The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Neptunes Drum Timing
Old 15th October 2007
Gear Head

Why does anyone care how the Neptunes get their drumfeel???????

Go make your own beat. Don't copy. Be a musician. Do your own ****.

When you've done that enough times, you don't need to ask
Old 17th October 2007
Gear Head

I can assure you that they Do Not quantize... I've been the Neptunes engineer for the past 12+ years and they pride themselves on Not quantizing... It's all about the feel and they don't care about the indescrepancies people have about their "timing".... These discussions always crack me up because it just doesn't matter.. (albeit to the people hating on the Neptunes..) Yeah, Chad has said that he'll quantize the kick and snare but the truth is that it always goes back to the un-quantized version.... It feels better...They both have impeccable timing and there's really no need for quantization with them.. If something is really off, we'll just move it in Pro Tools.. No big deal.. I know, a lot of you are gonna give me **** for saying this, but its true (very real and very true!!) .... If they want their stuff to sound off-time, or noisy, or whatever, It's my job (as the engineer) to make it sound that way..... That's what a lot of you don't seem to understand... If a producer (any producer) wants it to sound THAT way, THAT'S what you do.. You may disagree, but that's what you do.... It's Your job.. Like it or not.. Trust me, I've had Many disagreements with Pharrell over the years about things not sounding right... Be it an airplane flying over the studio while recording vocals, or, a door opening during a drum take or the way the kick and snare sounds... "It adds character" is what he says and he's right... I love the fact that our stuff has some flaws in it.. Moments captured in time.. I'll listen back to those tracks in 20 years and laugh.. Even though I hear a noise in the background or something we've had a disagreement about, it's still a moment I'll NEVER forget.. Good or bad.. After all, he's the PRODUCER!!!!
Old 17th October 2007
Gear Maniac

I was tired of all the quantization I was doing on a lot of tracks so the other day I wrote a beat with some drum breaks in free time and I must say its pretty liberating. I like little hiccups and imperfections. The computer makes it so easy to perfect things that we forget about the human quality in imperfections...
Old 17th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalflow View Post
I can assure you that they Do Not quantize... I've been the Neptunes engineer for the past 12+ years and they pride themselves on Not quantizing... It's all about the feel and they don't care about the indescrepancies people have about their "timing".... These discussions always crack me up because it just doesn't matter.. (albeit to the people hating on the Neptunes..) Yeah, Chad has said that he'll quantize the kick and snare but the truth is that it always goes back to the un-quantized version.... It feels better...They both have impeccable timing and there's really no need for quantization with them.. If something is really off, we'll just move it in Pro Tools.. No big deal.. I know, a lot of you are gonna give me **** for saying this, but its true (very real and very true!!) .... If they want their stuff to sound off-time, or noisy, or whatever, It's my job (as the engineer) to make it sound that way..... That's what a lot of you don't seem to understand... If a producer (any producer) wants it to sound THAT way, THAT'S what you do.. You may disagree, but that's what you do.... It's Your job.. Like it or not.. Trust me, I've had Many disagreements with Pharrell over the years about things not sounding right... Be it an airplane flying over the studio while recording vocals, or, a door opening during a drum take or the way the kick and snare sounds... "It adds character" is what he says and he's right... I love the fact that our stuff has some flaws in it.. Moments captured in time.. I'll listen back to those tracks in 20 years and laugh.. Even though I hear a noise in the background or something we've had a disagreement about, it's still a moment I'll NEVER forget.. Good or bad.. After all, he's the PRODUCER!!!!

lol... cant believe this thread is back..

So whats Chad doing nowadays? Seems Pharell is going solo on all the projects.

I think the one thing that P has thats constant is space. Either inherently or not, he understands that things need to have their own space in order for **** to breathe.. But all the greats knew this. Thats why his **** (still) bangs so hard.. esp in clubs. Have y'all heard "blue magic" in a club?
on BET, its ok.. on the radio, its ok, but thru a club system....
Old 17th October 2007
Lives for gear

something Ive been doing..

this is for Logic heads.

Take a 2 or 4 bar drum loop, make a template out of it by using audio to midi groove template and use the midi data to program drums..

You can get endless different feels directly from the 'masters'.

Or use this just for hats and quantize kick and snare, or use it for kick and snare and quantize hats.
Old 17th October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umlaaat View Post
lol... cant believe this thread is back..

So whats Chad doing nowadays? Seems Pharell is going solo on all the projects.

I think the one thing that P has thats constant is space. Either inherently or not, he understands that things need to have their own space in order for **** to breathe.. But all the greats knew this. Thats why his **** (still) bangs so hard.. esp in clubs. Have y'all heard "blue magic" in a club?
on BET, its ok.. on the radio, its ok, but thru a club system....

Old 17th October 2007
Gear Maniac

nop

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineEars View Post
Pharrell plays drums about as well as he sings, but it really does work for their style. It's the first time I've heard sloppy grooves and liked it. "Like I Love You" by Justin Timberlake is the main song that comes to mind.
Sorry but got to desagree. I saw a video of him playing and he does not ! He know basic grooves. Of course He could be a great drummer if he practiced it. But he is definatly in that "kind of play" drums category.
Old 17th October 2007
AON
Gear Addict

"D.O.I. - Do you use quantize when sequencing the drums?
Chad - It depends. Usually we quantize the kicks and snares, but not the hi hats. We like the live feel that makes you think someone is actually playing the drums"

http://www.hiphopgame.com/index2.php3?page=neptunes
Old 17th October 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AON View Post
Chad - It depends. Usually we quantize the kicks and snares, but not the hi hats. We like the live feel that makes you think someone is actually playing the drums"

jesus man, are you a ******? look a few posts up, their engineer told you what the deal was.
Old 17th October 2007
AON
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
jesus man, are you a ******? look a few posts up, their engineer told you what the deal was.
I didn´t read that post. Why so upset? Was just trying to help.
Old 17th October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultools View Post
Ahhhhh they do that ON PURPOSE so it does not sound ROBOTIC.
They know how to quantize to the grid if they want to. Somebody out there likes it exactly how they do it.
How many producers have those same stock sounds, and the same amount of plaques? Zero.

It sounds to me like a half-assed version of what Questlove of the roots is doing. Check out Voodoo by D'Angelo those type of rythms (exaggerated swings) are all over it, but done with a bit more taste by a real drummer.
Old 17th October 2007
Lives for gear

Its all about space.. On a typical Neptunes track, theres enough space for you to feel it more than in a live situation, where theres less space.

Imagine a plain white background.. Whatevers on the forefront is gonna stand out more than if it were in front of a tapestry (a la Kanye)
Old 17th October 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
I didn´t read that post. Why so upset? Was just trying to help.

you act like you were the first person to post this in this thread
Old 17th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Search of View Post

so apparently from the pictures, Chad is getting his hair cut and setting presets on the Triton...

hmm... interesting
Old 18th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontenele View Post
Sorry but got to desagree. I saw a video of him playing and he does not ! He know basic grooves. Of course He could be a great drummer if he practiced it. But he is definatly in that "kind of play" drums category.
I think he was implying that Pharrell isn't a great singer or drummer.

My favorite aspect of Neptunes productions is the timing/feel. Without that, I don't think I would dig half as much of their stuff. I'm still liking Pharrell's solo productions too, by the way.
Old 22nd March 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:

+1 Red exactly the same and was about to write it too but signalflow got it first-hand. Nice to know.
Thanks for that, although I think everyone should try to get his own way to his groove.
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Jonny,

No disrespect, but in my opinion, you could not be any more wrong.
Have you listened to a lot of Neptunes?
Could you please cite a few examples of this stiff feel you're talking about?
I promise, for every one you list, I can give you 10 that are contrary.
Listen to the beat from "Grindin". WAYYYYYYYYY outside the grid!
Listen to Justin's album... mostly live drums (looped).
Listen to the track from NORE "Nuthin"
"When the Last Time" Clipse, "Pass the Courvoisier",
man, that $hit is SWINGIN!!!!! Breakin my neck just thinking about those tracks!
You can even take it back to the beginning... "Rump Shaker" and the SWV "Human Nature" remix
I guess we all hear things differently!
grindin way off the grid? in what way? the kick and clap sound on stright grid positions to me......but i havnt analysed it to a great extent.
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Listen to the break from the James Brown song "Funky Drummer".
same drum beat as like i luv you drumming?
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

neptunes always had some of the most precise drum timing, bordering on the opposite of arrhythmical, almost too precise the rhythm can become transparent. this is in regards to their more straight ahead hip-hop style not their stylized clap/snare/effects/digi signature style.

i'm talking about 'love you better' and beenie man and janet 'feel it'

very grooving but so perfect they seam to disappear in the mix in a good way. the only neptunes songs i've heard were on radio or tv (which is most of them?)
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Great thread... bickering and all... thumbsup
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagrant510 View Post
You can sell beats to entry level rappers. But in terms of trying to get on the radio, and competing with music that makes you want to dance, more than likely that stiff **** is going hurt you.

heh
Huh?
Old 24th August 2010
Here for the gear

SWING

Its SWING, here's an example:

Old 24th August 2010
Gear Guru

holy necro post!

You felt the need to bump this thread for THAT little gem? LOL
Old 24th August 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
holy necro post!

You felt the need to bump this thread for THAT little gem? LOL
The "Swing" is very essential, its like 75% of Hip-Hop lol
Old 24th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shintoshio View Post
Old 24th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shintoshio View Post
75% hip hop cant mess with a 100% Gangsta rap.
Old 24th August 2010
Lives for gear

The Neptunes had energy and attitude in their music, I hope Chad and P get back on it (together) and shut up the doubters.
Old 24th August 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umlaaat View Post
I dont think its a live playing thing... It sounds like the snares and kicks are moved slightly enough to give it this fragmented feeling.
thats how I achieve the same effect. Doesn't have to be played live
Old 24th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyclueless View Post
It's interesting because when I hear the Neptunes stuff, I hear it as way too stiff and over quantized. That's the primary reason for my distain for the guys, the lack of feel. But yet many seem to feel just the opposite. Makes me wana do the robot dance. ;-)
its "disdain"
Old 24th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofreak View Post
The Neptunes had energy and attitude in their music, I hope Chad and P get back on it (together) and shut up the doubters.
and a big talent!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search