The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Parallel compression in Rap?
Old 18th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Parallel compression in Rap?

Hey guys, do you use paralell compression on your drums in Rap. I always layer my kicks and snares but have not previously thought of mixing compressed drums with the same non compressed drums.

Which method do you prefer.
Old 18th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatzz
Hey guys, do you use paralell compression on your drums in Rap. I always layer my kicks and snares but have not previously thought of mixing compressed drums with the same non compressed drums.

Which method do you prefer.

Both.

A typical mix no matter what the style i always use both.
Old 18th August 2005
no ssl yet
Thrill

When I first came to gearslutz, the concept of "parallel compression" was fairly new as a concept for me. But once I began to think about it. I have always used compressed versions of the kick/snr etc in my mults along with uncompressed versions. I just never bussed the drums to a compressor to add back to the uncompressed signal.

I guess I have always used parallel compression without thinking about it
Old 18th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet
When I first came to gearslutz, the concept of "parallel compression" was fairly new as a concept for me. But once I began to think about it. I have always used compressed versions of the kick/snr etc in my mults along with uncompressed versions. I just never bussed the drums to a compressor to add back to the uncompressed signal.

I guess I have always used parallel compression without thinking about it
Parallel compression and serial/split compression are 2 different concepts.

Parallels are usually on a buss.

Serials/split are usually on the channels.

I do both when mixing drums and bass.

I wouldn't know how well it works mixing ITB since i only mix OTB.
Old 18th August 2005
no ssl yet
I understand what you are saying KINDA

Whats the difference if I place it on a bus or not sonically?

If I do serial/split compression of a kick track then Im combining the uncompressed kick with the compressed kick.

IF I do this via a buss, then what is the difference?

I'm assuming that the difference is that when I do Parallel compression on a buss, then I'm compressing the entire kit and adding to the uncompressed kit which would yield a different compression character.

Still I would say I've always unconciously done this (without knowing a name for it) because I've always added a bus of the kick/bass guitar to the original tracks. I seldom keep my snr in the bus though (maybe I should try it otb and see if it makes me do it differently)
Old 18th August 2005
Quote:

I'm assuming that the difference is that when I do Parallel compression on a buss, then I'm compressing the entire kit and adding to the uncompressed kit which would yield a different compression character.

This is what i meant.

Quote:

Still I would say I've always unconciously done this (without knowing a name for it) because I've always added a bus of the kick/bass guitar to the original tracks. I seldom keep my snr in the bus though (maybe I should try it otb and see if it makes me do it differently)

Sorry i misunderstood.

I thought you meant a split not a buss.

Its more common to do splits than do parallels.

I remember when i first started engineering rap the hardest part was to squeeze out the parts of a loop(bass and snare).

The only way to do it was to buss it and split it on on different channles.

A hard filter low pass for bass on one.

A bandpass filter for the snare on 2 and the stereo loop on 2 faders for the hi's and mids.

Of course there was phase shifts all over the place but you made them work anyway.
Old 18th August 2005
ILL
Gear Maniac

You kind of lost me in this thread. Could you elaborate a bit more in detail how to do this so i can check it out for myself.

Regards...
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

Dam thrill..I tried that loop tech. with the eq filters a while back, but the phase shifting made me abandon it. U make me wanna try it again. I only used 2 filters though, high pass and low pass.

as for parallel or split what ever u wanna call it...... I started using bus sends from each, the kick & snare to a stereo aux track and patching in a stereo compressor. This phattens the kick and snare real nice. sometimes, i'll use "DUB Track" to copy the kick, snare or bass

sometimes I bus the kick and snare outputs to a stereo aux and add in a stereo compressor or limiter.
Old 18th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic
Dam thrill..I tried that loop tech. with the eq filters a while back, but the phase shifting made me abandon it. U make me wanna try it again. I only used 2 filters though, high pass and low pass.

as for parallel or split what ever u wanna call it...... I started using bus sends from each, the kick & snare to a stereo aux track and patching in a stereo compressor. This phattens the kick and snare real nice. sometimes, i'll use "DUB Track" to copy the kick, snare or bass

sometimes I bus the kick and snare outputs to a stereo aux and add in a stereo compressor or limiter.
Nuk,

This is was back in the "loop period' of hiphop/rap.

When good samplers became affordable.

Some of the stuff was filtered, but a lot was some steep parametric EQ's.

I got real good at pulling sounds out using EQ's and gates(those were the good old days).

I know back then i would check the phase by flipping one against the other.

I never really used auxes for my splits or parallels.

I always prefer to leave them for effects.

Most of the older consoles only had six so they were precious. heh

Also on some consoles the auxes sounded different than the busses.

You got around that though.

Yeah the whole split/parallel thing is pretty common these days.

Mines are not as complicated though.

Its usually 2 for the kick and 2-3 for the snares.

Bass these days its one and once in a blue moon 2.

Once in a while i buss the kicks and basses to a sub harm generator.

I prefer to do it to the toms though.
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I never really used auxes for my splits or parallels.

I always prefer to leave them for effects.

Most of the older consoles only had six so they were precious.
one day we'll get you over to "IN THE BOX" world
But i know what u mean. on an analog board I would sometimes use the insert of the kick/snare/bass track to send the signal to another free track for doctor-ing

I still get a few cats using all sample loops for tracks. Makes u work the ears and brain. Some just have straight mono loops others chop them up, which is better than whole loops.

I'm wondering if I can build a new setup with a few rooms for mostly tracking stuff and leave the mixing most of to others??? hummm
Old 18th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic
one day we'll get you over to "IN THE BOX" world
But i know what u mean. on an analog board I would sometimes use the insert of the kick/snare/bass track to send the signal to another free track for doctor-ing

I still get a few cats using all sample loops for tracks. Makes u work the ears and brain. Some just have straight mono loops others chop them up, which is better than whole loops.

I'm wondering if I can build a new setup with a few rooms for mostly tracking stuff and leave the mixing most of to others??? hummm
I was in the In the BOX world for almost 2-3 years(2000-2003).

I thought i would set the world on fire and carve a niche for myself.

All i did was go down in flames.

I am back and happy on analog and will stay till its truly no more.

There are days i wish ITB was possible for me though.

I would love to be able to call up a mix and have it come back the same way.

But its a compromise that i've gladly taken.

I don't engineer hiphop/rap anymore, but this year i've been mixing a real cool rap project.

Its more of the old school NY underground sound.

So yeah its loops and sounds plus the beats.

The tracking is horrendous but i love the groups spirit so i don't mind using the old Jedi mind tricks to get the tracks to work.

Plus they let me do whatever i want to make the tracks work so i'm actually semi involved in the production.
Old 6th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Hey this is an old thread, but I was wondering thrill if you could share some parallel compression tips.

Also if there's anyone doing this ITB, feel free to chime in as well.
Old 6th January 2007
Lives for gear

this thread is a gem

I'll tell you a trick for all those mixtape clients who bring two tracks into the stu to record with...run a parallel compression bus from the 2trk and nuke it. Even better, run two and HP on one and LP on the other before nuking each.

otherwise parallel comp is a staple of every mix I do.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search