The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How you became who you are?
Old 20th June 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say View Post
And I mean that in a professional point of view; as an artist, producer or whatever you are. How you got to the point you are in right now?

And... what you think it was the event that might have changed you/your career? Like your A moment, you feel me?

Drop some knowledge!!

By Believing
Working hard
Making good decisions
Staying Focused
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say View Post
Nice **** my man, congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post
Glad everything is working out for you man, keep it up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Amokk View Post
It's just a matter of time, hu? Allow me to get back at you, once I had a break Good video, good advice, good studio. Respect.
thanks guys and yes it's a matter of time, business/people skills, talent and perseverance !
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear
Nice Mdjice-

For me I kinda lost interest in football in high school, if I was gonna play they were going to make me play center, and wanted me to get up to 250+ so I was like naw. Needed something new to do so I started playing keys and within a month I knew that music was what I wanted to do with my life. Got a CZ 1000 and opcode vision and started making beats. Also started taking lessons and practicing 4-5 hrs a day. I knew I had a late start and it was gonna be hard so I had to hustle.

By the time I was 18 I was playing real-book jazz gigs 7 nights a week, and that gave me enough $ to go to school for music and engineering. Did that for quite a while and realized that a degree didn't mean anything and if I wanted to make some moves in this biz I needed $$$. So I dropped out and started a wedding band; horrible work, but you can make 60k working like 20hrs a week. Did that for a while, and was able to stack up some more serious gear and get a space for the studio and start getting more clients.

The wedding band fell apart right about the time that I was able to go full time with the studio. And then God blessed me with an awesome part time job as a music director at a gospel church. So now I'm still hustlin, it's been 10 years since I sold my first beat, and some of my first clients are now on the covers of local music scene mags and playing tracks I produced on the radio.

I'm not famous or platinum selling, but I've been full time in music for 12 years. The economy is crap and I'm going to the bank every month with stacks of cash. Still got a long way to go, and probably a lot more dues to pay. But for me, I refuse to rely on luck.
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

Wait for the book.
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

I wouldn't be who I am today if it wasn't for all the mistakes I've made along the way, and learning from those mistakes. Also, learning how to make it through all the rough times... that definitely hardened me as a person.

Everyone I meet always comments about me having a certain "Air" about me. Whatever that really is and whatever it means is something I definitely earned and fought for. I feel that mentioning stuff like this is more important than mentioning all the good ol' times and accomplishments I have achieved so far, because those things really only boost confidence if anything... pain, hardship, learning from failures... to me that's what builds character and makes you stronger for the fight. I plan to continue fighting my way to the top.
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Nice video man. I'm a Coffee Crisp man myself... it's all about chocolate.
Old 21st June 2009
It's so funny that he mentions he produces til 4 am in the morning, because I do the same thing as well, it's such a bad habit.
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's so funny that he mentions he produces til 4 am in the morning, because I do the same thing as well, it's such a bad habit.
Not if you consider the studio world to be different than everything else outside of it. Most sessions I do don't start any earlier than 7 or 8 PM. If the session is not on the clock then you know the first hour or 2 are gonna mostly be used to just get settled and set the vibe. A lot of times when I'm working downtown, sessions start around after 12 or 1 AM, and guys are coming straight from the club scene all buzzed but totally ready to make heat. After all the years of pulling off late night sessions, my head is programed not to get tired until around 5-6 AM, or sometimes not at all if I got other things to do that morning. I don't consider that a bad habit, I consider that a strong work ethic.

Taking breaks during a session that are much too long because you are playing xbox would be considered more of a bad habit IMO.
Old 21st June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Not if you consider the studio world to be different than everything else outside of it. Most sessions I do don't start any earlier than 7 or 8 PM. If the session is not on the clock then you know the first hour or 2 are gonna mostly be used to just get settled and set the vibe. A lot of times when I'm working downtown, sessions start around after 12 or 1 AM, and guys are coming straight from the club scene all buzzed but totally ready to make heat. After all the years of pulling off late night sessions, my head is programed not to get tired until around 5-6 AM, or sometimes not at all if I got other things to do that morning. I don't consider that a bad habit, I consider that a strong work ethic.

Taking breaks during a session that are much too long because you are playing xbox would be considered more of a bad habit IMO.
And when I thought I was so weird, you guys make it seem normal to stay late at night and make beats... Somehow I am better at producing during the night, then I mix during the day, really weird. I usually work with pop princesses so my sessions start at 2pm til 8pm and then I'm done. Where is your studio by the way? I should come by sometime.
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
And when I thought I was so weird, you guys make it seem normal to stay late at night and make beats... Somehow I am better at producing during the night, then I mix during the day, really weird. I usually work with pop princesses so my sessions start at 2pm til 8pm and then I'm done. Where is your studio by the way? I should come by sometime.
For the moment, I'm about 20 mins from downtown, not too far from where all the action is at. I'm always up for networking with other productive people, so we should definitely see what's up sometime and maybe even see if there is something we can collaborate on.
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Started out as a Dj left the dominican republic at seventeen. Went to a breakdance event in mexico did some *hongos* in tulum, end up in chiapas half naked playing some drums with two women: jeti alina fashu and paulina fox, the later she seemed very rich and out of her mind. Jeti was cool she was 24yrs old died on the battle she was a nurse in guadalupe tepeyac close to the guatemala border, a granade blew her face off . I dun know for how long i stayed in the Jungle but i felt empty, i've told Jeti before she died that I felt lost, she told me to fallow the drum ...... i did ....... WOW thats a BIG lie ... or is it?
Old 21st June 2009
Here for the gear

In the 80s as a kid I seen a video for The Doors song "Wild Child" it was mostly footage of them in the studio and stock native american footage edited together.

But just seeing musicians behind the scenes putting in work always clicked with me.

Also a scene where they showed an oscilloscope running during a guitar part was awe-inspiring.

My inner gear slut was awakened.
Old 22nd June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
For the moment, I'm about 20 mins from downtown, not too far from where all the action is at. I'm always up for networking with other productive people, so we should definitely see what's up sometime and maybe even see if there is something we can collaborate on.
I'd really Like to attend a session, and definitely collab. Do you have msn? Send me a message with your email.
Old 23rd June 2009
Here for the gear

starting late
never going to music college
seeking out collaborators
not spending much on equipment
not having my own space to record in
Old 25th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Nice **** yall...

Well, what about me?
MC, producer and I play the keys. I wouldn't call me a mix engineer, but I mix stuff

I was born in Argentina, I'm 24 years old and I started rapping at a really young age. At 15 or something I started making beats, just playing around.
Time went by. I got the chance to build my own little studio and PHHAT, my production company (I'd say a "label" because we released albums, but it's a big word). We released 6 albums already and the 7th is comming by the end of the year; Grammy winner Frost from el Sindicato Argentino del Hip Hop, produced by me, and we worked with people such as Cypress Hill's Eric Bobo, Bizzy Bone's 7th Sign Regime, etc.

Right now I'm in Spain since late '07 and I'm finishing my ticket to the moon, my new album. With big collabos, some musicians dropping their talent and blablabla... ****ty moment in music history, but we'll see what happens.
Old 25th June 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

1979. started playing drums, my dad has been a guitar player for life so I was around music my whole life, he played with Larry Mccray..

1984. started to learn in my dad's studio and started playing piano and guitar, was tired of sampled music so I started to learn every intrument I could get my hands on

89-90's. I recorded Mc breeds "Ain't no future in your front in" and the school girls "ring my bell"

1994. Played in a bar band (classic rock) for many years.

now I record a few people hear and there but I mainly work on my songwriting and music. I do a lot of Jingle work also for production companies. I'm just waiting on that HIT to come, send it to taxi and sit back and collect the royalties Wouldn'T that be great!!

I spend most of my time these day's trying to keep my children busy!!
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear

Man, I went off to summer camp one year, around age 10-11, came back and my voice sounded like Barry White on steroids. Weirdest thing ever.

Was in school maybe 5th-6th grade by day, and on nights and weekends singing bass for my Grandaddy's gospel quartet..strange a 11 year old singing with all the old men..bass no less.

from there I met my best friend in the world at basketball camp...he was an amazing, Wanye style voice, so he and I formed a doo-wop group, and also sang in a really popular (at least in our area) gospel quartet(think fairfield 4, old mighty clouds of joy, etc)..

did that, got a vocal performance cert..got heavy into classical and musical theatre..ive done JC Superstar probably 100 times(Caiphas)...varying Opera/Oratorio Singing Roles.

went to the army as an infantryman..did the whole iraq/afghan, every other theatre of conflict for several years before , in a fluke, seeing an ad on AFN Television looking for a Bass Vocalist for the US-Army Europe Band...so I got that gig..

got out, and got hired straight on as the Bass for The Stamps (Elvis Presley's backup group from the mid 60s until his death), did that until I coulldnt take the drive any more(9 hours every 4 days up to Brentwood, Tennessee from NC)

..so I am a product of this weird blend of the music I grew up with(Bluegrass, Outlaw Country), to this R+B/Doo Wop thing that my buddy turned me on to, to this whole other alternative thing..

I am a mixed hat, musically. I enjoy singing gospel , bluegrass, doo-wop, (anything with an amazing bass vocal line) but listen to TOTALLY different things..
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

Holler if you ever need a bass singer.
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killah_Trakz View Post
Had sex with some Jewish chick who's father was close friends to the beastie boys manager, then did some **** with wu's affialite and the rest is history....... but the sex was most def different. Pickles anyoneheh
Killah u son of b...h that Jewish girl is my daughter u pickled, I have been looking for u ever since. PS. she had twins!!
Old 26th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
Holler if you ever need a bass singer.
Sweet Do you have msn at all?

Nevermind, I sent you an email
Old 27th June 2009
cpu
Gear Addict

You know, I actually had an amazing afternoon with Norwood Fisher of Fishbone back in 1996 that pretty much totally reinforced my love of music. I was at a point of not being sure what I was going to do, if I was going to keep playing or try something else. I was an 18 year old kid, and Norwood was super cool to me, showed me some licks, and really got me back into practicing. I never stopped, and only continued broadening my musical horizons into recording, djing, and producing.
That's why I also try to be super cool to any kids that ask me stuff about music...I'd love to inspire someone like that and change some kid's life for the positive.
Old 27th June 2009
Watched a Local Show called Home Turf, then hosted by Dominic Deprima who is now co-host of the Steve Harvey Radio Show.

Heard a Too Short Album.
Started writing.

My uncle heard me and thought I could develop so he took me to his homies house. They had an actual 808 and a Korg keyboard of some type. That was the biggest most professional keyboard I'd ever seen and I was mesmerized by all the sounds.

Uncle bought me a TR-707 and I began to record with that and a casio onto a 4 tack tape. Then my pops got me a yamaha sound module and the first version of Cubase.
It was all midi back then and I learned how to get down. This was before the common use of computers, everyone was still using MPC and a Trinity or M1 with a mackie VLZ.

I thought cubase was wack so I began buying a few pieces of hardware. Started with a Yamaha MD-8 and grew from there.

Present Day: Had to get into pro-tools because my "mentor" was using it and I moved away so it was the easiest way for me to be compatible with him. I went to school and took a class on Pro-Tools and got the basics. Began buying more gear, pre's and ect....

Hooked up with a guy from the protools class who now runs Media Local studios out of "THE ANNEX" studios in the Bay Area and have been getting schooled by him since then.

My small operation I80 MEDIA STUDIOS now consists of 4 people working from a home studio with day jobs but money is being made, at least enough to ease up the weight of paying rent.

Still learning and just hope to be great one day.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

WAY

Since a young boy I was interested in Music.

My first wow's was Antrax () and Public Enemy,
Then I thought that a DJ=Producer, beatmaker,engineer, everything.
Terminator X was my idol then, becaouse I thought he was doing all that for PE. Then I decided to become a DJ (at age of 13). Time past by, from DJ, went to recording Freestyles, my first Rap Crew.
Then first WU TANG, came out and First SNOOP, that changed my life!
I was making beats in no time on a casio, lousy turntable and 2 casseterecorders, recording from 1 cassete to another i was adding tracks live
Again, Time went by, I was rapping,DJing, roducing, gathering gear, reading a lot about engineering, managing concerts and events, collecting LPs. And its sooo fukin hard when you live in far,far away place like me.

I started networking and recording with people from all around the world, US, England, Angola, Maroko, Germany.....

Then I decided to go pro. I went on a univercity, made a sound engineery diploma and master of acoustics (that I never defended- no time). I designed my own studio (Fort11) and now I live mostly from Mixing, 25% of my income is recording and I think less then 10% is from beats. Sure I'd love to earn more from producing but I don't have time to shop around, and since some time I don't have time to produce even. Now I'm thinking or rising my mixing rate, chop off the bottom feeders and spending that time on managing myself as a producer.

Well, I think thats mostly it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search