlooking the true secret of the Pete Rock sound: Biz Markie scratches! heh

Peece,
T. Tauri
Old 23rd August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik
A halfway inserted monocable will bypass the filter, another way of doing this is by using an insertcable wich gives you the filterd version in one end and the unfiltered in the other. thumbsup

well, i didn't try it with an insert cable, but i did it with a mono cable and didn't really get much out of it. Is this only applicable to the individual outputs?
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305
well, i didn't try it with an insert cable, but i did it with a mono cable and didn't really get much out of it. Is this only applicable to the individual outputs?

I would think so, I got mine hoocked up with insertcables on output 1-6 and standard
mono cables on 7 & 8 since these are unfiltered anyway. I got the LE model so i´m not shure if this applies on the other as well but I would think so. On the back of mine it says ring filtered tip unfiltered (or if it´s the other way around didn´t´bother to check) printed under the outputs.
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Funny that someone should dig Pete Rock because of the drum sound, which imo always has been the weakest part of his productions.

Whats the deal with that Pete Rock HI-HAT??

Anyway, to get that Pete Rock snare and kick I'd chop up some old Meters tracks.

I wouldn't bother with any sp 1200 or s950, I'd just resample the sounds to 12bit and 22,05k samplerate, and put em in a modern soft sampler.

I dig beat no 2 on the sound clip, anyone know what that song's called?
Old 23rd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Has anyone checked out the pete rock surviving elements album (album with beats that werent good enough for SS2)?
Old 2nd September 2005
Lives for gear

Not that it will make up for my being evil and hassling people about spelling, but I do know one of the Pete Rock sampling secrets.

I was reading an old DJ Shadow interview where he drops this jewel, which he learned from Pete Rock and DJ Premier mostly.

Splice a little bit of record noise on the front and tail end of your samples. That way they don't have that stark, overly polished modern r&b type sound. I don't know if they use a crossfade to get the sample and record noise to blend, but it sounds better to my ears than just putting some reverb on a sample.

I do notice that a lot of independently produced rap hop tracks have the samples a little too clean and boring sounding. Thought this might help someone.
Old 3rd September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn
Splice a little bit of record noise on the front and tail end of your samples. That way they don't have that stark, overly polished modern r&b type sound. I don't know if they use a crossfade to get the sample and record noise to blend, but it sounds better to my ears than just putting some reverb on a sample.
I would try to just make a record crackle track and trigger that from a kik and or snare track with a decay an a little look ahead.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search