The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Question about censoring for the radio
Old 19th June 2009
  #1
Question about censoring for the radio

Hey guys, my song Runway Model will be on the local radio in Toronto, but the hook says "why don't you bring that ass back down, you can be my runway model" and I was wondering if I'll need to censor ass.

Pretty sure that the Christina Aguilera song that says Superbitch doesn't get censored... What do you guys think? Should I do a clean version?
Old 19th June 2009
  #2
a k
Gear Nut
 

I'm pretty sure I've heard the word on the radio before, but I don't listen to the radio much... what station is it?

I heard the song in that thread you posted it in, it's pretty damn good
Old 19th June 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 
MYAMS's Avatar
 

not even, the song is like pg-13 at most not a big deal for using "ass".
Old 19th June 2009
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Put tapestop vst on ass. Automate it and bam. Simple as pie. And I'm sure it'll sound hot on the record. Goodluck and big ups on the radio placement.
Old 19th June 2009
  #5
Hey, for those who are interested, here's the finished song, with Stack dough doing his rap part in it. This is the final cut!

Yeah I agree, it is a pg13 type of song, I was just wondering really, because I can get paranoid about simple stuff like that. I didn't intend to release it on the radio (I was just doing it for a publisher who was looking for an Akon-type of song) but Stack knows people at Flow 93.5 in Toronto and I just contacted z103.5 here as well. It's confirmed that they are putting the song on rotation next week! In fact, Stack is the one who hooked me up with his new song feat. The Game, I thank him for that. I was already so happy that I would get to mix/master the track, but then he told me he wanted me to sing a hook for the chorus, now that is beyond expectation really, made my summer for sure!

Final cut, enjoy guys.

Vocals: We both used a MXL V69me with a NOS Mullard in it... As much as I thought that the mic was good, it was a nightmare when setting up the EQ on my voice. Stack Dough came over with his U87ai but his voice sounded much better on my mic, so we used mine instead.

Everything on the track was Recorded/mixed/mastered by me. I used the MicroX on a bunch of small synth parts, Zebra2, Sylenth1, Nexus and some really basic drums really. Fruity Loops for most of the instrumentals at 24bits/96k, vocals recorded in Adobe Audition.

My vocals: Not that much comping, I sang most of my verse takes from start to finish, didn't mix and match too much, Autotuned the center take to death, then 2 more layers at 35 and -35 with no auto-tune at all. echo on them.

Stacks: doubled vocals, then 2 tracks for 50 left and 50 right to emphasize words.

Last but not least, my vocal room is pretty decent, I treated it well so it helps a lot when tracking. Anyhow, just wanted to let you guys know if you were interested.

The overall track is decent, I did the best I could.
Old 19th June 2009
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikky View Post
Put tapestop vst on ass. Automate it and bam. Simple as pie. And I'm sure it'll sound hot on the record. Goodluck and big ups on the radio placement.
But do you think I really need to do it or no?
Old 19th June 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post
But do you think I really need to do it or no?
It literally takes a second to do and won't take away from how it sounds. It's worth it to avoid any hassle for not censoring it. I'd do it if I were you just to be on the safe side.
Old 19th June 2009
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikky View Post
It literally takes a second to do and won't take away from how it sounds. It's worth it to avoid any hassle for not censoring it. I'd do it if I were you just to be on the safe side.
Alright I'll do a censored version with tape stop vst then. The thing is, the ass part is in the hook though.
Old 19th June 2009
  #9
Lives for gear
 
MYAMS's Avatar
 

enough with this pg-13 ****, where that X-rated GAME ish at?
Old 19th June 2009
  #10
80425
Guest
I think I puked a bit. Anyway **** censorship.
Old 19th June 2009
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYAMS View Post
enough with this pg-13 ****, where that X-rated GAME ish at?
Haha you want to hear the song with The Game? You'll have to wait until I get everything cleared, papers and all that crap. I think It'll take at least 2 weeks to get it done.
Old 19th June 2009
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_headphones View Post
I think I puked a bit. Anyway **** censorship.
Dude you must be sick
Old 19th June 2009
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post
Alright I'll do a censored version with tape stop vst then. The thing is, the ass part is in the hook though.
I see, but try the tape stop. You're not literally cutting it like that. Make it like the slow down effect, where they know the word even tho its not there. Send me a snippet when you do it. Maybe you have a different idea of what I'm talking about. JikkySTS at gmail dot com.
Old 19th June 2009
  #14
Lives for gear
 
voicegenius's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYAMS View Post
enough with this pg-13 ****, where that X-rated GAME ish at?
heh
Old 19th June 2009
  #15
Lives for gear
 
voicegenius's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post
Alright I'll do a censored version with tape stop vst then. The thing is, the ass part is in the hook though.
Ass? Seriously? Dood, submit the song as is...

I think those drums can hit harder, but overall, good job on the song... thumbsup
Old 19th June 2009
  #16
Gear Addict
 

Haven't had a chance to listen to this track, but I listened to some of your other stuff and I'm diggin' it for sure! Anyway, about the censorship thing, I think it really depends on the radio station. Stations here in Chicago vary quite a bit with that. The two major stations are 103.5 Kiss FM and 107.5 WGCI (Hip Hop, RnB) and 103.5 really doesn't censor much, but the hip hop station censors like CRAZY. If you have a contact at the station you might just want to give them a call and ask.
Old 20th June 2009
  #17
Gear Head
 

soft things.............dont need to censor.....
Old 20th June 2009
  #18
Gear Addict
 
ether88's Avatar
 

a simple call to the radio station would make this thread void


Quote:
Stack Dough came over with his U87ai but his voice sounded much better on my mic, so we used mine instead.


everyone knows that a chris lago microphone is better then a "stack dough" microphone

alot of self advertising in the hip hop forum this week
Old 20th June 2009
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikky View Post
I see, but try the tape stop. You're not literally cutting it like that. Make it like the slow down effect, where they know the word even tho its not there. Send me a snippet when you do it. Maybe you have a different idea of what I'm talking about. JikkySTS at gmail dot com.
Hey, I've tried to find it but nowhere to be found, would you be able to send me the dll file in my email? [email protected] . I'll try it out, send you a snippet, see how you feel about it.
Old 20th June 2009
  #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ether88 View Post
a simple call to the radio station would make this thread void






everyone knows that a chris lago microphone is better then a "stack dough" microphone

alot of self advertising in the hip hop forum this week
Haha sorry, I think I've been posting too much this week... What can I say, I am just so excited about it.

I'd rather have the station figure it out on their own instead of me mentioning it and then they say, yeah man, censor that word .

And as far as the MXL v69me is concerned, it was a nightmare to get it to sit nicely in the mic on my voice, so no, I wouldn't recommend it... But hey, I'm getting a K2 next week, woopdy doo.
Old 20th June 2009
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicegenius View Post
Ass? Seriously? Dood, submit the song as is...

I think those drums can hit harder, but overall, good job on the song... thumbsup
Yeah I agree, but hey, it's ok, I'm learning as I'm doing it, so I'll make the next song better heh

Enough about RNB/Hip-Hop, I'm actually working on a Rock project next week!
Old 20th June 2009
  #22
a k
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post
Hey, I've tried to find it but nowhere to be found, would you be able to send me the dll file in my email? [email protected] . I'll try it out, send you a snippet, see how you feel about it.
KVR: TbT Tapestop - Virtual Effect

www.tinbrooketales.com
Old 20th June 2009
  #23
when I click on download, it brings me to a weird page.
Old 20th June 2009
  #24
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post
when I click on download, it brings me to a weird page.
On top of this admittedly weird looking page ;-) it says "If you are searching for VST Plugins then take a look in The Archive"

Here is the direct download link:
http://hem.bredband.net/tbtaudio/arc...pestop_1-7.zip
Old 21st June 2009
  #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by korbes View Post
On top of this admittedly weird looking page ;-) it says "If you are searching for VST Plugins then take a look in The Archive"

Here is the direct download link:
http://hem.bredband.net/tbtaudio/arc...pestop_1-7.zip
Sweet thanks for the help, somebody actually sent me the zip file.

UPDATE:

Here's a demo of the song I've been talking about with The gGame. Nothing is mixed, I have to redo my part properly, I'm getting everything tonight (single tracks in the instrumental, The Game's verse), along with the paperwork. I'll be mixing/mastering the track, Woohoo!
Old 21st June 2009
  #26
Lives for gear
 
MYAMS's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post
Sweet thanks for the help, somebody actually sent me the zip file.

UPDATE:

Here's a demo of the song I've been talking about with The gGame. Nothing is mixed, I have to redo my part properly, I'm getting everything tonight (single tracks in the instrumental, The Game's verse), along with the paperwork. I'll be mixing/mastering the track, Woohoo!
Yo good stuff. I just wouldn't say "game" like that it sounds a lil homo imo. Either look through his takes if he ever says his name or try recording it different and pitching it down so it sounds legit. Otherwise congrats.
Old 21st June 2009
  #27
Lives for gear
 
voicegenius's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post
Sweet thanks for the help, somebody actually sent me the zip file.

UPDATE:

Here's a demo of the song I've been talking about with The gGame. Nothing is mixed, I have to redo my part properly, I'm getting everything tonight (single tracks in the instrumental, The Game's verse), along with the paperwork. I'll be mixing/mastering the track, Woohoo!
Congrats dood! Get that paper! thumbsupthumbsup
Old 21st June 2009
  #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYAMS View Post
Yo good stuff. I just wouldn't say "game" like that it sounds a lil homo imo. Either look through his takes if he ever says his name or try recording it different and pitching it down so it sounds legit. Otherwise congrats.
Hey, thanks for the advice, I did it a little quick, but the final version will sound a lot better. I'll try a bunch of takes and I'll probably post all the variations so you guys can pick the best.
Old 21st June 2009
  #29
Lives for gear
 
MYAMS's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post
Hey, thanks for the advice, I did it a little quick, but the final version will sound a lot better. I'll try a bunch of takes and I'll probably post all the variations so you guys can pick the best.
good call
Old 21st June 2009
  #30
Gear Head
 
Freddy P's Avatar
 

I think the song is missing a few "Ehhh Ehh Ehh's" to truly captivate that AKON sound

I really think the song is cool, the kick is a little weak & i'd prolly swap it with another sample. I agree though its better to be safe and try that tape stop. You would hate to loose an oppurtunity of someone playing the track because they dont have a clean version.

Good Luck w/ this Chris !
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump