The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
DYN BM6A or ADAM P22A or Dyn BM15A for HipHop
Old 19th August 2005
Gear Head

DYN BM6A or ADAM P22A or Dyn BM15A for HipHop

Looking for a good midsize monitor for Hiphop and R&B. The two mentioned
in the topic, I have not heard, but see they are popular.

I need a good bass response, but an acurate sound, not over hyped like
the Mackies.

Replacing a set of Genelec 1032's for larger Genelec Main playbacks,
and need a new midsize monitor for the bulk of the mix.

NS-10M will be used as smaller refrence monitors.

Thanks
Old 19th August 2005

Why don't you keep the 1032's?

I don't think these other choices are a step up from them. 1032's with NS10's would be a nice nearfield/ midfield setup.
Old 19th August 2005
Gear Guru

the BM15's are good speakers, nice low end response. But i dunno how much better or worse than the Genes, just different.
Old 19th August 2005
Gear Head

I was going to trade the 1032's for the larger Genelecs, and thought
it would be good to get a different brand-sound for the smaller ones.

Plus, I know I hear this all the time, but they just sound too damn good.

I think I could play the first Wu-Tang album in it, and it would sound
like a great mix. -lol

I think I need a pair that makes me think twice, before I end the mix.
Old 19th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I actually liked the BM6A's over the Genelec 1032A's for their detail but it was VERY close. But if you get the Dynaudio BM6A's....get a sub.
Old 19th August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSpace
I actually liked the BM6A's over the Genelec 1032A's for their detail but it was VERY close. But if you get the Dynaudio BM6A's....get a sub.
I think the BM6a's are great nearfields (actually one of my favorites), but they would suck as mid-fields even with 2 x BX30 subs. But, you are right they are great monitors and very accurate.
Old 19th August 2005
Lives for gear

What exactly is the purpose of midfields and what is the correct setup? I've only used nearfields and mains in my life.
Old 19th August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop
What exactly is the purpose of midfields and what is the correct setup? I've only used nearfields and mains in my life.
Alot of times you'll have three sets of monitors in the studio. Typical setup would be NS10's, 1032's and Augsbergers. You would do a lot of the mixing on the NS10's, then contrast them with the 1032's. You'd use the bigs to impress the A&R, artist and producer. The NS10's would give you the typical sounding car stereo type of thing going. The 1032's would give you the high fi home stereo type system. And of courses the bigs would give you the concert/ night club type of feeling. They all sound different and when it sounds good on all three you're done. Although everything seems to sound good through the 1032's... heh
Old 19th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
Alot of times you'll have three sets of monitors in the studio. Typical setup would be NS10's, 1032's and Augsbergers. You would do a lot of the mixing on the NS10's, then contrast them with the 1032's. You'd use the bigs to impress the A&R, artist and producer. The NS10's would give you the typical sounding car stereo type of thing going. The 1032's would give you the high fi home stereo type system. And of courses the bigs would give you the concert/ night club type of feeling. They all sound different and when it sounds good on all three you're done. Although everything seems to sound good through the 1032's... heh
Ok, cool. Just didn't know the terminology.
Old 19th August 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
You'd use the bigs to impress the A&R, artist and producer
^^^So true. A&R's seem to like anything when played loud enough.
Old 26th August 2005
Lives for gear

still tho'
if you're planning on making nightclub bangers.....wouldn't one Need a night club banging speaker?
how would a set of near/midfields (with a sub?) compare to a set of mains on 11?
can one mix for DaClub on near/midfields?
Old 26th August 2005
Lives for gear

My vote's on the BM6a. I used to use 2 different rooms for mixing hop hop, one had BM6 the other, BM15. I always preferred the balance of the 6 over the 15 even though the 15 had more weight. And when I heard it played out, again the 6 seemed to translate really well to a club.

The Adam's I really thought sounded sweet but I've grown used to the Dyn eq curve and personally find it easier to balance on them over anything else.
Old 26th August 2005
Gear Head

Rock - The night club speaker is going to be the bigger Genelec set-up with a sub.

1039 - which have a 15" and a Genelec sub that has either 2 12"s or 4 12"s

That would be the loud playback - nightclub sound.
Old 26th August 2005
wouldnt one 12" be enough?
Old 27th August 2005
Gear Maniac

have not tried the dyna's but i have heard that both models mentioned here are really lacking in the midrange. Particularly the lower mids....

Anyone hear this?
Old 28th August 2005
Gear Head

dharma - That's how the new Genelec subs come.
Old 28th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesadiq
I need a good bass response, but an acurate sound, not over hyped like
the Mackies.

Replacing a set of Genelec 1032's for larger Genelec Main playbacks,
and need a new midsize monitor for the bulk of the mix.

NS-10M will be used as smaller refrence monitors.
Large Genelec mains and NS10s covers a lot of ground.

For another nearfield, the BM6 is more even than the 15 to my ear, yet any 2 way is a poor midfield IMO. If you want low end from a near/mid the 15A would have much more ass.

A 3-way from Barefoot Sound, the Mini Main 12, is fantastic. These are hand made and hand tuned to match the Bryston SST amps strapped to the rear of each, with a 12" sub in the box (no port - real bass), 2 mid drivers and tweeter.

There's a brand new pair for sale here on GS for a great price.

These are full range, natural, and small footprint (25"w x 18"h) ... and they really sound amazing in all ranges. The have a 'baffle step' shelf to tweak them to the room, and as a midfield you'd be hard pressed to move from them to hear the other two while mixing.
Old 29th August 2005
Lives for gear

i've never been fond of the older genelecs...always went in other directions i'd take the dynaudio bm15 over the 1032 for any type of music. but the new gens are beast. we have 8050's with 1037's and a 7071 subwoofer in our home studio . its a great sound str8 up.
i took the 8050's over the adamn 2.5's and dyn.bm15's.. the adams were a lil to bright for my liking though very detailed and the bm15's lacked the midrange the 8050's had. both have a great bass responce. i think the dm15's go slightly deeper but the 8050's were my overall choice.
you need to model each monitor in the same environment to know what YOU really want vs what we all say.. tony along with others like ns10's, i use to but not anymore. i was forced to mix on ns10's last week and a friend of mines studio.. never been to fond of them. i'd rather mix on brittle ass mackies
Old 30th August 2005
Lives for gear

My BM15A's are great..but they are noticeably brighter than Genelecs.
I use these and NS10's as my secondary monitor.

BM15A's seem to do everything they should..and they are pleasant to work on.
They are big speakers for nearfields though and weigh a tonne!!
Old 30th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
Ieven with 2 x BX30 subs.
Are you suggesting running 2 subs?
Old 30th August 2005
Here for the gear

you should try the atc 16 these are so acurate and they blew away my bm6 .
The mids are all there and they translate realy well.
Old 30th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffydog
My BM15A's are great..but they are noticeably brighter than Genelecs.
I use these and NS10's as my secondary monitor.

BM15A's seem to do everything they should..and they are pleasant to work on.
They are big speakers for nearfields though and weigh a tonne!!
I rock the same setup... but with a sub on the NS-10s. The two different pics of the lowend get me through just about anything... the BM15a give me a better idea of what's happening from 60-200hz, and the sub with ns-10s help me sort out the mids and the deep subs (30-60). Highly recommended for hip-hop, very complimentary.
Old 30th August 2005
Gear Maniac

If you go for the BM6A's be sure to listen to your favorite mixes on these speakers...CLOSELY. Use these reference mixes as a guide. Because you are going to be hearing a whole lot more information (sound and stereo-field) on these speakers than is usual. I don't know if this is "accurate" but I like it. It's like hyper-reality with these speakers. You gotta be careful. Mids and highs are more pronounced? But bass is still there...weird. With a sub I rock a room about 20"x20" with NO problem.
Old 30th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it reel
you should try the atc 16 these are so acurate and they blew away my bm6 .
The mids are all there and they translate realy well.
Is that the T16?

Those look a very interesting alternative.

"Voiced for dance music"
Old 31st August 2005
Here for the gear

yeah thats the T16....these things rock for mixing, they dont have a wow factor...which probably makes them perfect for balance, accuracy, and translation.
They make my bm6a sound like hi fi speakers, which is good for the customers to listen to but everything seems to sound good through them, but with the atc you realy can hear what youve got right and what you havnt.

I dont own a pair myself but these are on top of my want list.
Old 1st September 2005
Here for the gear

Take a listen for yourself.

I would suggest borrowing some BM15A's and doing some mixing on them. I own a pair, but mostly for rock. There is many places that will loan them to you for testing. i don't know what part of the country you are in, but i may b able to help you on that. Listening is the only way to really know. Talk is cheap as they say. What about TANNOY System 1200"s. They seem pretty good as well, with a sub. Giz came to my studio and loved the Big Dynaudio M3's and he's been doing a bunch of stuff for DEF JAM. It' a very subjective thing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search