The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pre amp advice around 300 bucks
Old 29th June 2009
Gear Head

Pre amp advice around 300 bucks

YEAH IM A RAP/HIP HOP ARTIST TRYING TO SETUP HOME STUDIO ON A BUDGET AND IM LOOKING FOR A NICE PREAMP FOR JUST VOCALS WITH A AUDIO TECHNICA 4040 MIC .. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT THESE THREE PRE'S I SHOULD SAY CHANNEL STRIPS ANY ADVICE WILL BE APPRECIATED.

ART Pro Channel Tube Mic Preamp

PreSonus Studio Channel Tube Channel Strip

Focusrite TrakMaster Pro Channel Strip

I HAVE BEEN REALLY LOOKING CLOSELY AT THESE 3 BUT WILL GLAD APPRECIATE OTHER PREAMPS RECCOMENDED..
Old 29th June 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by samtownhustler View Post
YEAH IM A RAP/HIP HOP ARTIST TRYING TO SETUP HOME STUDIO ON A BUDGET AND IM LOOKING FOR A NICE PREAMP FOR JUST VOCALS WITH A AUDIO TECHNICA 4040 MIC .. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT THESE THREE PRE'S I SHOULD SAY CHANNEL STRIPS ANY ADVICE WILL BE APPRECIATED.

ART Pro Channel Tube Mic Preamp

PreSonus Studio Channel Tube Channel Strip

Focusrite TrakMaster Pro Channel Strip

I HAVE BEEN REALLY LOOKING CLOSELY AT THESE 3 BUT WILL GLAD APPRECIATE OTHER PREAMPS RECCOMENDED..
Well, One that you should have on your list is the ART TUBE PAC, It gets great reviews, good preamp/compressor..I should mine for 80 bucks a while ago!! Don't let the price fool ya..I have 3 "over $1,000.00 pre's" and the tube pac holds it's own.
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

For 300$ check this out

For 300$, check this out, you won't go wrong with that:

Golden Age Project

GOod luck!

Cheeeeeeeeeers!
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

just got the art pro mpa (Analog not digital out)
Cost $124 out the door in like new shape. In fact is it new?
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Since the 4040 is a pretty neutral mic, id say for another 95 bills, try to grab an auteur. Then ull have 2 channels, in case you decide to track some stereo things as well.
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Head

thanks guys for ur help but can any onehelp me chose between the three
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Wait, the Pro channel is im told starved plate, the cheaper kind of tube pre amp.

$300 gets you the ART MPA GOLD Preamp + FREE 5 Whirlwind XLR & UPS SHIP! - eBay (item 220446123034 end time Jul-31-09 08:41:53 PDT)

Its great! Plus it has digital and I think the MPC and ASR10 has spdif.
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
For 300$, check this out, you won't go wrong with that:

Golden Age Project

GOod luck!

Cheeeeeeeeeers!

+1
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

If you have a soldering iron, dig around here:
Lunchbox Mic Preamp, 500 Series Mic Preamp, DIY Mic Preamp, Power Supply Kits - FiveFishStudios.com - Home

A whole step up (and not much more loot) from Focus-wrong, Preson-ass and f-Art gear
Old 7th July 2009
Gear Head

The thing is guys... I read for rap/hip hop vocals you need a compressor before you enter the daw so any suggestions for good pre amp and compressor both for about $350 can be two different units also...im mostly getting replies for just the preamp which i really appreciate guys but i do need compression before the daw
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

This is not true,
Compression is not needed before your DAW!!! You can Use compression in the mix
Its Hip Hop not r&b right?

Get The Pre73 or the BLA Auteur!!
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

If you want a pre with high voltage tubes and big iron transformers the only answer in that price range is a GT Brick. Not a lot of flash and not a lot of bells and whistles but it gets the job done like nothing else at even twice the price
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
The thing is guys... I read for rap/hip hop vocals you need a compressor before you enter the daw so any suggestions for good pre amp and compressor both for about $350 can be two different units also...im mostly getting replies for just the preamp which i really appreciate guys but i do need compression before the daw

Not if you have reasonable performance skills you don't. A compressor before the DAW most certainly not necessary. I don't do rap but I have recorded with a DAW for close to 10 years now and have never needed a compressor in front of the DAW for any source
Old 8th July 2009
Gear Head

heres a sample of my music as you can see i knew hardly nothing on production at first and i was using a behringer c-1 microphone no pop filter/sock> behringer shark dsp110 pre >on a line 6 gx interface >straight to computer and i am completely disgusted with the sound but one thing i notice about our music we are peakin and its not compressed at all i was using cool edit pro in a untreated room. lol kind of funny to me but i have done my research lately plenty hours on the net on various recording sites and our music sounds nowhere close to industry to me and help would be appreciate if you dont listen to rap you might not wanna click the link, sorry had to get that out.... but back to pre's are you guys saying just buy the best pre and forget about compression until DAW and i do have the waves c1 and c4 vst's plugged in cubase le 4 and the rest of their platinum bundle but im still not bought on compression after DAW for my kind of Hip Hop /Rap especially for chant situations in choruses can anyone sell me

Southside Mafia (Official Page) on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=samtownhustler;4356568]

but im still not bought on compression after DAW for my kind of Hip Hop /Rap especially for chant situations in choruses can anyone sell me

You've had a few people here clarify that its kl to add compression after you've recorded and your still lost, I really dont know.
If your chanting, shouting or screaming learn how to position yourself in distance from the mic.
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post
If your chanting, shouting or screaming learn how to position yourself in distance from the mic.
or ride the input while recording.
or write volume automation while mixing.

A compressor is basically a little gnome that runs the faders better and faster than you ever could.
There are many ways to control dynamics.
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

How much does the GAP-73 cost? I can't find the price at their site.
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

THE FIRST THING YOU SHOULD DO IT TURN OFF THE COMPRESSOR ON YOUR COMPUTER KEYBOARD. ITS MAKING YOU TYPE ALL UPPERCASE.

I'd say for ~$300ish, just buy/build a Seventh Circle Audio kit. I think you can get the basic kit going for any of their comps for around $300ish or so. Killer stuff plus you get to build it yourself (its pretty easy)
Old 9th July 2009
Lives for gear

M Audio DMP3 $150: 2 channels of 72db of clean gain. Very nice.

Rane MS1B $150 single channel. Burr Brown opamp, very nice.

Art Pro MPA is a good alternative to these but will not have better noise specs.

Really the DMP3 is a major sleeper round these parts. You'd have enough gain to do condensers, dynamics and ribbons without a worry!

Peace
Illumination
Old 9th July 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
All BS..I have never in 25 years used a compressor on the way in....
Old 9th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
All BS..I have never in 25 years used a compressor on the way in....
Really? I've found it definitely helps to get your tracks right the first time, and then tweak them later. Compressing on the way in changed the way I do things.
Old 9th July 2009
Gear Head

maybe i should say whats best for rap hip/hop recording... not just DAW recording peroid... im asking whats the best way to get that almost industry sound im looking for in a gangsta rap recording like young jeezy, for say ,gucci mane, webbie/boosie, or even a rick ross maybe i love his quality not lyrics as much. Maybe for rock or pop or similar genre its good not to compress first b/c i havent ran into a hiphop/rap guy yet who says dont compress before the DAW just because its that genre... remember rapping into DAW or Mic and Singing into one is two totally different situations from my stand point and many professionals stand point to......You guys dont think a hardware compressor would help a novice engineer tame dynamics way better b/c im still a noob on EQ and Everything Else just started out to record professional sounding work.
Old 9th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
maybe i should say whats best for rap hip/hop recording... not just DAW recording peroid... im asking whats the best way to get that almost industry sound im looking for in a gangsta rap recording like young jeezy, for say ,gucci mane, webbie/boosie, or even a rick ross maybe i love his quality not lyrics as much. Maybe for rock or pop or similar genre its good not to compress first b/c i havent ran into a hiphop/rap guy yet who says dont compress before the DAW just because its that genre... remember rapping into DAW or Mic and Singing into one is two totally different situations from my stand point and many professionals stand point to......You guys dont think a hardware compressor would help a novice engineer tame dynamics way better b/c im still a noob on EQ and Everything Else just started out to record professional sounding work.
What will get you professional sounding work, is that YOU know how to get a professional sounding recording. (A professional artist helps a lot as well.)
That knowledge is both a knowledge of the equipment, music and how the two interact best in a given environment. Not to mention, your interaction as an engineer, with everyone else in the session.
As with anything, experience is the best teacher.

Just getting a compressor because "i havent ran into a hiphop/rap guy yet who says dont compress before the DAW just because its that genre"
is missing the whole point completely and altogether.

Here's an honest suggestion, learn how a compressor works and why and when a professional engineer would use it.
Then get an outboard one and play with it A LOT.
Something like a couple 160XT's which are great outboard comps that you can take with you when you graduate the amateur academy.

And by A LOT I mean take 2 or 3 years.

By then, you will have (hopefully) answered your own questions and probably will see why those questions are ridiculous to begin with.
Old 9th July 2009
Gear Nut

Comfort Zone

A compressor on the way in can give you a nice comfort zone as a performer AND as an engineer. The performer can just cut loose and the engineer can think about the performance and the big picture, not worry too much about levels. But you can **** it up. Too squashed just sucks and is hard to fix. Cheap compressors will have a "sound" that sucks as well.

For instance: One unit I have is an M-Audio Tampa (preamp + optical compressor) and while the preamp is not the most clear, the compressor friggin rocks. Just let it ride the levels (avg. -6db reduciton) for a thicker sound. This doesn't have nearly as much to do with getting correct levels (i.e. peaks) as it does with the sound. What you capture is a more in your face, intimate sound. Drive it a little and you get a mild edge of distortion that's often welcome for more hardcore forms of music.

Some of this sound can be had from tube pres and tube mics, then created later by the mixer (you HAVE to compress and/or limit the vox at some point - it's not f***ing opera). But if you're careful, you can get a better sound intially into your DAW.

BTW Just go buy these things and return them and switch them out until you get one that sounds right to you. And don't forget about the room and the mic technique of the performer!

-Rob
Old 9th July 2009
Gear Nut

Who Missed the point?

I think perhaps Stitch missed the point: the poster's asking for advice and telling us what he thinks. It's OK to correct misconceptions, but not OK to shoot down his aspirations. Plenty of artists have picked up the right piece of gear and done a vocal track that would give your Grandma a heart attack. It doesn't have to be rocket science - making it seem so is being a vibe-crusher. If that was your intent...
Old 9th July 2009
Gear Head

Trust me i dont think anyone can hurt my aspirations as of right now but the reason i keep talkin about compression is because i know how different my dynamics or peaks or whateva sound when i wanna rap with intensity prob for most of my songs and no i dont have the best mic techniques or prob non of the local rappers im going to record so instead of all day telling them not to rap a line so strong b/c its not even with the rest of the verse or they might just wanna say their very last line of verse with intensity...i can just rest assure that it will be smooth and not to loud or harsh sounding... so i can go on with the mix and post processing....i mean at first i thought well just dont rap as loud or hard but then i realized i want that passion or intensity in to my songs without the hassle of the unprofessional sound... i mean if anybody understands me let know but its obvious some guys in here just think they know everything about home recording but really form my stand point no nothing about hiphop/gangsta rap......and im a beginner so getting a better source sound coming in will always be best in my eyes for me b/c i have little experience in post processing...thanks "TIBBON" AND "ISLEBEATUDOWN" AND EVERYONE ELSE THAT was willing to help without getting agitated with me and my compression questions u to STICH333...even though it wasnt to friendly but i have been insulted worse im from Alexandria, LA couple miles away from Jena u know the Jena 6...... lol

just pull a thread from 06 or something thats the title dont know the forum tricks to get you right to it but they are discussing compression before or after

Anybody track rap vox without compression?
Old 13th July 2009
Gear Nut

So you know, I worked as assistant engineer on R&B stuff like Monica/Usher/etc. (Dallas Austen productions in Atlanta) - a long time ago. So not directly rap, per se, but I listen to it and know some of the recording habits. What you're saying makes a lot of sense. The important thing will be to not kill the sound before it gets into the DAW. It would be nice to have a compressor to thicken the sound and level it a bit, then a brickwall limiter to just squash any random transients (peak signals) that threaten the recording level. That's a nearly foolproof setup and any loss of audio quality is more than made up for this thicker sound and the feedom the artists will feel. And use the pop filter/screen to keep them off the mic whatever distance sounds best and keep the spit off your nice mic.
Old 13th July 2009
Lives for gear

I'm kinda shocked that no one else has said that Seventh Circle stuff. Everyone in the main forum and high end forum seem to love them. They don't take more than a few hours to put together and are solid sounding.
Old 14th July 2009
I'm thinking about selling my Art Digital MPA w Telefunken tubes in it since I'd rather use the SSL Alpha Channel with my Tube mic. So if you want it, send me a message.
Old 14th July 2009
Lives for gear

Hiphop/Gangasta Rap ???

Dude R u serious ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search