The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Emu proteus 2000 display
Old 26th May 2009
Gear Maniac

Emu proteus 2000 display

hi my proteus 2000 display is fading away you can hardly see what it saying..any idea what could be the problem?
Old 26th May 2009
Here for the gear

i dont have a clue but if it's any comfort to ya........ you can pull the rom chip out and load it into another e-mu rack synth if you have another unit in your rack such as mo phatt, proteus 2500, and so on
Old 27th May 2009
Gear Nut

I have the same problem. My Proteus 2000 screen is not readable. It just has a whole bunch of black squares with the text barely legible. I've tried adjusting the viewing angle (contrast) setting, and it did not help at all. I don't have any more E-MU modules, so I can't swap the rom chip. Maybe, I'll buy an X-Lead or Virtuoso as an excuse.
Old 27th May 2009
Lives for gear

Sounds like you boys all have dying/dead backlights. Check out Telesis Used Gear & Backlights

Super good guy, and will hook you all up, on the cheap.

alexP
Old 28th May 2009
Gear Maniac

ok i have a extream lead, mabe i con swop the displays, anyone know how i can do this my self..
Old 28th May 2009
Here for the gear

just add the preteus rom to the lead and have everything in one unit. i think there are 2 extra rom slots under the hood
Old 28th May 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly_Keyz View Post
just add the preteus rom to the lead and have everything in one unit. i think there are 2 extra rom slots under the hood
is there any instructions in how to do it, i think there is 1 slot exra in the exream lead 1, i got 3 roms in the proteus, composer, phatt and xl1...
Old 28th May 2009
Lives for gear

Check here:

Welcome to EPR ProAudio Electronics - Tampa, Florida - Emu, Alesis, Ensoniq, Korg, Soundtracs and more, SP-3 SCSI interface for ASR-10

There the only accredited repair facility for EMU. They also sell parts.
Old 29th May 2009
Did you try and adjust the display?

RTM?
Old 31st May 2009
Gear Maniac

Its wierd when i look at the display in a angel i can c it clearly, but when i look striaght into it then it blury kinda even tho the green display is bright.. i tried the view angel adjustment from the edit mode but it dont help....wierd, how do i a adjust the contrast and stuff? manuel dont help, cant find it in there...
Old 24th January 2011
Here for the gear

Here it is almost two years later and here's a bump for the same reason. Proteus 2000 display all black when viewed head on. Not an infrequent problem; beside mine and this one there are one or two others I know of.

It is not the LCD. I plugged the Proteus display into an Xtreme Lead 1 video connection and the display showed the XL1 information clear as a bell. The problem is the Proteus graphic hardware. I'm trying to find a schematic of the Proteus. My theory: the display appears to be backward. It is dark head on. I think, if you could view it from the back, it would be clear. IE it's showing the opposite of what it should be showing. If I can figure out which leads control the color depth, I could swap them, and the display would appear properly. It's worth a shot.

Either that, or I have a HALO that I can put the Proteus's Composer ROM into and just use that. It would be a HALO and a PK-6. And if I put my XL1 ROM into the keyboard, it would be a HALO/PK-6/XK-6 all at the same time. Oh, and I also have the Sounds of the ZR ROM, and there's a slot for that, so I would have a HALO/PK-6/XK-6/ZR-60. Neat. Yes, that's today's project.

Ah, but from what I read (this is an edit) the HALO has the Sounds of the ZR as its base ROM. So essentially I have the XL1, Proteus, and two ZRs. That should be interesting.

Although it would be nice to keep everything in separate modules for simultaneous access, I don't play live, strictly studio straight to disk. I would rather be able to see all the programs on a readable screen, and control through a real keyboard is a plus. Still, the Proteus has 128 voices and the HALO has only 64, so putting the Composer ROM in the keyboard would be a step down. As long as there's rack space, no need to worry.

But, I am going to find a solution for the Proteus's display problem. I don't like problems I can't solve. Peace
Old 18th August 2011
Gear Nut

Just a few days ago, I was given a Virtuoso 2000 to fix with an almost unreadable display.
You can read it at the 6 o'clock position but at no other angle.
The Virtuoso contrast control system makes a difference but nothing useful, going from +7 to -8 just makes things worse.
As a techie, I know a bit about LCD's and as the display's contents were correct for every menu choice, and the backlight was fine, I went hunting for a fault in the V2k's contrast control system.
A latch chip on the V2k acts as a 4 bit DAC that supplies the contrast voltage for the display. Thorough testing of this system showed it to be working fine, the only oddity was a -16 volt on one side of a 10k resistor used as a bias for the contrast system.
I didn't pass any remarks on this at the time, and proceeded to fit a contrast trimmer to the display itself to make sure the display was OK.
It was, the trimmer was able to make the display perfectly visible from in front, the V2k's visual angle control still worked.
I was just going to install the trimmer permanently and call it job done when dinner beckoned and while enjoying a steak and kidney pie, I had a Eureka moment about the -16V I found earlier, could the power supply be at fault?
It was, I was getting the 5V the DSP's need but +18V and -16V on the rails for the analog parts, this didn't affect the audio but was messing up the contrast system.
I am not used to the idea of switchmode PSU's going out of tolerance, usually they work perfectly or not at all.
I rebuilt the switcher by replacing all the capacitors on the low voltage side of it, using capacitance values from the Motorola Datasheet for the 3844 chip used in the V2k, my theory being that that the 5V rail was struggling to achieve 5V, and thus lifting the other 2 rails.
After the rebuild and test, the voltages on the PSU were 5V and +-12.5 Volts, and the standard contrast was perfect.
The bottom line, if you are techy, try what I did, and if not, try swapping power supplies if you have more than one 2000 type EMU, to confirm the contrast issue is PSU related, and then buy a replacement from EPR.
All the above was done without the aid of any EMU service manual.
Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear
Try emulator x3 I have all the old modules.

And Yup.its Windows 7 64 bit compatible! The synths are killer.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 19th August 2011
Gear Head

I want to confirm synthnerdireland's comment (it wasn't here yesterday when I looked, so I didn't see his post until just now.) I swapped power supplies between a working P1K and a P2K with a dark display and all is now well with the P2K. At some point soon I'll likely rework the bad supply. At least now I know where the problem lies.
Old 7th August 2013
Here for the gear
EMU Proteus 2000 Display - PS Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthnerdireland View Post
Just a few days ago, I was given a Virtuoso 2000 to fix with an almost unreadable display.
You can read it at the 6 o'clock position but at no other angle.
The Virtuoso contrast control system makes a difference but nothing useful, going from +7 to -8 just makes things worse.
As a techie, I know a bit about LCD's and as the display's contents were correct for every menu choice, and the backlight was fine, I went hunting for a fault in the V2k's contrast control system.
A latch chip on the V2k acts as a 4 bit DAC that supplies the contrast voltage for the display. Thorough testing of this system showed it to be working fine, the only oddity was a -16 volt on one side of a 10k resistor used as a bias for the contrast system.
I didn't pass any remarks on this at the time, and proceeded to fit a contrast trimmer to the display itself to make sure the display was OK.
It was, the trimmer was able to make the display perfectly visible from in front, the V2k's visual angle control still worked.
I was just going to install the trimmer permanently and call it job done when dinner beckoned and while enjoying a steak and kidney pie, I had a Eureka moment about the -16V I found earlier, could the power supply be at fault?
It was, I was getting the 5V the DSP's need but +18V and -16V on the rails for the analog parts, this didn't affect the audio but was messing up the contrast system.
I am not used to the idea of switchmode PSU's going out of tolerance, usually they work perfectly or not at all.
I rebuilt the switcher by replacing all the capacitors on the low voltage side of it, using capacitance values from the Motorola Datasheet for the 3844 chip used in the V2k, my theory being that that the 5V rail was struggling to achieve 5V, and thus lifting the other 2 rails.
After the rebuild and test, the voltages on the PSU were 5V and +-12.5 Volts, and the standard contrast was perfect.
The bottom line, if you are techy, try what I did, and if not, try swapping power supplies if you have more than one 2000 type EMU, to confirm the contrast issue is PSU related, and then buy a replacement from EPR.
All the above was done without the aid of any EMU service manual.
Wow!
Thank you from Kentucky, USA!!!
I just purchased and replaced the LCD display in my Proteus 2000 qnd still has the same problem you other forum members described regarding the ilegible display.
I have an old EMU Orbit. Is it possible that I could pull the PS out of it and use it in the Proteus.
Would it be best to just rebuild the PS as you described or purchase replacement?
Thanks again :-)
Old 15th January 2014
Here for the gear

I recently picked up an Xtreme Lead 1 and I was told by a tech that the fading screen is an issue of the power supply.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search