The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Grudge Match: MPC 4000 vs. Roland MV-8000
Old 17th August 2005
Grudge Match: MPC 4000 vs. Roland MV-8000

Which is better? Whattya say?
Old 17th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Akai hands down. Nothing top that MPC swing and it's industry standard. Don't think anything else.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

I think it's just a matter of preference. I mean, after all, you are still just triggering samples. SAmples don't sound better or worse in either unit. I'd say for reliability, AKAI is the winner as they have been in the "MPC" business for a long time. So, if I wasen't sure, I'd go with the company that has a proven product.

That's what I did...MPC4000 all day!
Old 17th August 2005
no ssl yet
Roland

I've been using Akai units, but I began on Rolands and always hoped for a roland Sampling machine. But I switched to Akai, because Roland didnt step up
Old 18th August 2005
DAT
Gear Head

These guys don't think so
www.mvnation.com
Old 18th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface
I think it's just a matter of preference. I mean, after all, you are still just triggering samples. SAmples don't sound better or worse in either unit.
I dunno. Filters, effects, which operating system/control layout is more elegant? The MV-8000 has some cool-sounding features, like auto-slicing loops. Which one has better i/o options? Etc. Seems like there are a lot of areas that differentiate the two units. Of course "it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing" is a perfectly reasonable argument in favor of the MPC, regardless of how everything else stacks up, if some feel that way. Hmmm...
Old 18th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT
These guys don't think so
www.mvnation.com
.....and they say that you can mport Akai snd files.

Just get the Akai and it ask for nothing from Roland. If anyone is using sample, what format are you using if it is not Akai? ........a Roland format?
Keep a peace of mind. just stick with Akai's reputation and you won't be doomed.

--Peace
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiospace
I dunno. Filters, effects, which operating system/control layout is more elegant? The MV-8000 has some cool-sounding features, like auto-slicing loops. Which one has better i/o options? Etc. Seems like there are a lot of areas that differentiate the two units. Of course "it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing" is a perfectly reasonable argument in favor of the MPC, regardless of how everything else stacks up, if some feel that way. Hmmm...
It's all what works for you. If people want to take a risk on a new "copy" product idea, then more power to them. It's been said that when someone copys you, it's the biggest form of flattery. (Or something like that.) Well, Akai should be flattered.

One of the big things that turned me on about the 4000 AFTER I made the purchase was, that it's OS is very similar to the Akai S5000/6000. It's like having the MPC and S5000 in one package. The way you set up multi's, programs, samples, layers and on and on...is simply brilliant. Combine that with Akaisys via USB and you can archive all day long. Reorganize a whole drive in minutes. Yet, still maintain the power of the MPC as an external device. First word that comes to mind...rugged. I would feel comfortable taking an MPC of ANY kind on the road without worry. Rock solid machine.

The Roland may well be similar. It may have the MPC pads...it may have USB and on and on but what it dosen't have is a track record. The only thing it really has is Jermaine Dupri raving about it. (Do I hear endorsement money)

Naw...don't mean to discredit it. But the point is, I personally don't sink $1500-2000 or more into equipment that hasn't proven that it can stand the test of time. What if Roland dosen't sell enough units? I'll tell you what. They will stop supporting it and you will be stuck with whatever OS you have and all it's bugs as they prepare for a new product to take it's place.

Not sayin it will happen but not knowing, for me, isn't worth the risk. I'll stick with AKAI.
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl
Keep a peace of mind. just stick with Akai's reputation and you won't be doomed.

--Peace
Old 18th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface
What if Roland dosen't sell enough units? I'll tell you what. They will stop supporting it and you will be stuck with whatever OS you have and all it's bugs as they prepare for a new product to take it's place.
good point
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

I found the mpc4k to be kind of kludgy in implementation in the year I owned it...

the "split architecture" of the sequencer and sampler kind of lost a step from the 2k/3k MPCs... It's like they put the Z sampler in the same box but forgot to actually tie it in in the OS...

I don't even want to talk about the 1k...
Old 18th August 2005
no ssl yet
copy

Considering the fact that Roland has a much longer history of making drum machines, one could argue that Akai actually "copied" the concept and put in sampling

I seriously think about getting a 4k, but I know with all the software being used and computers getting faster, that eventually a 4k will be $600. In the meantime I already have a 2k, soft samplers etc...

I keep asking myself "DO I NEED a $2000 drum machine"
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

right now i prefer the Mv8000 over the mpc... no mater what series... but i do know the power of a mpc and have always liked them but the mv is my personal preference
at my new studio i'll have the mpc4000 and the mv8000 so i'll have the best of both worlds
Old 18th August 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_wax
I found the mpc4k to be kind of kludgy in implementation in the year I owned it...

the "split architecture" of the sequencer and sampler kind of lost a step from the 2k/3k MPCs... It's like they put the Z sampler in the same box but forgot to actually tie it in in the OS...

I don't even want to talk about the 1k...
What about the 1k. I have a 1000 and 60 and the 100 serves me well
Old 18th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax18709
What about the 1k. I have a 1000 and 60 and the 100 serves me well
I can take the 1k on the airplane with me. It serve me well too because it's about the size of a lap top. It also has that funnky swing to it for about $700. If money is tight, just get the 1k.

--Al
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

Um, compared to the others in the MPC family, it's kind of a nice toy.

Lots of core features lacking... And the editing just blows... Fine if you just want a box to pound out beats on, tho. (And if you have no experience with the others --ahem-- you won't know the difference.)
Old 10th September 2005
Here for the gear

Will it save me?

Tried the MV8000, but there are a lot of things I basically don't like at all about it. Dim display (with streaks! Geez, what the hell were Roland thinking?), weird layout, strange sequencer, slow load times, buried options which affect major things .. dunno. Too many button presses to do anything.

I like the MPC4k's focus: do two things, and do them well. Unfortunately I can't find one around here to play with so I can't offer opinions on it. But from all I've read, I'm very very tempted to buy one blind, especially now that Akai finally got their software finished.

I *did* find an MPC1k to play with and instantly loved it. Would have bought one right there had I gobs of money to burn. But I don't know if that feel really carries to the 4k at all.

Hoping the MPC4k can be a composition tool worth what the Ensoniq SQ1 and/or EZVision was to me (hey! stop snickering over there) .. and I don't really do hip-hop unless I'm in one of those moods .. so am I crazy?
Old 10th September 2005
Lives for gear

All,

I like the Roland product, & especially the effects section. But, I need more MIDI ports, & direct sequencing compatability with the rest of the MPC family so to me the only answer is the MPC 4000. After getting oriented with the MPC 4000 there's no going back for me. I've gotten spoiled. Even the new MPC 2500 can't touch a MPC 4000 in my opinion.

Rob G.. thumbsup stike heh
Old 27th August 2010
Here for the gear

tips for MV 8000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMusic View Post
right now i prefer the Mv8000 over the mpc... no mater what series... but i do know the power of a mpc and have always liked them but the mv is my personal preference
at my new studio i'll have the mpc4000 and the mv8000 so i'll have the best of both worlds
that fence must be right up your stupid dumb ass!
DONT GO NEAR THEM, waste of time.....

the MV8000 for anyone with half a clue would know its a pile of steaming hot runny excrement,
the interface grapics are of a ******** outdated look which should give you a hint of the amount of thought that went into this MPC (LOOKaLIKE).
the paramaters are thrown together,
the machine has a very limited capacity compared with the MPC3000 even never mind the 2500 - 4000,
its quantize is a pile of crap which early Cubase programs running on ATARI ST's can easily crush...
the effects are not much to right home about either,
whats the story with the outputs? mind boggled
THE MACHINE IS SOO BAD THOMANN DOESNT EVEN SELL EM

monkey see, monkey do!
monkey pee all over you.....
dfegadstiketutt
Old 27th August 2010
Lives for gear

I have an 8000, a 2000, and a 60 with all the goodies. At the main studio I use the 60 with an asr-x pro. I use the mv at my home. And the 2000 sits at the house. Roland definitely has a rep in the drum machine area. Their drum machines r some of the biggest influences in the music industry. (808, 303, 909, etc.). If u want more options then go with the mv. If u want somthn simple then the mp is it. I like both a lot. The mv definitely blazes any mpc as far as features. But the mpc feels so good. The mv sounds better in my opinion. Roland does put more work into their converters. That's y their recorders sound so good. Try both.
Old 27th August 2010
Lives for gear

I'd take an MPC 5000 over the MV 8000...just saying.
Old 27th August 2010
Lives for gear

MV sounds huge and good quality.But does not flow like the mp.Also its not like there previous products ie R8,S series ect.Not as refined imo.I bought one because i heard it was the S series sound engine.NOT.Saying that a recording from fruity loops sampled into the mv came out with much more power.More than my mpc 4000.soooo...........
Old 27th August 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
.....and they say that you can mport Akai snd files.
just stick with Akai's reputation and you won't be doomed.

--Peace
You mean Nukai? Yeah they haven't made any crap...... Mean while many look for Roland sounds to put in their MPC. (tr808)

I have 2 MPC's and an MV8800. Don't get me wrong I love my MPC's but they DO NOT stack up to the MV. Feature for feature the MV wins almost every time.

The work flow is smoother. It sounds great. Auto chop is a lot smoother than Akai's chop shop. Yes you can use a few Akai formats with it.

I see people talking about swing. Huh? As if you can't get any type of swing that you want on the MV. Play what you want it's there. If you're the type that needs help there are plenty of swing templates to aid you.

Also on the MV the digital out(s) do not mirror the analog outs.

Did I mention VGA. It makes editing a breeze.
Old 27th August 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck rogers View Post

the MV8000 for anyone with half a clue would know its a pile of steaming hot runny excrement,
You clearly do not have a clue.
Old 27th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know1 View Post
i agree with you. also as far as the timing i do like the mpc better but if u know how to use the mv the timing really isnt an issue. people that come from an mpc expect the mv to work like an mpc. it doesnt. it works like an mv!
Old 28th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know1 View Post
+ 1
Old 28th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Proud owner ov the MV-8000 for about 6 years. When I got it I was torn between the MV & MPC 4000 (5000 & 2500 weren't out yet). The features/ workflow of the MV won me over, 8 audio tracks, VA synth, etc.Both are sick machines, but the MV suits me better. Also I was already familiar with other Roland gear, so I thought that I'd figure it out quicker.
Old 28th August 2010
Gear Addict

yaaawnnn... *pulls out RS7000 and wonders whats all the fuss about"
Old 28th August 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azriel_7 View Post
The settings on the MV are to mirror the mains or the multi-outs same as on the MPC.

Ummmm. NO they're not. By default they are set the same but the digital can be changed.
Here's how: System>Global>Digital Output.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yue56ZlaHEc

You just learned something new.
Old 28th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck rogers View Post
that fence must be right up your stupid dumb ass!

the interface grapics are of a ******** outdated look which should give you a hint of the amount of thought that went into this MPC (LOOKaLIKE).
the paramaters are thrown together,
the machine has a very limited capacity compared with the MPC3000 even never mind the 2500 - 4000,
its quantize is a pile of crap which early Cubase programs running on ATARI ST's can easily crush...
the effects are not much to right home about either,
whats the story with the outputs? mind boggled
THE MACHINE IS SOO BAD THOMANN DOESNT EVEN SELL EM

monkey see, monkey do!
monkey pee all over you.....
dfegadstiketutt

Talking about graphics outdated when you necro'd a 5 year old thread? No one sells the MV, you know why? Because its discontinued ****** bag.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search