The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Why do you really do Hip-Hop?
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Why do you really do Hip-Hop?

I've been involved in music since before I could remember. All I can remember from back then is that I just loved to do it. Music moves my soul. Over the recent years the desire to start a label and make money has greatly reduced my abilities to make the type of product I expect.

With new labels popping up like weeds, it's easy to fall victim. Now, I've thrown in that towel...trying to steer clear of the masses directions and have gotten back to what it was all about from jump street. Making good music. Ok, if someone wants to pay me $20k for a track, can't say that I'd argue. However, leaving the material things out of the music process has yielded me the results I like. And for me...that's all that matters. So now, I can honestly say, I do Hip-Hop because I love it...and that's it.

Why do you do Hip-Hop?
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I have a tendency to do things backwards....
HIP HOP taught me music...It lead me to Funk and Soul and eventualy Reggae andit started my lifelong adoration of the Vinyl record... I remember learning time signature and groove with my mpc2000xl. Although I mostly listen to the old stuff it does something to me that s just magical...
Hip Hop is a form of musical expression that is raw and accessible plus i feel it brings people from very different backgrounds together...
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Yes, very true. To me first of all, I love the music! I love the emotional content and the urgency that alot of hip-hop music/lyrics provides.

Without loving the music itself that one produces, I think that producing the music would not be inspiring or even worth it. I have tried to produce in genre's I did not have a passion for.......and well......once you heard the end product you could definetly tell. That's been my experience, lol.

Other reason's I like hip hop would be that often times i get tired of listening to songs and not knowing the meaing.

Eg: Nirvana. Great band, but I can honestly say I have no clue what their songs are about. But with hip-hop alot of the time it's in you face and blunt. But otoh their are always more Poetic rappers as well, which i do admire and respect.

I love going to a rap concert and seeing all races of people present as well! I'm not saying that doesn't happen for rock concerts, but probably not to the extent as it does for hip-hop.
Old 6th August 2005
cause i want to get rich and (SEXUAL TEXT DELETED BY MODERATOR tutt )
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

I'm on dat paper chase....have to save up for that Neve clone ..

When i was younger i actually listened to alot of early rap...but its the same w/ everything, there are always a few bad apples, whether no talent or just impossible to work with in ANY genra of music.

rock

sdf
Old 7th August 2005
pan
Lives for gear

Hiphop Artists bring in Weed and Chicks -

...and it's much easier to set up a DJ and a Vocal-Booth than a whole Band with Drums and all that stuff...

Actually, the Vibe is just different...seems you have more time to tweak without getting your customers breathing in your neck - might be due to the weed
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Agreed - its the chronic.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface
Why do you do Hip-Hop?
Chuck D.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

HIP HOP is the love of my life since the age of 12
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

'Cause a DJ spinning is the reason I fell in love with music.

Peece,
T. Tauri
Old 7th August 2005
no ssl yet
Djs and Beats and Rhymes

Man I come from the Era when we had Cash money (the DJ), Jazzy Jeff, Mr. Mixx (of 2 live crew). Man remember when Dj's scrached on the HOOK. THAT **** made me wanna Rap. the
THE DOC (no one can do it better), Scarface and the Ghetto Boys

Hurbie Lovebug production era, Marley Marl, and DRE CUBE REN and NWA.

BDP, Eric B and Rakim. KOOL G rap and Polo. Beatstreet and the movies. ICE T and 6 in the morning. Public Enemy (Terminator x "go off a go off") Slick Rick "Lick the Ballz"

MY ADIDAS and Run's house. SWeet T and Jazzy Joyce. Hell How can I not do hip hop

Mantronix, It's YOUrssss (computer programmed with just one finger)
Old 8th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan
Hiphop Artists bring in Weed and Chicks -
Try doing a Reggaeton session.

The girls that are brought are hotter.

Compared to a hiphop session where its like 50 cats and 4 girls, a reggaton session is totally the opposite.
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Try doing a Reggaeton session.

The girls that are brought are hotter.

Compared to a hiphop session where its like 50 cats and 4 girls, a reggaton session is totally the opposite.
I would keep your reggaeton adventures below the radar thrill hahahaahaha

even if you do it for the chicks, just don't tell anyone pleasee!!!!! : )
Old 8th August 2005
pan
Lives for gear

Chicks are hotter in NYC anyways:-)
...and they shure know hot to sing right?

... to get back to the real deal of rap-production: the vocal work.
It's just great to get a (sometimes) simple backing track boomping and grooving, when the vocals come into play.
It is often an on spot creativity scribbled and put into place on track - "goin'liiieeve"
Good singers know how to go for their style - laying track after track in different voices, but like one. Doing adlibs and shouts.
...would the ladies please step up the mic!.., we still need a chorus!!!

What's that reggaeton about? Some "crunkiesque" roots adventures?
50 chicks raving in the control-room dancing for 4 guys behind the glass?
May we please have a dedicated reggae and root's forum - please?
Old 8th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek

Well lets see...

Stories about hiphop sessions with 50 guys shooting dice and smoking blunts in the live room...

Or...

Stories about Reggaeton sessions with 50 girls playing spin the bottle with an empty Moet bottle in the live room...

and the prize being who's turn is it to make out(and i don't mean lips on lips if you get my drift) with one of the 4 guys in the studio(you being the engineer is one of them)?

I'll let you decide. heh

I didn't get into the music business just for the music know.
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Well lets see...

Stories about hiphop sessions with 50 guys shooting dice and smoking blunts in the live room...

Or...

Stories about Reggaeton sessions with 50 girls playing spin the bottle with an empty Moet bottle in the live room...

and the prize being who's turn is it to make out(and i don't mean lips on lips if you get my drift) with one of the 4 guys in the studio(you being the engineer is one of them)?

I'll let you decide. heh

I didn't get into the music business just for the music know.

but that beat is soooooooooooooooo annoying. doom, bah doom pah, doom...
Old 8th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fajita
but that beat is soooooooooooooooo annoying. doom, bah doom pah, doom...

Yeah but who cares. heh

To me all modern music is annoying.

Its a fun gig for a change.

Again cute latin girls hanging about,producers with lots of energy(all the producers are under 21) and all the artists are easy to deal with.

The minute it gets old i'll do something else.
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface
Why do you do Hip-Hop?
Because being able to do it well pays more and theres more clients.

As much as I love underground hip-hop, most of the rap sessions I do are with ****ty rappers with ****tier beats. The good ones do it for themselves first, so they're happy to do it their bedroom with reason and an mbox. When their ready to make a record, I'm here.
Old 28th May 2008
Gear Nut

When I started buying gear and stuff I guess I was just pissed at the local scene and all the crappy so called "hip hop" on the radio. I was just a chronic freestyler at that point and said I wouldn't really write anything down until I could write my own beats. Then I bought my 2000xl and started writing and it seems like from that point on my addiction just grew. I guess I would have to say that I make hip hop because I can't live without it. I'm addicted to the music.....
Old 28th May 2008
Lives for gear
I engineer hiphop because it's the genre I love and I want to make engineering my living somewhere down the road. I think (I'm 24, life still has too many surprises in store for me to tell). I write rap because I absolutely have to. It's what I do and I couldn't imagine spending those 3-4 hrs a day doing anything else. Plus people tell me I'm actually good at it, yay.
Old 28th May 2008
Lives for gear

because when i fell in love with it it was still new, fresh and exciting.
THE cool thing to do. f*ck you and your band, i got turntables and know how to scratch!!!

nowadays it's part of the establishment... it had to be turned into "real" music for some reason... how boring. dfegad

f*ck all that ****, let me get a fat capped can and f*ck up the yards!
Old 28th May 2008
Lives for gear

I make Hip-Hop music because I love being a part of an evolving art form.

The same thing is true for me with modern glassblowing, I've done that for about 10 years. It was virtually the same for thousands of years until the past century, in the last decade it has exploded to an insane level since a bunch of hippies got ahold of the internet.

Hip-Hop is (one of the) the only form(s) of music where so many ideas can be expressed so clearly and quickly. It is just getting started. There is so much promise for the art form. It is much more powerful than most people understand. Just take a look at some of the rappers in Iraq, Jerusalem, Palestine...... those guys are changing things over there.... it's crazy.
Old 29th May 2008
Lives for gear

Nas says Hip-Hop is dead......and dont tell me he fell off, i know yall heard that new "The slave and the master" track on youtube.
Old 29th May 2008
Lives for gear

For the art...and for the living proof that there is just ONE school..the university of the soul
Old 29th May 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cue View Post
Chuck D.
Chuck Norris
Old 29th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek View Post

??? ... hey dude this is the HIP HOP forum, not the rock n roll boliviano forum, so please avoid dissin reggaeton, thank you. No it's not smart and it's not funny. You dont want me to type clearly whut I think about your music... igual pa Fajita.
Old 29th May 2008
Dor
Lives for gear

The recorded genre is Rap, not Hip-Hop.

D
Old 29th May 2008
Lives for gear
because the first time I heard it in it's essence Schooly D "P.S.K." I was like what the F87k is this it possesed me. I had to learn how to breakdance, scratch program a drum machine all that Sh8t. I was a young kid in Gangbanged out los Angelesi n the Cracked out 80's and this music had all my attention. To get my records up and my DJ Gear and skills I had to travel all over the city. The homies and I would be on the RTD(Bus) all times and places learning struggling all that Sh8t. Just 13, 14, 15 trying to stay out this Gang Sh8t and learn music. There were no bands around like my older Homie Ray learned with by playing with garage bands around the neighborhood. He grew up in the 70's though with Funk and some Jazz. We did have the bands to learn from we were just trying not to get shot. While we Did all things Hip Hop. So alot of kids like me got another experience growing up than many that fell into the streets. I still went though alot just going through so many hoods to Hip Hop! Just living life sh8t can go down but like Miami things were very hot here!! The city was on fire with a darkness of violence. I lost many classmates to Gang violence and I went to a so called good school. I think this a really powerful thing about Hip Hop that is often missed. If you go back and look at early Zulu nation footage. look at the crowd - there are some gangstas and Thugs in those films dancing there ass of to Hip Hop. Kinda of hard to hurt someone else when your dancing Ur Ass of feeling alive and free! That's what Hip Hop is to me.

When MC's started drawing down on each other and sucker punching because they lost a verbal battle. I became worried that Hip Hop is atleast in trouble.

Jazztone
Old 29th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
nowadays it's part of the establishment... it had to be turned into "real" music for some reason... how boring. dfegad

f*ck all that ****, let me get a fat capped can and f*ck up the yards!
basically...

Old 29th May 2008
Lives for gear

PS: "rap is something you do. hip hop is something you live."

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search