The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How do you go about pitching Kicks without dramatically affecting the sound?
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Nut

How do you go about pitching Kicks without dramatically affecting the sound?

How do you go about pitching Kicks without dramatically affecting the sound? I have kicks that sound real good but when I try to pitch the kick to the key of the song, it doesn't sound as good anymore. Thanks in advance
Old 22nd June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by djclueveli View Post
How do you go about pitching Kicks without dramatically affecting the sound? I have kicks that sound real good but when I try to pitch the kick to the key of the song, it doesn't sound as good anymore. Thanks in advance
First, it's best to just use a different kick - one that is already the desired pitch - where possible.

Second, if you must tune a sample, doing so on the sampler itself often yields the best results.

Finally, if you must use a DAW or similar digital tuning method (such as PT's "pitch" plugin), it's best to do it on a one-hit by one-hit basis, in a way that renders a new file for each sample upon retuning (for example, use the Audiosuite version of "pitch" in PT), and turn off the option for time correction. This effectively slows down or speeds up the one-hit, which will yield more transparent results.
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Nut

Thanks alot Bgrotto! I see exactly what you are saying. Yea I need to just use a kick that is closer to the desired pitch because sometimes I find myself pitching a kick 500 cents just to reach the desired pitch and it completely alters the sound.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear
What bgrotto said.. I often pitch kicks, but very rarely do I pitch them a whole lot. It's usually there within -8 / +8 in Battery. If not, I might replace the sound. Or pitch it as desired and layer it up with a punchy kick that already has the desired tone (might remove the low end from one of 'em to make em fit etc.).
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

The best way to pitch kicks is to sample the kick and play it back on the keys. Simple.
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Ill stretch an 808 in kontakt and it sounds fine to me...
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

when sound designing... i'll just pitch whatever amount.
when fixing... what bgrotto said.
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike View Post
The best way to pitch kicks is to sample the kick and play it back on the keys. Simple.
+ 1

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search