The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sound Difference Tracking In From My Hardware.
Old 5th July 2009
Sound Difference Tracking In From My Hardware.

Hey guys im currently using Reason 4 ReWired into Protools.
I have a rack full of gear, akai s3000xl, mo-phatt, etc, etc..all just SITTING around, havent really played with them much.

Im wondering if i start creating music using the hardware, tracked into Protools on seperate tracks, would I get a better "sound" vs creating music from Reason ReWired into Protools.

I dont want to get rid of the hardware if its gonna give me a "better" sound!
Old 5th July 2009
Lives for gear

It's going to give you a different sound. Personally, I'm not sold on Reason's drums or bass. I like the softsynths for "video-game" type of sounds. Arpeggios, blip noises and stuff. Some of their saw-tooth based leads are cool too. I think you'll get fantastic bass out of your mo-phatt... if you're ever thinking of getting rid of it, let me know. You'll get better drums from your akai. Put your own samples in, and experiment by driving the output going line level into your PT interface. The tone of the drums will change with the amount of drive. Lots of drive will give you that Primo kind of tone, a little drive will give you more of the Timbo tone. If you use the S/PDIF outs on the akai you will get a Scott Storch kind of tone tutt. And before anyone decides to be annoying - driving the outputs will not make you sound like Primo or Timbo - that's mainly about the samples themselves, but you will see similarity in the tones.

Use your hardware. Even stupid hardware like Roland Grooveboxs have some cool things going for them.
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

The rack of gear is evil and weighing down your soul.

Give it to me, or else the "sound" won't be good.
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Don't listen to him!!!! He's from Boston. People from Boston are questionable at best.... but God if that Bagel Rising place isn't worth the risk.
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Whatever you don't want you can send to me. I'll pay for shipping.
Old 6th July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
Don't listen to him!!!! He's from Boston. People from Boston are questionable at best.... but God if that Bagel Rising place isn't worth the risk.
heh
Old 6th July 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycapmusic View Post
You got the stuff there... Use it and tell us what sounds better.
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
haha...word
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycapmusic View Post
Hey guys im currently using Reason 4 ReWired into Protools.
I have a rack full of gear, akai s3000xl, mo-phatt, etc, etc..all just SITTING around, havent really played with them much.

Im wondering if i start creating music using the hardware, tracked into Protools on seperate tracks, would I get a better "sound" vs creating music from Reason ReWired into Protools.

In order for this question to be answered, you must have the EXACT SAME sound sources in Reason as you do in all your hardware. And unless someone out there made some re-fills of your hardware, your question can't be answered. Try both, figure out what sounds better to you and go with it. But it's more about sound choices rather than sound quality.
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

I'll buy you dinner at Legal Seafoods...
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

I think I'm back in Boston at the end of August. It's on the tour schedule. I'll let ya'll know.
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

only opinion can be given about "better/worse" but you can definitely get

some new sounds into your arsenal which is always a good thing. some if

not all of the things you've mentioned, have been used on classic joints...
Old 7th July 2009
Gear Maniac

It's also about workflow. What gear do you work well with. What gear do you like to work with. What gear allows you to make the best music possible.
Consider that together with what sounds best to you.
Some times I'll chose a good workflow over sound quality, cause having gear that you work well with and can be productive and creative with, is some times worth more than a small improvement in sound quality. But it depends.
Consider all factors together...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search