The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pete Rock Petestrumentals drums : how the hell did they do ?!!
Old 24th July 2017
your on point its manipulating the drums with tube saturation on top of pete having the illest drum sample library ever
Old 31st October 2017
DAH
Lives for gear

Tube saturation means **** when the sample itself is not perfect. That means the initial pitch, the end pitch, the decay and the pitch drop curve. An artificial pure waveform pitch drop like the one in the 909 allows to get a very punchy impact. See the spectrum of an acoustic kick and you will see that it has a much more short initial wideband energy with a relatively short decay which is again more wideband than the pure sine\triangle.
Old 31st October 2017
SEED78
No old schoolers used tube saturation. Tape, Music couldn't be made without it back then. some colour and heft from a SSL, MCI etc etc if they were lucky.

In the lab. MPC/sp/950, battered Gemini/Technics DJ mixer, 1210 turntable, wax all day every day.

Drums - skillful layering, careful use of pitch, attack and decay for each layered sound.
Old 4th November 2017
Tube saturation? That's what makes me laugh about the Hip Hop forum. Where do these folks get their information from. It wasn't the 1950's.
Old 7th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
... That's what makes me laugh about the Hip Hop forum. Where do these folks get their information from. ...
seriously. hip-hop producers are generally shockingly ignorant. i was talking to a guy a couple weeks ago that tried telling me all about how "these new mics have built in fx now, compressors and EQs"... i'll admit i know next to nothing about microphones, but enough to see immediately that this guy had no idea what he was talking about. when i questioned him on it i swear he got so pissed that he almost got in my face about it, started googling pics of his mic just to prove it to me. turns out that the "fx" on his AKG are the polar pattern selector and attenuation/filter switches. "they do the same thing", he says.

Old 7th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
seriously. hip-hop producers are generally shockingly ignorant. i was talking to a guy a couple weeks ago that tried telling me all about how "these new mics have built in fx now, compressors and EQs"... i'll admit i know next to nothing about microphones, but enough to see immediately that this guy had no idea what he was talking about. when i questioned him on it i swear he got so pissed that he almost got in my face about it, started googling pics of his mic just to prove it to me. turns out that the "fx" on his AKG are the polar pattern selector and attenuation/filter switches. "they do the same thing", he says.
Classic!
I only have this attitude because when I was 16/17 and one of the only Hip Hop DJ/Samplists I knew, I moved into engineering and did that for about 6/7 years straight before becoming an artist/producer and making some albums and touring the world.
There was no internet or Gearslutz and I'd be lucky to have an inspiring convo with a likeminded soul. Yet I find myself on here 30 years later arguing with people who know nothing about actual recording when usually all I'm trying to do is help.

And for what it's worth just because people have a DAW or an MPC, it doesn't make them a producer. They're stripes you earn when you've sold product. The clue is in the title
Old 6th May 2018
DAH
Lives for gear

The kicks are pitched down 909 with a steep high-pass, probably at the mixing stage.
Old 7th May 2018
Lives for gear

Bring it back, bring it back...

Drum sounds are critical to Hip Hop. There should always be a "how to drums" topic floating at the top of the forum.

I always used 808s in this way. I'm sure I have before, but I'll be trying 909s (again).
Old 9th May 2018
Lives for gear
Reading this thread makes me wonder where @ rickrock305 went. He was one of the good ones for sure.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search