The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Aussie Rap sample
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

Aussie Rap sample

Hi everyone,just wondering if anyone cares to have a listen to a rapper I've produced records for,a young Aussie guy who goes by the name Poet Laureate (PL) ,album should be out in 6-8 weeks,I'm not trying to flog records I'm just offering a sample of some Aussie music,this song is not finished but is'nt far off.I used a Tla ivory comp on the guitars and Al smart with crush on the synth/organ,then mixdown through Al Smart into apogee psx100se converters.Then a bit of eq with sonalksis plugs and a bit of other stuff and L2.Any comments welcome please.
Attached Files

PL.mp3 (6.28 MB, 549 views)

Old 15th August 2005
Gear Maniac

It's good, I was expecting an Australian accent there though the most immediate comparison with the mc is probably to Ken Dawg of the Mo' Thugs. They both have that relaxed, lazy kind of delivery, which is just an observation not a criticism. The beat compliments the delivery seeing that it's smooth and relaxed too. It you're open to some constructive criticism though I'd say that the drums could stand to be fattened up a little. The snare especially could cut through a little better which could easily be addressed by lining up the current snare with an extra layer possibly pitched down a couple of semi-tones, a woodblock type snare would keep things in line with the current sound.
Also, who will you be releasing with just out of curiosity?
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Hey there cheers,yeah the drums need some work,I had only had the song for 2 days before posting,I had to listen on a few different systems to get a good perspective for the final mix,the drums should put a smile on the dial when finished .I just thought it was good stuff to share as its a bit different. I'll post the release notes soon when things are finalised.Throughout the whole album every song is different.!8-20 in all.
Old 17th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Yea, cool, pust the final edit up when you get it done. A good reference CD, if you use that kind of thing for mixing, for the kind of stuff that you're doing with a lot of live instruments and all would be anything by 'The Roots'. 'Illadelph Halflife' gets a lot of use in my studio...
Old 10th March 2007
Here for the gear

how come australian artists make the worst beats ever?! even in the huge studio's! i make better songs in my room than you peeps. The only thing i can comment on for australian rappers are their choice of words. cuz there is no flow and beats suck
Old 10th March 2007
Lives for gear

dfegad
Old 10th March 2007
Lives for gear

dfegad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way, but that is about the worst rapping I've ever heard in my life. I've heard Asian computer nerds that can rap better than that (even the "Got Rice?" song). UNLISTENABLE. Just my opinion. My god that's horrible. And it's not the region. Here's some quality New Zealand ****, just to prove people from that area can rap and make beats on a pro level. (The song is partial because I don't have direct permission to post it. Don't trust the time signatures.)
dfegad fuuck
Old 10th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch man View Post
i make better songs in my room than you peeps.

Thats what every kid says.
Old 10th March 2007
Here for the gear

Beat quality is clean, the instrumental flows well and sounds smooth both production wise and instrumentally. Drums could stand out a little more especially the snare/rimshot feel and abit of air on the HH. The vocals are mellow, not diggin the rhyming scheme or flow though, i got nothing but love for OzHipHop btw.. Sounds at times the artists is almost struggling to keep on beat, could be a result of snipping the takes in post prod. though, would be nice to have a more destinct adlibs/doubling. cant wait to hear the final product!
Old 10th March 2007
Lives for gear

Album went out mid last year, after extensive re-mixing, pulled a 3 star review in "The Sydney Morning Herald", anyway it did'nt really take off. "JJJ" gave us the cold shoulder and refused to play anything off the record. We were just testing the waters with the first record. "PL's" new record is killer, called "Northern Lights Crew", just for info purposes. Already started a 3rd record too for em.

I thought this thread was dead 2 years back.

Amazing how the past can keep biting your arse, heh. Pretty rotten mix I posted too looking back heh. Anyone who liked the track thanks, anyone who hated it , thanks too for listening also.

Check the myspace links below if ya want to hear stuff from the new record, out of interest. They are'nt the final masters but still you can see where the new stuff is at.

Cheers
Old 10th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry you don't like the feedback. At least it's honest. Sorry son - It's whack.

Quote:
Sorry you don't like the feedback. At least it's honest. Sorry son - It's whack.
You dont have to tell me it's a wak mix from 2 years back, I'll admit now just to make you feel better. Also yours is'nt gonna put Hip Hop from the Southern hemisphere on a global footing, man get some better weed and a happy meal.

Also go start your own thread and stop hijacking others. Another thing, maybe you should gain permission before posting others music on the internet, now that is wak!

I can take criticism, actually thrive on it. Hope you can too.
Old 10th March 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Oscar, man lets shake n make up eh! Send me a link to your myspace, would be cool to check your stuff n see what you fellas are up to in NZ, there is some great hiphop coming from there. Im first to admit that too.
Old 10th March 2007
Lives for gear

There is some good **** happening in Aus but NZ seems to be leading the way at the moment. The best stuff in Aus never gets airplay, its like a self defeating merrygoround, they seem to play the stuff which makes us sound stupid for some reason, it ****s every artist in Aus, they never get a chance unless they are in the clique, mostly. It's like they are trying to make hiphop in aus self combust and eat itself up or something sinister, heh.

We'll just keep makin records till we get there.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search