The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fxpansion GURU, is it the virtual MPC? Nukk/Tony B/ n Ecue dont sleep on this
Old 5th August 2005
no ssl yet 
Fxpansion GURU, is it the virtual MPC? Nukk/Tony B/ n Ecue dont sleep on this

Man I know this could go in the other forum, but I think urban music cats NEED to try this. I've been waiting for a way to get a virtual MPC type thing going on. I was thinking Battery, but I think this thing is alot cooler. (NOW IF ONLY FXpansion would give it a "16 tunings function".

Man this thing on a laptop along with Sampletank and Mach 5 could very well be the future of music production. I've only toyed with the demo a bit, but THIS THING IS THE **** so far.

http://www.fxpansion.com/product-guru-main.php
Old 5th August 2005
TRW
Lives for gear

Yeah!

Thats what I've been thinking - the videos are great really shows its flexibility...and a demo now too. Sweet.

I really like the pad layers and the oscillators that add to them.

Whats a 16 tunings function on an MPC?

I'm think about getting Guru and adding this:

Should make for a nice groove making experience.

Tom
Old 5th August 2005
no ssl yet 
16 tunings

Correction on my earlier post. GURU does have a "16 tunings type function" Its where a sound can be assigned to pads chromatically by pitch
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

I only miss the ability to sample, in the software.
Old 5th August 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet
Man I know this could go in the other forum, but I think urban music cats NEED to try this. I've been waiting for a way to get a virtual MPC type thing going on. I was thinking Battery, but I think this thing is alot cooler. (NOW IF ONLY FXpansion would give it a "16 tunings function".

Man this thing on a laptop along with Sampletank and Mach 5 could very well be the future of music production. I've only toyed with the demo a bit, but THIS THING IS THE **** so far.

http://www.fxpansion.com/product-guru-main.php
no ssl yet,

How does the feel and groove of this thing compare to your MPC 2000XL ? Have you done comparisons between Guru and your MPC for MIDI feel/timing ?

I've been thinking of dumping my 2000XL for soft samplers due to their ease of use, but have yet to do comparison tests involving feel/timing.

GURU certainly looks to be the **** though.

Have you looked into Kontakt 2 ? The sounds that thing comes with are alone worth its price tag.

-sunrck
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

When I first saw guru I thought it was a toy, but I've been using GURU pretty much now and have to say this thing is the best thing to come along in software (or hardware) for me in a loong time!
I think the video demos' on the website kinda suck though and aren't doing it justice at all.

This thing just inspires me to make music!
Combine this with your sequencer of choice and you become invinsible! heh

seriously though, I haven't been this excited by gear in long time!
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

i might check it out.. i'm not giving up the mv8000 for sh!t...we own a mpc4000 but care less about using it again or not... i use it every blue moon.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Damn, everytime I think i'm "satisfied" with the software I have something new comes out...
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Sweet, a virtual mpc!
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Looks cool. Thanks for the heads up. Can't see myself giving up my MPC but hell....crazier things have happened.

Old 5th August 2005
Gear Maniac

isn´t´one of the mpc´s biggest advantage that it has fukken tight sequencer?

i believe an external pad, like the MPD 16 and a computer won´t give the same results.

it´s for sure nice to make grooves with it.
Old 6th August 2005
no ssl yet 
OK

I've gotten to know this program more, and sorry to say "It's no MPC" It's sequencer is very basic. It does look like something I'll be buying, I just gotta figure it into my routine and see what role it can fill. Hell for $250 just coming close is cool. I"m still trying to go all laptop and no gear for when I travel. THis may be the tool that gets me there along with sampletank2 and others

I gotta try that MV8000 also
Old 6th August 2005
THE most important thing in grooves beats IMO
is timing
also the sound has to be good, but timing ITB is just not the same as a good hardware unit.
I tried all of em, only some machines have THAT feeling
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear
I have that exact setup. MPD into GURU

I don't use GURU for drums as much though...I use it for chopping samples. It is AWESOME for this task. You can do so much with the samples when it comes to precision chopping. I still use Batttery 2 for my drums. I just like how battery works, and it's a multitimbral vst, which I like.

I may get more into sequencing w/ Guru when I get that down..I spent so much time on the sampler, that I havent gotten great at the the sequencer yet.
Old 6th August 2005
I'm using the FXpansion DR8, which is like an MPC 2000xl plug-in within Pro Tools, I don't see any groove problems.

For an example of a beat I did with the DR8 go here:

http://bethanywright.com/

And it will start playing instantly. BTW, I'm not responsible for those vocals. I can't control what happens to a beat once I sell it... Yet.
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul David
I'm using the FXpansion DR8, which is like an MPC 2000xl plug-in within Pro Tools, I don't see any groove problems.

For an example of a beat I did with the DR8 go here:

http://bethanywright.com/

And it will start playing instantly. BTW, I'm not responsible for those vocals. I can't control what happens to a beat once I sell it... Yet.
heh heh heh the music is nice Paul. She's nice.. and sexy too. I'll have to try it out.
Old 8th August 2005
I think it might be extinct now. I want to try Guru though, seems like it might be the perfect replacement for my dr8.
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Maniac

PD

LOVE THAT MR. DAVID thumbsup .
The drums sound nice and snappy, and the layers of keys and gtr very cool!

She ain't all that bad lookin' either
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Latency has been the biggest issue with these types thus far....

Any reports on this? How's it feel VS the MPC?

Everyone I know gaveup early on.
Old 9th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsay
LOVE THAT MR. DAVID thumbsup .
The drums sound nice and snappy, and the layers of keys and gtr very cool!

She ain't all that bad lookin' either
Thanks bro! Flattery will get you everywhere. PM me and I'll send you some sounds.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

FPC. Fruity Loops MPC device. Guru looks much better though.
Old 9th August 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cue
Latency has been the biggest issue with these types thus far....

Any reports on this? How's it feel VS the MPC?

Everyone I know gaveup early on.
Are you talking about latency during the tracking phase ?

or do you mean latency during playback ?

if it's the first, isn't much of the midi quantized anyways ? so any small latency felt during the tracking phase should be corrected for during playback, right ?

just some questions.

-sunrck
Old 9th August 2005
i tried guru but i can use battery for everything it does.. except slicing loops but i dont really do a lot of that anyway. looks like a solid program still

paul i like the track... very good man. she sounds hot on the chorus but verse could be stronger i think. i keep staring at the photo!
Old 10th August 2005
no ssl yet 
Guru vs Battery

So Guru Vs Battery. WHich one would be best for someone coming from an MPC? I kinda like having a pattern sequencer in Guru. IS one included in Battery? IF so I didnt know about it. I think I'm gonna try sequencing in my MPC and getting the sounds from guru so I guess Battery would match up if my MPC is still in the loop. If the latency doesnt kill me, I'd like to work one of these into my arsenal.

Can someone who has both of these and an MPC 4k (who is using it with the USB to a mac) chime in as to which is best between

MPC 4k
MPC 2k and battery
MPC 2k and Guru
GURU and no MPC
Old 10th August 2005
Here for the gear

Donoho Meadors Drum

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Donoho Meadors Drum maker???
(Donoho Drum Company) I can't find a phone number, addy, or current email.
The last known addy was Murphyboro, TN.
Old 10th August 2005

Quote:
So Guru Vs Battery. WHich one would be best for someone coming from an MPC? I kinda like having a pattern sequencer in Guru. IS one included in Battery? IF so I didnt know about it. I think I'm gonna try sequencing in my MPC and getting the sounds from guru so I guess Battery would match up if my MPC is still in the loop. If the latency doesnt kill me, I'd like to work one of these into my arsenal.

Can someone who has both of these and an MPC 4k (who is using it with the USB to a mac) chime in as to which is best between

MPC 4k
MPC 2k and battery
MPC 2k and Guru
GURU and no MPC
No MPC2k or 4k here, but I will say Battery is hot! Take a serious look at that before you pick up anything. I been using it with Cubase and 002 rack here and I'm really happy! Sometimes I'll have like 3 or 4 instances of it running in the same session, each one loaded with 60 drum samples. I'll have like 200-250 different kicks and snares at my fingertips..
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I kinda like having a pattern sequencer in Guru. IS one included in Battery?
Nope

ruudman
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrck
Are you talking about latency during the tracking phase ?

or do you mean latency during playback ?
I was refering to when you are on input (while programing a beat). Lack of latency on playback should be a given, isn't it? I'm specifically refering to a direct comparasion to the MPC series. I know several producers than request specific MPC machines because they like their feel the best.

Quote:
if it's the first, isn't much of the midi quantized anyways ?
Doesn't matter to me. It's rare that my clients quantize EVERYTHING these days, but to me there's no real sense in taking steps backward if the software/keyboardware has limitations the MPC doesn't have. We are talking about a machine that was created eons ago in the computer timeline.

Quote:
so any small latency felt during the tracking phase should be corrected for during playback, right ?

just some questions.

-sunrck
I'm curious too- the reason I was asking. I guess the bigger question(s) for me is- how much latency and where does it occur. Anyone with experence on both, please chime in.
Old 10th August 2005
no ssl yet 
TEST

Cue I will test the latency when I get a chance (Just got my 703/GOM and I'm also painting the studio so everything is torn down)

What I LOVE about this is the ability to create a drum (loop/pattern based track) while ptools is playing a say vocal track

THis thing is like I always envisioned, having a drum machine synced to protools for REMIXES!!!. Except it doesnt freak out on start stops (LIKE EVERY MPC I EVER USED )

I always thought Digi/Protools should have implemented a way to make some tracks loop while having other tracks play linear info
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Head

I think you guys slept on Linplug RMIV, you should hook this up with mpc's sequencer.

Features;
18 velocity sensitive pads
8 assignable outputs
groupcutting
pristine engine (lots of sonic richness here)
bitcrusher/distortion, compressor, Varizer (style, exactness and spectrum parameters) for each pad.
Fast envelopes for pitch, amp and filter.
10 drum algorithms (kinda based on 808/909) and loads samples of course.

www.linplug.com

This mpc emulating stuff is bs anyway, you can emulate its features which is exactly what a synth does in terms of (formant) modeling but with a very basic approach, so all them s/w oems are just riding the mpc's fame. You cant emulate the sequencer which makes the mpc appealing, so why not hook up a playback/editing engine on it since there is no alternative.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search