The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hip Hop in the studio = cell phone madness
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Addict

Hip Hop in the studio = cell phone madness

Hip Hop in the studio = cell phone madness ..... everyones on their cell phone talking about nothing ... I can not tell you how many times I have had to stop recording becuase the singers cell phone rang in the booth ... and then they just start talking on and on ... Yea man I am laying down a vocal in the booth right now what's up ... ...... know what Im sayin ... ....
Old 12th August 2005
Man, that or they will come in wearing nylon track pants!! All you hear is swoosing around every time the move at all. Other guys will wear chains that clank around. I just always make people pile al thier crap (chains, cell phones, guns lol) on the table before they get near the mic. Damn annoying though.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip Audio
Man, that or they will come in wearing nylon track pants!! All you hear is swoosing around every time the move at all. Other guys will wear chains that clank around. I just always make people pile al thier crap (chains, cell phones, guns lol) on the table before they get near the mic. Damn annoying though.
i let my artist bring their cellphones in the studio but turn them on silent and no cellphone in the booth...no chains in the booth.. nothing thats gonna add noise or a odd sound into the vocal chain.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMusic
i let my artist bring their cellphones in the studio but turn them on silent and no cellphone in the booth...no chains in the booth.. nothing thats gonna add noise or a odd sound into the vocal chain.

same here thumbsup ..............control your studio man.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

How do they sing without the bling? heh
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral

hahahaa good question.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
are you suggesting that it is some sort of security blanket??? something that reminds them that they are badd

I tried to sample the swoosh of the pants once...

instead of the sound of someone running, I got the sound of carrying (plastic) grocery bags around...
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

every real rapper on a real level, especially those signed to labels usually take off their chains and put the cells/2ways on vibrate. they do not carry their cells into the booth either.

I didnt know rappers were the only folks that talk on cell phones in the studio.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

if they are paying me per hour I love when they have a 20 minutes phone conversation in the booth while i sit back and have a drink. c'mon now...
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop
if they are paying me per hour I love when they have a 20 minutes phone conversation in the booth while i sit back and have a drink. c'mon now...
heh

I'll drink to that...
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

^^^Me too!! Love free money!
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop
o yea, no doubt...spend as much time on the phone as you want...
when its a block or day rate.. i try to get them off the phone quick. i have a young female artist that be gettin phone calls. i be grabin her phone tellin the dude or her friend to call back cuz time is money and they're fuc*kin with my time.
i only let her talk to her moms..
i gotta say its real fun doing that sometimes. some guys be callin back.. i hang right back up on them... they get all mad, who that guy your wit bla bla bla.. lol
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Uh... put them on silent? I can hear a "pre-cell phone ring" notification through my speakers before the phone rings. I hear the same thing on the speakerphone at work. You get this Zzzzzzz.... about 3 seconds before somebody's cell rings. Nextel phones are the worst.

I make everybody turn them off.

Lawrence
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I make everyone pile their stuff up too. I usually forget to do it until we do a vocal take, and i hear all their sh** clankin around.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Everyone who has a session at my place must turn off their phones.
Even when not recording; it's extremely irritating when your brainstorming
about some ideas, and suddenly the phone rings....bye-bye concentration and attention!
I bet that there are assholes who work with heavy-weights like Quincy Jones,
and pick up the phone, chatter on for half an hour while Quincy was about to give you the pearls.... ....bye-bye mutual respect!
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlotto
every real rapper on a real level, especially those signed to labels usually take off their chains and put the cells/2ways on vibrate. they do not carry their cells into the booth either.

I didnt know rappers were the only folks that talk on cell phones in the studio.
I work with almost only label rap artists (not to be synonymous with 'real') and while I don't recall many incidents with phones rining in the booth, everyone still leaves their phones in the control room. Mnay producers will have 2 or three going off non-stop. Drives me nuts and has pretty uch just become accepted as inevitable. I think it may be more prominant in hiphop because not only do you have teh cellphones, but you haev the 2 ways inaddition to them, thus more chances of interruptions.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search