The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
fastest way to chop up sample and map to keys (half rant/half enquiry)
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Head

fastest way to chop up sample and map to keys (half rant/half enquiry)

just curious what method do you guys use to chop up your samples and re-arrange/trigger via sampler

personally, the fastest way i have so far found to do this is to just throw the whole wav into kontakt loop editer and then splice new parts and create new zones with the splices

this works, however the process drives me mad because kontakts stupid beat slicer thing will only allow you to manually add points (what i want to do) after you have run the auto detect thing (which subsequently detects like one hundred splices) which i then have to manually click and delete (painful) before i am left with the original slices between my sample start and sample end that i want to map

this might take like only a minute or two but the thing is alot of my melodies are from chopped up samples and this gets very tedious after a while.

ive asked in the kontakt forum but havnt got a response yet so that cant be a good sign, does anyone know a faster way, like a beat slicer that i can literally just manually add splice range, map to keys etc.. no lame auto slicer thing then it would be preciated, btw ive tried recycle and cubase slicer. thankx thankx thankx
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Addict

Why not try it manually? cut, copy, and paste. its simple if you can see your waveforms.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Recycle.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
Recycle.
Does it exist for OSX? And if not....WHY!?!?!?!?!
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Your next Mac will have an Intel chip so you'll be able to have XP and OSX running natively instead of trying to emulate. Won't that be nice?

Recycle.

Lawrence
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop
Does it exist for OSX? And if not....WHY!?!?!?!?!
Yes.

http://www.propellerheads.se/product...on=displaymain
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
Ha...i was using my old OS9 version last year and gave up waiting...i never noticed a new version came out. That's awesome!

This forum is making my life easier
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Another vote for Recycle. An invaluable tool.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Intakt by native instruments is cool and has a built in recycle function..
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Head

guess ill give recycle another try, although first time i didnt really like it, isnt that mostly geared towards getting drums out of loops etc

. my samples have nothing do to with drums , i just want to take parts out of songs and rearrange . also, can i incorporate recycle into kontakt, thats the only sampler i know my way around well
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungar
guess ill give recycle another try, although first time i didnt really like it, isnt that mostly geared towards getting drums out of loops etc

. my samples have nothing do to with drums , i just want to take parts out of songs and rearrange . also, can i incorporate recycle into kontakt, thats the only sampler i know my way around well
You should check out intakt it´s very similar to kontakt.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik
You should check out intakt it´s very similar to kontakt.
Yeah, that's why he wants to avoid it. read above.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop
Yeah, that's why he wants to avoid it. read above.
I´ve read it and I don´t get you? Kontakt lets you slice if you manually define the points, Intakt (that is also made by native instruments) has an automatic slicefunktion.

It´s very similar so it should be perfect then, have I missed someting?

Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik
I´ve read it and I don´t get you? Kontakt lets you slice if you manually define the points, Intakt (that is also made by native instruments) has an automatic slicefunktion.

It´s very similar so it should be perfect then, have I missed someting?

From my understanding, he doesn't want to use the automatic mode which (because his music is made up of lots of different samples) is making way too many slice points. Then he has to go and de-select all of these extra points and then add the correct ones.

I think his complaint is you have to start out with the automatic mode, and then you can only edit afterwards...which, after a while, adds up to a lot of wasted time (for this user). For others this could be great.
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Head

yeah, thats it in a nutshell, it gives you manual control, but stranglely only after the automatic detection has done its thing, then im zooming in like a fool trying to delete splices stuff and yeah this is definetely time waster.

however, i played with recycle a bit today (still gotta read manual to know what im doing properly) and if i load a manually sliced rx2 in kontakt it seems to pick up the defined slices from the loop, then i can just map these to new keys. so this is a bit faster of a solution. if nobody else has a solution im semi happy with this method
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Addict

It's been a while since I used Recycle but I stopped because I couldn't get proper, raw, uncompressed exports on the samples. That was a while back and the format was "non-lossy" they called it.

No matter, BeatQuantizer works much better anyways for me now. Totally uncompressed and the detection engine for the slicing is really intelligent. You can export slices or quantize in the program.

Audio to MIDI parts too. Groove Templates. Cool stuff.

PC only though, sorry Mac mates.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

I just throw a bunch of copies in MachFive or the NNXT and adjust the start times for each.

Question: wiith ReCycle, if I wanted to assign one MIDI key to play, say, four slices worth of sound--could I do that? How about with an ADSR profile (say a gradual decay)? I only spent a little time with ReCycle a while ago, but it seemed like some of the ways I chop loops wouldn't work with it, but wondering if I just didn't explore it enough.

Peece,
T. Tauri
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Recycle is a great tool for working with sliced hits/loops and stuff....I love the way I can zoom in and set my start points and then shunt all the hits into logic EX24.
But in the old days on Akai's..playing the sounds low down on a keyboard and doing it by ear was cool too..it really is all in what you prefer..some producers prefer to use the ears and not lean on the screen at all and others wont like to spend too much time in programs like recycle for everything.
But the art is to find a way you feel confident in.
Recycle works for me but some of the settings need tweaking before export.
Mapping is automatic but simple to switch around later.
Phatmatic pro is great too..but for loops.
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface
Another vote for Recycle. An invaluable tool.
Yup....Recycle...fo' real....!!!
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilcofan
It's been a while since I used Recycle but I stopped because I couldn't get proper, raw, uncompressed exports on the samples. That was a while back and the format was "non-lossy" they called it.

No matter, BeatQuantizer works much better anyways for me now. Totally uncompressed and the detection engine for the slicing is really intelligent. You can export slices or quantize in the program.

Audio to MIDI parts too. Groove Templates. Cool stuff.

PC only though, sorry Mac mates.
Recycle can do a couple different formats. The way I work personally is that I chop things up with Recycle and output them as .wav(That way instead of having a rex file which is like an audio file+cue wrapped together I have the slices each by themselves). Then I take the pieces I wanna use and throw them in Konakt and set to "One Shot" or whatever I need. It's quick as hell and Recycle has by far the best slicing algorithims, Intakt and Kontakt always have tons of pops and clicks and you gotta move all the slice points almost every time.

The way to get Recycle to do this is unclick "Export as single wav" or something like that in the options(Only one page of options so shouldn't be hard to find). Then when you have something sliced up you just select "Export" instead of save as, select Wav in the dropdown and the quality you want then a name. It will export things like this, if you put "AmenBreak" as the name it will spit out "AmenBreak1, AmenBreak2" etc. Very useful and allows you get rid of pieces you don't need so that you can actually build a library of hits incredibly easily.
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I usually just chop sections up manually on my ASR-X, I love being able to do it by hand, it's fairly quick, precise and I get exactly the cuts that I want. All this talk about Recycle definatley has me thinking though......
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ijustmake-Beats
I usually just chop sections up manually on my ASR-X, I love being able to do it by hand, it's fairly quick, precise and I get exactly the cuts that I want. All this talk about Recycle definatley has me thinking though......
Whatever works for you personally is best. I know lots of people use the ASR and have for a long time. Recycle is worth checking out though.

My only real problem with it is that it can't do any destructive editing(Along with most soft samplers). Personally if I had one program that could do destructive editing like Soundforge, be a sampler, has built in beat-slicing... That would certainly help me out. I basically have to do all the sample editing before I start writing a piece of music because stopping during it and editing some samples then going back takes forever.
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamatic
the slicer generator in flstudio is about the quickest i've found. there's also no need to preslice the file in recycle or whatever like in reason, you can fiddle with the slices and do pretty much whatever in the main window for it.(add/delete slices, change the thresholds for the auto slicing, do time compression/expansion and so forth.) as long as your not trying to slice a 32 bar loop with weird timing it works great.
Exactly...

I've been using FL Slicer and Phatmatik Pro. Both work really well. Phatmatik is cool in FL as well, because you can drag samples from it into a FL sampler channel if you need to freak it extra.
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Nut

for me its recycle into EXS24, so fast and easy

remember to zoom right in in recycle and adjust the start points, often the auto slicer doesnt get the cuts exactly right. also turn off the effects. i use it all the time for all sorts of things, not just drums.
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

I am giving my props to recycle as well. It Just works great!
Old 10th August 2005

chop it in PT and export regions
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid
chop it in PT and export regions

That's what I do. If you want the hands on approach without the recommended auto-slicing / extra slices, It's really quite painless to just do it by hand, name the region, and export it.

Has anyone tried using PT's Beat Detective for chopping samples? I just upgraded to PT 7 so I now have the Beat Detective i've heard so much about (I was on PT 6.1 before) I'm anxious to try that out. Anyone have any Beat Detective tips they'd like to share?
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Another vote for Recycle
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Head

recycle
Old 1st June 2006
Dor
Lives for gear

phatmatik pro ownz recycle for chopping and mapping samples.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search