The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
kataztraphy - drum sounds
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

kataztraphy - drum sounds

hey, i dunno why that drumsound thread was closed but... i'm listening to that little spanish guitar loop, i couldnt be arsed to read that whole thread, but i would say:

i DONT think it's a good idea to hire out a GOOD studio and top quality mics etc cos it's the rawness you want.

all i can say is this mate, and it wont cost you much to try: go out and buy and old emax 12 bit sampler, get a mic and borrow an old snare drum - dont borrow a new big/deep snare, borrow an old one not so deep, and wire the mic into a cheap mixer channel and route that straight out to the emax sample input

sample the drum with the mic close up and you gotta learn also how to hit a rimshot with the stick to also get rimshots, but anyways, try sampling at 22k & 15k, dont go straight for 44.1 or 48k - also try tuning the snare in different ways... anyways, after sampling, play the sample/s out of the emax into your DAW direct and then do any layering with whatever sounds (more samples from the sampler or whatever)

to try this will cost you max mebbe 200 bucks for the sampler and surely you have a decent mic (nothing too flashy remember) then you gotta borrow the drums or get 'em from pawn shops or whatever, but you dont have to setup a whole kit... never do that anyways cos if you setup a whole kit, the other dums will be heard resonating when you strike & sample the one drum you DO want to sample, so setup the snare alone on a stand and if there's no stand so what, use a chair or whatever

anyways, trust me..... sample direct to 12bit E-MAX (or akai s900/950, but emax is best) with NOTHING in fancy in the signal path.

i cant say WHY techicaly cos it's not gonna make any difference 'why', but it is NOTHING like the sound of drums sampled in a 'quality' studio by a typical 'good' engineer in a quality drum room, and recorded thru a top quality preamp to some sort of hi-end digital recording system

try and use a room in your crib thats not too live and not too dead, NEVER use a room with false hollow walls, try and use a room with plaster walls and thick carpet, and plenty of furnishings like a sofa etc, dont use a room with bare walls & no shelves pictures etc... but to be honest you can put quilts and drapes and stuff on the floor/walls to change the room abience, but i'm saying basicaly put the mic close to the drum when sampling anyways and very little 'room' sound will be present (like on that guitar loop posted which does have some slight room sound on it), but dont use a really dead room or a live sounding room.

Anyways, try it, i guarantee you you'll know what i mean when you hear the rawness coming out of that 12 bit emax or akai.

by the way, that guitar loop sample, EASILY acheiveable thru that method, (frankly you wouldnt need the 12bit sampler to get that loop), BUt, that loop isnt done in a top studio with a top mic by the sound of it it's done in a slightly ambient small room with a cheap mic.

of course outside of drums for loops like that guitar loop you just need someone who can play an intersting little arabic style lick like that so get an old cheap spanish guitar & practice and make some cool single strings licks to loop.

... but it's the rawness the nastyness (by 'pro' engineering standards) that you want to hear cos if it's raw it can be then smoothed afterwards but never the other way round

i can 100% tell you any drumsound played back from an emax (or akai) 12 bit sampler will annihilate the same sample played back from a 16 or 24 bit sampler or DAW system.

it's hard to describe how cos it actualy has theoreticaly LESS dynamic range than a modern sample system, but, when you hear it you'll know.

make freinds with some drummers too btw so you can borrow drums or get them to come over with the drums to increase your library
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Maniac

can you send some snare samples?!
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

yeah, they are $20 each
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

theres one

Tama_1.wav
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanks 7161, i appreciate your help and that sounds like a good idea. I'll give that a shot and see how it goes. Im still going to book a studio very soon and see how that goes aswell just so i know.Thanks.
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Maniac

7161, that snare sounds cool. What im into is really kicks and claps.

Can you post 1 kick just so i get an idea of what your method sounds like?

If you have a timbo style kick or something.

Thanks!
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kataztraphy

If you have a timbo style kick or something.

Thanks!
fyi you can get dre style KICK and CLAP from chopping the intro on "How We Do" by game...

not sure if you got that on the other thread

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search