The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Scott Storch Strings
Old 24th November 2006
  #91
Here for the gear
 

Way too many people out there wasting time trying to copy, study, reference other artists work. There's a reason why people advise to find your own sound. Not only is it more gratifying, hell I find it easier than trying to sound like someone else. Also thought it slowed down the learning process but eh that's just me.
Old 24th November 2006
  #92
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
yeah, that guy pretty much established himself as a clown rather quickly...funny thread!
wow
Old 24th November 2006
  #93
Gear Addict
 

i only read about 2 pages so if someone already mentioned it whatever:

one of Storch's young engineer interns made a myspace video well over a year ago showing how to replay the main candy shop melody. the patch came from the Roland XV5080 and he used a triton extreme as the controller (he had virtually every piece of hardware Storch had).
Old 24th November 2006
  #94
Lives for gear
 
halfguard's Avatar
 

no link?
Old 25th November 2006
  #95
Lives for gear
 

Ehm, I'm definitely not into these things, but here maybe you can get the info you are looking for:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wj3zKMlKoI
Old 25th November 2006
  #96
Gear Addict
 

http://www.myspace.com/freqcbeats

thats the cat that did the candy shop replay way back...he dont have the vid on his page anymore but he might hit u up with it if u ask i guess
Old 25th November 2006
  #97
Lives for gear
 

Markus, when you say that Ableton Live supports that kind of mapping... You're talking about live 6? Because live 5 doesn't have a sampler.

I'm fed up with Reason... Basically the low-budget sampler, the NN19, supports mapping Sample start and ADSR params to MIDI CC#'s, but it doesn't have any zone layering, velocity switchng, or crossfading. The main sampler in reason, the NN-XT, has those things, but it doesn't support any mapping of CC #'s!!

I checked out live 5 but I didn't see a sampler, so that's why I ask this. Were you useing another softsampler within live? Trying to find a program that I can use to do these kinds of things.

Thanks again.
Old 26th November 2006
  #98
Lives for gear
 
Zacchino's Avatar
 

For the Kontakt 2 headz :

I've found some Sample-start modulation and randomization tricks with Kontakt, if interrested, I posted this on NSS :

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...208#post452208
Old 14th March 2007
  #99
Led
Lives for gear
 
Led's Avatar
Anyone one use NRPN's anymore? Roland and Yamaha stuff used to use non registered parameter numbers and you could transmit them on cc's 88 and 89 I think. You could adjust the source wave within the patch with them.
Old 15th March 2007
  #100
Lives for gear
 

It is the motif and he creates his strings... So do ya own thing homie
Old 16th March 2007
  #101
Gear Maniac
 
World Of Wiz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAverageJoe View Post
It is the motif and he creates his strings... So do ya own thing homie

I somebody that and was told I was stupid. Then I pulled the MTV video from youtube. he hates me now.
Old 19th March 2007
  #102
Gear Maniac
 
fontenele's Avatar
 

creamware stuff?

I read that SS uses creamware stuff too, and he actually really likes it.
Whatever... It does not change my life anyhow, I read a post here once talking about the fact that limitations provoke you to create and actually I read a book about ecxaclty that aplied to education, but true to ANYTHING in life. So, I am not looking to being limited, but the tools I have and how hard I go for it, will define who I am, I understand the thread guy, but I think he is OVER FOCUSING in a MINOR issue.
Old 19th March 2007
  #103
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by random sunrize View Post
Way too many people out there wasting time trying to copy, study, reference other artists work. There's a reason why people advise to find your own sound. Not only is it more gratifying, hell I find it easier than trying to sound like someone else. Also thought it slowed down the learning process but eh that's just me.

I believe people have been studying and referencing classical music for as long as I know of... What makes this any different??? At my university right now there is a class that studies Jimi Hendrix's music... Copying is different than studying and referencing. There is a reason that the music sounds great and sells and I believe that fact should be studied. Also some of tracks out now are referenced to other tracks when they are mastered too...
Old 2nd July 2007
  #104
Lives for gear
 

Sorry to bring this thread back...but I know the answer to the original question. What I am trying to figure out is...if you hear a sound that sounds cool, and you think it might spark your creativity, why not use it? It's available to everybody...It not like you can't get your hands on a motif. Ohhh, be yourself man...don't do what other producer do....do use a motif..cause timbaland, scott storch and everybody else uses it. So how is it possible to be original these days with everybody using the same gear? The 3 most popular keyboards rule the universe. Anyway... the strings scott storch used on those records is in the Motif (strings section) its called TAPE STRINGS
Old 2nd July 2007
  #105
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevens119 View Post
So how is it possible to be original these days with everybody using the same gear? The 3 most popular keyboards rule the universe. Anyway...
originality comes from your head, not the boxes
Old 2nd July 2007
  #106
Lives for gear
 
goldenlotus's Avatar
 

The sounds and patches aren't what the song is. The song is what you say with the music. Saying that you can't be original if everybody has the same keyboards is like saying that there is no way to be original on the piano because all the notes have been used already. Originality comes from inside not the tools you use.
Old 2nd July 2007
  #107
Lives for gear
 
Farshad's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobe View Post
1080
+1 for JV1080 very usable and organic sounding strings.
Old 22nd March 2008
  #108
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobe View Post
factory presets ........ no magic
Yep. He layers various motif strings.

Patches on the Motif ES like:
- MediumEns
- HardEns etc.

Storch thinks alot about it when he layers sounds. I.e. when you layer a slow attack string cause it sounds fat you have to get something else with a very fast and short attack and slow release. this will make it more playable and you can hear the slower sound still very well. Think about it like you are layering drums.

I don`t know but I guess storch got an xs too now.

Here is the Motif ES patch list.
http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/.../motifese2.pdf
Old 22nd March 2008
  #109
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I can understand wanting to know how to get a great sound. But, what's the fascination with duplicating another producers production style?

If the A&R's at the label are looking for that type of track, they are gonna call Scott Storch for the track not you or me. By the time you figure out how to duplicate that producers style, it will already be played out and everyone will be on some other ****. My advice is to develop your own style if you want to make a name for yourself. Get your own drums and your own keyboard trick sound for your strings. Then, people will come on the forums asking us how you get your kicks and string sound.
My sentiments exactly!!
Be your own person and not a "biter"

FYI..if you have a KNOWLEDGE of how strings are played, all the nuances,bowings, articulations etc, then half the battle is won.

In a real string session there are usually several components which make up a section and they are 1st violins,2nd violins,violas,celli and bass viol.

Now, if you are programming strings, play each part seperately and NOT in big block chords.
if you do play chords, play the respective notes within the chord with their corresponding section part,ie..the high note,middle note,low note etc, with a different timbre,just as its done in a real life session.

I am a REAL string arranger, and have been doing this for decades so therefore I am only trying to help you get better results, but only if you want to listen..
Old 22nd March 2008
  #110
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Now, if you are programming strings, play each part seperately and NOT in big block chords.
if you do play chords, play the respective notes within the chord with their corresponding section part,ie..the high note,middle note,low note etc, with a different timbre,just as its done in a real life session.
+1

This one is really, really essential!
Old 23rd March 2008
  #111
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 

IMHO,I havent heard any string parts on hip hop records that are any good,including those by the people who you mention, because to me they SUCK..big time.
You must think and sequence as though you know your stuff and to me, what Im hearing is total crap.

Its ok for an effect but nothing else.

BTW,the Motif strings are not convincing at all.
Trust me.

The Triton strings, notably Octave Strings,Arco Strings,String World,Composite Strings and several others are more realisticif played and articulated correctly.
String bows have resin on them and on these particular patches,if you know what you are listening for,its there.
Im not talking about some bull**** block chords, anyone can do that.
Im talking about using your creative chops and brainpower to think out the parts as a real arranger would do.

Not for anything, but I can play you some string arrangements which were done on my Triton Studio which would make you forget about the Motif.

Just my two cents.

BTW, those string parts you all are speaking about sound amateur.
Old 23rd March 2008
  #112
Lives for gear
 
H-Rezz's Avatar
 

From what i've heard i think the best sounding strings that i think would be good for HipHop and RnB are not to be found in Workstations Synths but String libraries....not all at that because you do not want your strings to compete with heavy beats,bass vocs and so fourth, so simply getting a great sounding Orchestral libraries like East/West will not cut it in a HipHop track, you need more focused strings to sit in the mix yet fillout without taking over ....

Most important as Philly said is to be able to spread them out like real string voicings, if you haven't got the theorietical knowledge to do that straight up, experiment until they sound right, put in a lot of time and hrs in because if you have a decent set of ears this will cut down the time it takes the second time round because you know what you are going for ...

This library is one i would suggest .....they have a nice attack on them


String Essentials 2nd Edition :: Classical/Orchestral :: Virtual Instruments :: Sounds Online
Old 24th March 2008
  #113
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
BTW,the Motif strings are not convincing at all.
Trust me.

The Triton strings, notably Octave Strings,Arco Strings,String World,Composite Strings and several others are more realisticif played and articulated correctly.
I agree to that but it depends what on what the musician is looking for. If he`s looking for crappy string sounds for some reason he would use them.

If it comes down to a real strings emulation there are some top-notch VSTs, VSL, EWSO etc. They come close to the real sound. But only close.
Old 24th March 2008
  #114
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssl_ambition View Post
I agree to that but it depends what on what the musician is looking for. If he`s looking for crappy string sounds for some reason he would use them.

If it comes down to a real strings emulation there are some top-notch VSTs, VSL, EWSO etc. They come close to the real sound. But only close.
Tru dat
Old 25th March 2008
  #115
Lives for gear
 
MYAMS's Avatar
 

Im sure someone has brought this up but just to reiterate, the key is the technique he emloys and not the patch he uses. SS is probably the most ripped on producer, particular by kids just getting into beat making, but no one has really been able to recreate his signature string move. I have however heard a J-Rotem track he did for the D.E.Y. in which he pulls the string bending move perfectly- pretty impressive.

After seeing this thread back up yesterday, I decided to fiddle around and found that the key to doing it is to bend slowly while modulating up, and quickly back down on the release.

Also, play around with the groove of the sequence. If you listen carefully, you will notice on most of SS's tracks the drums are either perfectly quantized or follows a mild groove froma template on his mpc (2000XL?), but his string lines and other melodies are played in freehand.

I don't think he uses one main patch everytime he does a track with string bends its pointless to ask for the specific patch. the strings used on most of his '05 records most likely came from old roland modules like the 5080, triton/motif/fantom, old emu modules etc. as thats what he was using at the time. Im also sure he has some string libraries like VSL EWQL, so those are also fair game. USB plugsound-pro is also an option.

It is kind of pointless to try to emulate SS today lol that sound died a long time ago. Honestly, getting convincing string arrangements is very difficult, even if you know the basic structure of music and have decent keyboarding skills. If you are trying to develop your own keyboard tricks, learn more about real string instruments and the techniques string players employ. Learn about string arrangements- consider consulting respectable composers and arrangers if you know any.
Old 5th August 2019
  #116
Gear Head
 

The strings that Scott Storch was using for "Lean Back" and "Just A Little" bit are indeed Roland strings as that was acutally comming from an expansion board called "SRX-04 Symphonique Strings" that was installed in his "Roland XV-5080" sound module as he owned two of those modules. He was using his Motif ES8 as a midi controller midied to his MPC 2000XL to control and play the sounds from his XV-5080 at the time. I own the same expansion board myself that's installed in my Roland Fantom XR as the exact string patch he used for Lean Back was
"38 Spc Marc / Sw." Hope that makes sense.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump