The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone dig Mobb Deep?
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Anyone dig Mobb Deep?

Just listening to their second album... Classic stuff!

Anyone know anything about how they work?

Lots of noir/horror sound tracks and soundscapes which jump way out of the speakers.. Not to mention serious amounts of low bass, a lot of it distorted!

Sounds like the mixer used a Behringer Ultrafex on its widest/bassiest setting?

Something more expensive?
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

i met them last week. they some cool guys, alchemist too.
next time i holla at havoc i'll run some questions by him about to know album.. nothing like info direct from the source
Old 7th August 2005
It's hell on earth who's next or gonna be first? The projects is frontline and the enemy is 1 time... I love the way they used to spit... Seems like they'd pretty much run their course by the third or fourth album though.

Just take some big kicks, punchy snares or thick side sticks, and dirty high hats... Program srtaigh eights with the hats, two and four on the snare/stick, and find an intersting but minimal kick pattern.

Dun........Crack.......DuDunCrack..............DuDun..........Crack.................DudunCrack

Then get a phat sine bass and create a catchy pentatonic riff that will cycle every two bars.

Find some filler noise and maybe something from a soundtrack or old record that you can put in the right key and tempo.

Then have some really gifted lyricists come and own the beats with lyrical hooks and street stories for verses.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Now they're on G-unit and they have a single out with 50... and the verses are garbage, in my mind.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Would be great to get some info from Havoc!

Fave track for me is "Shook Ones part 2"... Great guest vox from Method Man and Nas.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop
Now they're on G-unit and they have a single out with 50... and the verses are garbage, in my mind.
prodigy been garbage since his solo. the last hot verse he kicked was the 2nd verse of "quiet storm" and then he fell off. Havoc's verse is fire on the 50 and mobb "outta control" remix. Mobb needs to write about "stuff" not just chicks & guns- give us some stories and visuals
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Welll... Ya know, if you watch Scarface enough times...
Old 7th August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9
Would be great to get some info from Havoc!

Fave track for me is "Shook Ones part 2"...
I have the sample they used for that song...
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
Thats a really menacing spooky, swirly backing track... *edit- the intro I mean* It almost sounds like a slowed-down section jazz fusion tune Chick Corea or something! DO you know by ny chance?
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I love Mobb Deep
The Infamous is one of my favourite albums of all times
I also like what havoc did on Nas' Lost Tapes
that song is crazy
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

trust me when i say thay have some new HOT sh!t, but they aren't nor can they imo make another Shook Ones.
that beat is still hard today.. i love that sh!t. they're off tour with g-unit toward the end of the month.. i'ma try to holla at havoc then.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

1 of the Greatest rap groups ever
Old 11th August 2005
jgo
Gear Head

Hell yeah, Mobb Deep still one of my favs 90's & post 90's groups.
Flavor for the Non Believers !!!

And I gotta hand it to Alchemist, dude is nice on the production.
I dunno why but I was REALLy feeling, Win or Lose, Hold You down & It's a Craze.

I'm not the worlds biggest 50 fan, but I am feelin that new Mobb single featuring 50, least for time being.
Though, now that they're on G-Unit I am sure new Mobb will get shoved up & down our earholes till we're sick of hearing it!
Old 11th August 2005

I just came from the Anger Management tour and they performed a couple of songs. They were great... I guess they signed with G Unit Records...

Also, the intro from shook one's is from a Quincy Jones song. I have it on vinyl around here somewhere..
Old 11th August 2005
jgo
Gear Head

Quote:
You talking about the Thackery/Faculty joint or the Daly Wilson breakbeat?
It's crazy how they turned that weird ass sample into a classic beat.
Old 11th August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgo
You talking about the Thackery/Faculty joint or the Daly Wilson breakbeat?
It's crazy how they turned that weird ass sample into a classic beat.
I got the Thackery joint, and the sh!t from the Dollar record which has the intro....
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Head

At one point, Mobb Deep really spoke to me - "I'm only nineteen, but my mind is old, and when the things get really for real my warm heart turns cold..." "...for all those, who wanna profile and pose, rock you in the face stab ya brain witcha nose bone..."
I mean, WTF?!? lol... That sh*t was powerful... Seriously - I grew up as an adolescent in early '90's Chicago - 30 gang members on the corner, with pitbulls on chains and sledgehammers slung over their shoulders... security on the rooftop with 30-30 rifles... fiends going through the gangway of my building like a drive-thru, robbing the fridges out of peoples cribs... having to step over o.d. junkies in the stairwell to go to school... young cats getting gunned down in broad daylight in front of crossing guards and all that old inner-city nightmare type sh*t... lol...
This was the setting in which I heard "The Infamous" for the first time... After years of being inundated with super violent imagery by NWA, Ghetto Boys, Top Authority, et. al., I can still remember my inital reaction to Mobb Deep - chills....
Like, no one, IMO, ever quite captured the feelings of alienation from and arrogant hostility to the american mainstream that me and my peers lived every day with... They acheived rarely equaled moments of stark lucidity and ice-cold clarity on that joint (though perhaps exceeded by the Deck verse on C.R.E.A.M.), and few hip hop albums to this day bring forth such delicious shudders and perverse nostalgia for my own Juvenile Hell as "The Infamous"...
"I'm lost in the blocks of hate and can't wait, for the next crab niggah ta step and meet fate... so why you wanna end ya little life like this? Cuz now you bumped heads with kids that's lifeless..."
Peep that last line - I thing it strikes at the heart of the album, and the heart of my generation's mentality... Mobb Deep really fed off of all that "Juvenile Predator" garbage that so heavily saturated the popular media in the late '80's and early '90's e.g. Bernard Goetz, the Central Park Jogger, the New York press getting all worked-up and titulated over "whylin'", Robert Sandifer's short and sad life... And, more generally, the whole hysteria over crime and lawless urban cores (read "young black and latino men") that produced phenomena like Giuliani's mayoral stardom, Daley's "Gang Loitering" ordinance, Three Strikes laws, etc... It's like, they took all that hypocritical demonization and just ran with it...
So, whether or not Mobb Deep was or is your cup of tea, I think it can best be understood as a sharp example of art reflecting the zeitgeist...
Like, centuries of slavery and semi-feudal sharecropping - then decades of planned segregation, studiously orchestrated neglect and isolation, institutionalized violence, and wholesale dismantling of the basic infrasctructure of life in urban cores throughout the country culminates in "The Infamous"... Ya Feel me?
I think that other posts here have already commented on the production sphere in such a well-stated way that anything I might add would be redundant at best - let's just say that for what it was and what it was trying to communicate, beatsmithing don't get no better than that...
BTW: I agree with the majority opinion here on their more recent work - most of it since "Quiet Storm" has been hot garbage... But, then again, that's how I feel about most recent hip hop in general, so...

Chicago Rocks - representin' pa' toda mi gente como Hector Lavoe...
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
"I'm only nineteen, but my mind is old, and when the things get really for real my warm heart turns cold..."
lol... My bad kids - typo...
Old 11th August 2005
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneleven
At one point, Mobb Deep really spoke to me - "I'm only nineteen, but my mind is old, and when the things get really for real my warm heart turns cold..." "...for all those, who wanna profile and pose, rock you in the face stab ya brain witcha nose bone..."
I mean, WTF?!? lol... That sh*t was powerful... Seriously - I grew up as an adolescent in early '90's Chicago - 30 gang members on the corner, with pitbulls on chains and sledgehammers slung over their shoulders... security on the rooftop with 30-30 rifles... fiends going through the gangway of my building like a drive-thru, robbing the fridges out of peoples cribs... having to step over o.d. junkies in the stairwell to go to school... young cats getting gunned down in broad daylight in front of crossing guards and all that old inner-city nightmare type sh*t... lol...
This was the setting in which I heard "The Infamous" for the first time... After years of being inundated with super violent imagery by NWA, Ghetto Boys, Top Authority, et. al., I can still remember my inital reaction to Mobb Deep - chills....
Like, no one, IMO, ever quite captured the feelings of alienation from and arrogant hostility to the american mainstream that me and my peers lived every day with... They acheived rarely equaled moments of stark lucidity and ice-cold clarity on that joint (though perhaps exceeded by the Deck verse on C.R.E.A.M.), and few hip hop albums to this day bring forth such delicious shudders and perverse nostalgia for my own Juvenile Hell as "The Infamous"...
"I'm lost in the blocks of hate and can't wait, for the next crab niggah ta step and meet fate... so why you wanna end ya little life like this? Cuz now you bumped heads with kids that's lifeless..."
Peep that last line - I thing it strikes at the heart of the album, and the heart of my generation's mentality... Mobb Deep really fed off of all that "Juvenile Predator" garbage that so heavily saturated the popular media in the late '80's and early '90's e.g. Bernard Goetz, the Central Park Jogger, the New York press getting all worked-up and titulated over "whylin'", Robert Sandifer's short and sad life... And, more generally, the whole hysteria over crime and lawless urban cores (read "young black and latino men") that produced phenomena like Giuliani's mayoral stardom, Daley's "Gang Loitering" ordinance, Three Strikes laws, etc... It's like, they took all that hypocritical demonization and just ran with it...
So, whether or not Mobb Deep was or is your cup of tea, I think it can best be understood as a sharp example of art reflecting the zeitgeist...
Like, centuries of slavery and semi-feudal sharecropping - then decades of planned segregation, studiously orchestrated neglect and isolation, institutionalized violence, and wholesale dismantling of the basic infrasctructure of life in urban cores throughout the country culminates in "The Infamous"... Ya Feel me?
I think that other posts here have already commented on the production sphere in such a well-stated way that anything I might add would be redundant at best - let's just say that for what it was and what it was trying to communicate, beatsmithing don't get no better than that...
BTW: I agree with the majority opinion here on their more recent work - most of it since "Quiet Storm" has been hot garbage... But, then again, that's how I feel about most recent hip hop in general, so...

Chicago Rocks - representin' pa' toda mi gente como Hector Lavoe...

What he said, dun!
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

That just about sums up the the feeling of menace on that disk
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgo
Though, now that they're on G-Unit I am sure new Mobb will get shoved up & down our earholes till we're sick of hearing it!
Better then Lil Jon and the weak side boyz or any of those other Crunk clowns from downsouth
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher
Better then Lil Jon and the weak side boyz or any of those other Crunk clowns from downsouth
hey man!

why all the hate for us brothers from the dirty? i'm in nyc now and I hear it all day long. Brothers down home trying to get to a different place with our music then ya'll do up here in nyc. nyc got the lyrics fo sho but we not tryin to gun bus and sell drugs on the corner in all our records.- we tryin to party. most nyc rappers forgot about the feel good aspects of music. we just doin out thing man, no need for the disrespect.

By the way- mobb fell off when prodigy fell off right before his HINC solo album. He aint been right since. I can see ghostwriters in his future at g-unit records
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

no hate, i think Ludacris, outkast, scarface, Deacon Da Villain and other underground artists are ok....Its the 'crunk' movement i can't stand...does anyone take pride in what they spit anymore?

While I'm on this rant wtf happened to 50 cent....he was never a lyrical genius but sh!t....the 2 singles he dropped I could see a pre teen writing that...
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher
While I'm on this rant wtf happened to 50 cent....he was never a lyrical genius but sh!t....the 2 singles he dropped I could see a pre teen writing that...
he's trying to be the new ja rule.
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relax
he's trying to be the new ja rule.
yup its sickening to say the least...but at least for him he ain't selling out and flopping like alot of other artists.
Old 12th August 2005
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
hey man. any chance you can let me hear that sample? I've been wanting to hear the original shook one sample for a minute. pm if needed.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search