The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Roland Mv-8000 Switch to Akai MPC
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Maddox View Post
It's cool.

My only point is that what you did as far the previous post has less to do with the MV as does the user purposely inducing clipping. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Why would you normalize then add emphasis to a sample bordering on clipping. Just not smart practice regardless of what machine is in question IMO.

As far as the MV workflow it's pretty simple and straightforward providing you don't try to make it an MPC.
well the amount you need to be below digital peak is in proportion to the amount of white noise / high frequencies you have in the sample.

IF you are going to pre-emphasize. which is what you're supposed to do to keep the full fidelity of the original sample on playback.
actually, with pre-emphasis you get even better fidelity. especially on the Transients.

if it's an 808 open hh or crash say, then you have better be around -13db.

a lot of people do normalize. it's not so much normalizing that's the problem in the MV, it's not being able to drop a sample by re-gain changing it.

so if you had a white noise sample and it was anything above -13db or -12db peak, you're going to ruin the sample.

if the sample came from a Z8 for example, then it's best that the Z8 samples are no less than -4db because of how the filters respond to.

if you put that in an MV and it's got a lot of white noise in it or in a fast transient, you have no way of dropping it in the MV's own architecture.

also, the only way to get multiple velocity samples which are destined for a group in which your going to use velocity switching is to have them at the same peak level and then use the velocity responce in the system to translate the different dbs.

because there's no way to normalize to a specific % or gain change in the MV, you'd have to do it in something else. once you've save a project as a .MV0 you couldn't get to the samples, other than saving them out as a WAV, transferring them gain balancing them and sending them back and then reloading them into the instrument.

if you had a large scale Kit with some samples having this high frequency content and you wanted to pre-emphasize the whole Kit, you'd have to drop the gain of certain samples so the process didn't mess up those samples.
no way to do that in the MV easily.. PLUS it will change the perception of the levels of THOSE samples.. so your well tuned Kit will go west.

I tried a pre-emphasis routine on My library of 15 Drum Kits. it was about 300Meg and took 7 hours.. It was ruined. the only way to know it won't be and the Kit retain all the correct db balances, is to drop every sample (equally) so the loudest sample peaking at -13db.

MVKC didn't use to be able to alter the gains either, because it couldn't use a 3rd party editor to access the sounds.. now it looks like it can so it's really the only rational solution as far as I can see now.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

I think you've needlessly complicated the art of boiling water.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Maddox View Post
I think you've needlessly complicated the art of boiling water.
so if I want to alter the gain of 130 samples in my MV0 file without messing up 15 precisely setup drum kits when I pre-emphasize all the samples, how do you suggest I go about that ?

given there are many hundreds of individual samples.
that all the samples are 1db below normal, and baring in mind I have to work out which samples are going to be ruined.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger
I'm looking to switch from my fully loaded MV-8000 to an MPC. My question is for anyone who has made the switch or has any knowledge in this area, which version (MPC) did you go with and how hard was the learning curve?

I've used an mpc1000 for years to sequence all of my synths. I just picked up an mv8000 in a trade and find it to be much more powerful for my type of music. I do stuff live and the MV is able to do a bunch of things my 1000 can't do.

You say your MV is fully loaded? Does it have the outputs too? I'll send you my mpc and a nice synth and trade ya. Sound good? Lol
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

To the OP.

The transition will be pretty smooth compared to going the opposite direction. The MPC workflow is much easier to follow. Some things that take multiple steps inthe MV take pretty much one, in the MPC. If the load time bothers you as much as it does most who have made th switch, it will be worth it for that alone.

I really really really wish the MV had lived up to my expectations. I REALLY wanted to have it as the centerpiece of my setup. I think the ultimate deal breakers for me was 16 levels, and load time. The MV just did not compare favorably at the time. Those items were very important to me.

If you really like the MV workflow though, you may wanna try Maschine.
Old 11th May 2011
Here for the gear

save yourself about 600$ and buy the MV .. I have used the MPC 4000 for 4 years and MPC 1000 for 1 year.. ..I bought the MV for 400$ and I have only had it for 4months and my beats are the beast ever ..don't believe me... listen for yourself..Onlywaybeats.com Buy beats Online - it wasn't hard to learn either..
Old 12th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser
You don't have a gain command in the MV.. it's the MV's only real problem imo. everything else is brilliant.

Being at zero is a bad bad bad idea. in fact, I want everything at -12db at least. if you pre-emphasize a cymbal and the cymbal is at zero you have just ruined the cymbal. If the cymbal was at -12db the white noise in the cymbal signal is then going to be peaking at close to zero.

to get the Transients in Drums ticking in the MV you need to pre-emphasize the sample. pre-emph adds a +12 shelving filter rising from around 5Khz.

once you sounds are saved in an MV library or song .MVO etc. there is no current way to get at those samples to batch process them to reduce their gain to -12db. even MV Kit Creator doesn't allow processing the samples.. so nothing does that.

It's the only problem with the MV. from now on, any sample I prepare for the MV will be peaking at -12db minimum.

everything else in the machine is Tops.

So in essence what your saying is to keep the transient tones intact, with out clipping or distorting you should really turn the samples down 12db especially with hats?

As for the OP, I would stick with the MV if you MUST have a hardware sampler. I understand the frustration with the load times
though. And unfortunately there's nothing that can be done about that because of the size of the bus.
The unfortunate thing is that, as software becomes more and more popular,( and yeah I'm being a hypocrite because I use mainly software) the likely hood of getting a good fast hardware sampling machine decreases drastically.
But I still love playing my MV!
Old 12th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides

I think the ultimate deal breakers for me was 16 levels, and load time. The MV just did not compare favorably at the time. Those items were very important to me.

If you really like the MV workflow though, you may wanna try Maschine.

Guess what that button that says multilevel does!

Load time is a given, but the MV is pretty powerful outside of it's tiny bus and CPU. So, it's to be expected that it takes a while to load all of the awesome tools it has to offer.
Attached Thumbnails
Roland Mv-8000 Switch to Akai MPC-imageuploadedbygearslutz.jpg  
Old 12th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azriel_7

Well as everyone knows it doesn't do 16 levels of pitch.

I guess the people at Roland were just like you, they didn't understand people typically are looking for 16 LEVELS OF PITCH, when they refer to 16 levels.

Use the clip board button it takes like 30 seconds and or use the keyboard feature. As anybody that owns, has learned about and has really used an MV will tell you.
Old 16th August 2015
Here for the gear

So here's a question for you Muser? If the MV de-emphasizes on the digital out, say you run a optical cable out of the MV then back into the digital in, provided you have the MV8-op1 card, would you need to use the pre-emphasis when sampling? Notice I said sample and not resample. But in actuality I am re-sampling the digital out back into the digital in. This is the method I use, and honestly I can not hear a difference in audio like you can when re-sampling the the analog outs without using pre-emphasis. I will have to test this out again.
Old 17th August 2015
Lives for gear

What's up wax
Old 17th August 2015
Here for the gear

Hey Tommy Cash! I'm just lurking and continuing to do research as always.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search