The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Breaking in and Furthering a Career in HIP HOP, Suggestions?
Old 13th August 2005
no ssl yet 
Breaking in and Furthering a Career in HIP HOP, Suggestions?

Guys I'm friends with some platinum artist (dont get much assistance there), have a song credit for rapping on a platinum record last year, Have Hot material (other's opinions not just my own), BUT dont know what steps I should be taking to further my career. I spit, and produce. I understand all the problems people have with there not being good solid albums like in the hip hop glory days. I have the material thats missing to a large extent.

WTF should I be doing with it that I'm not.

Any advice?
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

On the production tip, develop your own artists. With few exceptions, all of the "name" producers got their names by producing a hit on a new artist. Tim/Missy is the best example. You have to develop your own clique with its own sound. If you have a hit, the phone won't stop ringin for a while!

As an artist that also produces, you are at an advantage as long as you are not too close to your music to be objective about it. Put together a hot album with some bangin singles... you know the formula... a few club bangers, a few struggle beats, a girl song or two... Take some pics, write a bio, get a myspace account, spend your $990 with Discmakers and send your first 5 copies to CD Baby. Do a mixtape and flood the streets with it while getting a single to the club DJ's who can possibly work it into their mixes. Do shows wherever you can, do some cameos, anything to get some exposure. Consider advertising in Ozone magazine while it is still cheap! Put together a website and then put the address on everything you can.
Since you have a studio and do your own production, you can save a lot of money on the front end and use that dough for marketing and promotion. If you're hot, eventually someone will notice and tell somone else, and so on and so on...
Old 13th August 2005
no ssl yet 
Thanks Paul

These are all things that I am doing, but sometimes it's good to hear your direction confirmed by someone who's opinion you respect.
My thinking has always been to go out and sell something. (product). If you are in the record business or desire to be, then GO SELL A RECORD

Ultimately it is what you will end up doing. You are a recording artist the moment you get serious about recording. Same thing with being in the record biz. You are in the moment you get serious about selling records.

Usually I'm the one giving this advice, but I guess I needed a little pick me up on it.

I'll stop bitchin and get back to work

For all the Philly Slutz, I'll be in your area next month, and ATLANTA Slutz, I'll see you all the following month.

I gotta keep it moving.
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

You should give me all your songs, beats and sell me your publishing... heh

For artists a little birdie told me record companies aren't concerned as much with records sold as they are with BDS radio spins. Reason why is you can put your CD in stores and buy it all back...

For your beats hire a manager in the know that can get your stuff heard by the Big names. Thats what I'm doing now hopefully something happens from it.
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet
ATLANTA Slutz, I'll see you all the following month.
It's all about the 'hit'...

IIRC, Eastside Boys tracked their first at home in Dekalb, and took it over to Hot 98(?). Somebody (DJ or PD) took a listen, liked it and gave it a spin. The phone lines lit up and the next day it was on the most requested 'Hot 10 @ 6' show. The lines lit up, it kept getting play, and the labels came courting. The track was a hit before it was a record.

Thats the way.
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

heh u know it all about air play mannnn. So many cats doing mix tapes, shows, and selling hand to hand or a few units in stores. air play puts you above the rest. Forget the promo cds, posters, post cards, etc etc, until you have gotten that air play. From what I heard, you have the music and lyrics, expect a few tracks from me heh heh heh ...........LOL. So your next step should be air play and shows, then spend cash on all the other bull****. Make those phone calls, and do what u gotta do, no why around it if u plan to do it big. I hate the way things are, but ha...... it is what is so. I'd rather do, then not do. you need 3 hot singles. one before u drop the LP, one when it does drop along with a few commericals promoting the release, then one about 2-3 months after it drops. And if you have the money drop another sradio single about 6 months after the cd release.
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher

For your beats hire a manager in the know that can get your stuff heard by the Big names. Thats what I'm doing now hopefully something happens from it.

I hear you! Man i don't know too much (anything) about the rap business but i can tell you from experience of what i have done. I'm not sure if i should put the producers website on here or not........(I think he is a scammer)

But my story is: I came across a rap producer from New York by going on his website. (produced cameron's hey ma, or so he claims on his site). I have been corresponding with him for a while and he gives me his "managers" cell phone because i told him i make beats. He tells me to give him a call and say that he reffered me. I call him up long distance and his name is "Tye"

I say "xxxxxx" gave me this number and i'm a producer, he told me you could give me some options with your services on shopping beats. Then he goes on and asks if i had any produced songs with major label artists. In my case i have not so i say no. He then goes on and on about how this is going to be so much harder for him to place my songs.

Then the next minute he starts talking about "independents" and how he loves working with "independents" because that's how we all come up in the buisiness.

And then he's like (manager) "Ya......so what labels do you want me to shop your beats too"

I'm like: "What do you suggest, I"m not too sure on the most avaliable label which accept beats from "independents" "

Manger: "Hit all of them man"

Me: "Ok that sounds great but is it possible for you to take a 50% percentage on whatever deal you can make.........in this way it's good for both of us?"

Manger: "What are you talking about kid? In this business it's all upfront money if you are serious and want to go anywhere. Nobody takes percentages anymore."

Me: "Oh i c.........okay so how much money is going to be involved, say for shopping by beats for 1 month?"

Manager: "Well, if i'm gonna hit all the major labels, its going to be $1800 for the first month"

Me: "Ok i will definietly consider that, thanks for your time but i will have to get back to you on that"

Manager: "Ummm, when do you plan on callin back, because i have a busy schedule"

Me: "Sorry, but i can't give you an exact time but how does next Tuesday afternoon sound?"

Manager (waits like 30 seconds) "Well ok man, but if you are serious about this you should definetly consider this offer. The only reason i'm even talking to you is because "artistxxxx" gave you my cell phone" "Trust me this is a good deal, i'm doing you a favour"

Me: "Yeah i appreciate that man! I will definetly get back to you on this!"

Click.

Well I'm still debating whether i should call this guy back on Tuesday......It's not like i have the money anyways so i'm not going to waste his time. But i don't know if it's me but i just had a huge gut feeling screaming: SHADY! SHADY!

What scared me was that he would not consider taking a percentage.......even if it was 50% and didn't even offer to hear my beats before asking for a price.

What bugged me was if i had the money i probably would have paid him! Lol, seriously, just the ways some of these guys talk makes you a bit scared. It's not really the words but just the overall feeling and stuff. Ok i'm going on about this too much..........
Old 13th August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatzz
I hear you! Man i don't know too much (anything) about the rap business but i can tell you from experience of what i have done. I'm not sure if i should put the producers website on here or not........(I think he is a scammer)

But my story is: I came across a rap producer from New York by going on his website. (produced cameron's hey ma, or so he claims on his site). I have been corresponding with him for a while and he gives me his "managers" cell phone because i told him i make beats. He tells me to give him a call and say that he reffered me. I call him up long distance and his name is "Tye"

I say "xxxxxx" gave me this number and i'm a producer, he told me you could give me some options with your services on shopping beats. Then he goes on and asks if i had any produced songs with major label artists. In my case i have not so i say no. He then goes on and on about how this is going to be so much harder for him to place my songs.

Then the next minute he starts talking about "independents" and how he loves working with "independents" because that's how we all come up in the buisiness.

And then he's like (manager) "Ya......so what labels do you want me to shop your beats too"

I'm like: "What do you suggest, I"m not too sure on the most avaliable label which accept beats from "independents" "

Manger: "Hit all of them man"

Me: "Ok that sounds great but is it possible for you to take a 50% percentage on whatever deal you can make.........in this way it's good for both of us?"

Manger: "What are you talking about kid? In this business it's all upfront money if you are serious and want to go anywhere. Nobody takes percentages anymore."

Me: "Oh i c.........okay so how much money is going to be involved, say for shopping by beats for 1 month?"

Manager: "Well, if i'm gonna hit all the major labels, its going to be $1800 for the first month"

Me: "Ok i will definietly consider that, thanks for your time but i will have to get back to you on that"

Manager: "Ummm, when do you plan on callin back, because i have a busy schedule"

Me: "Sorry, but i can't give you an exact time but how does next Tuesday afternoon sound?"

Manager (waits like 30 seconds) "Well ok man, but if you are serious about this you should definetly consider this offer. The only reason i'm even talking to you is because "artistxxxx" gave you my cell phone" "Trust me this is a good deal, i'm doing you a favour"

Me: "Yeah i appreciate that man! I will definetly get back to you on this!"

Click.

Well I'm still debating whether i should call this guy back on Tuesday......It's not like i have the money anyways so i'm not going to waste his time. But i don't know if it's me but i just had a huge gut feeling screaming: SHADY! SHADY!

What scared me was that he would not consider taking a percentage.......even if it was 50% and didn't even offer to hear my beats before asking for a price.

What bugged me was if i had the money i probably would have paid him! Lol, seriously, just the ways some of these guys talk makes you a bit scared. It's not really the words but just the overall feeling and stuff. Ok i'm going on about this too much..........
That's bullsh!t.... How's he gonna ask you for $1800 up front for the month???...

Every reputable manager takes a percentage. That's how you get them to work for you, because they are working to get you that deal... If you paying him anyway, who's to say he's going to even shop those beats.

Conversation should have went like this....

beatzz: Hi, I make beats

manager: OK, who have you worked for?

beatzz: No one yet..

manager: OK, send me a CD, and if I think it's hot I'll shop them, if not I will tell you... that way we don't waste each other's time.

beatzz: OK, I'll send you a CD.

manager: Cool. I'll want this much percentage to get these beats out there (anywhere between 5-25%). Let's see what you got first though...

And if he don't call you back after listening to the CD and won't answer your calls when he sees it on the caller ID, then you know you need to keep working on the tracks. If he does then you work out a deal and have him start shopping your tracks. Hopefully he'll sell one or at least come back with the feedback from the labels.
Old 13th August 2005
Great stuff!

I'm a producer with no major label credits but that's definitely what I'm working towards. I officially launched my production company "Kadesh Productions" at the start of 04 and I've done about thirty or fourty tracks for independant artists since then.

My heart is to make beats and songs for Christian artists and help bring up the production level in Christian Urban music... But I don't know how to get my stuff heard by the right people. One of the labels I work for has publishing through WEA and the CEO promised to get my stuff into the hands of Max Seigel but to be quite honest he's one of those cats who says a lot and does the least.

I said all of that to say this. Anyone with a good manager hit me up.

Peace, Paul

P.S. Beatzz, Tony already said it but I'll reiterate- Tye is garbage... I'll do it for $1400
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Addict

Where can we hear your tunes?
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Addict

I AM THE HOTTEST RAPPER IN THE WORLD

thank you
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Excellent advice Tony! I knew i should always trust gut feelings.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search