The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Fxpansion GURU, is it the virtual MPC? Nukk/Tony B/ n Ecue dont sleep on this
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear
one thing that i am not getting is multiimbral in Guru. I don't think you can have each pad (drum hit) set to a seperate channel. It seems that it just sends each engine to a different channel. This doesn't really help if you are just trying to mix seperate drum hits. That is one part about Battery that I really like. Is there a way to do this in tracktion that I am missing? Right now I just see 8 stereo outs that represent each engine in GURU.
Old 17th August 2005
Gear Addict

Yes, you can.. each pad has an "output" option in the Pad Edit screen where you can route it to any one of the eight outs.
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear
oh hell yeah...thank you!
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

are there any plans to make the length of each sequence longer? They all seem to be 2 measures. While trying the demo, I have to use 4 different sequences to make an 8 measure drum loop. I hope i'm asking this right??

also with the samples.........I hope its just the sounds that was included with the demo, but they dont sound as warm/clean(phat) as my other drum sounds. The sound like thin samples drums, kinda like the original Sampletank, ok, but not "The shizznit). My Motif ES drum sound blow it away. I have to play around with it a bit more when i have time, pretty sure I can "mix" them phatter, but it would be nice to start with good sounds. But Guru seems to be on the right road. It was pretty easy to get started.
Old 18th August 2005
Gear Addict

Hi nukmusic,

Each sequece can have up to four pages (i.e. eight measures) -- there are controls at the bottom-center-right of the main blue screen for setting the number of pages and the current page.

About the samples.. the provided samples are a mixed bag, but on average they'll be less polished and treated than what you might find on a Motif (or indeed in Stylus-RMX).. they come up pretty good with a bit of mixing - either using the onboard-fx or whatever else you have available.

Cheers,
Angus.
Old 18th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus_FX
It's true that the DR-008 v1.x won't be updated further, but it will be replaced (by Drum Nine, which is effectively DR-008 v2), and it is still eligible for tech support (and will remain so for the forseeable future).

Cheers,
Angus.
Alright, So there are a couple things I need to know before switching to PTLE 6.4 (PC). For instance, What Version of the DR8 should I use and what are the known bugs. Would you please email me at [email protected] so that I don't screw up this thread with my personal issues. Thanks, Paul
Old 18th August 2005
no ssl yet 
Angus

The software sounds pretty good (though I havent tested it in a studio environment yet.)
The best test is to import sounds from a CD into say ptools then edit/export as individual files. Place the sounds in Guru, then turn the Engine volume all the way up to 0db. (It defaults to -6db though I wish there was a preference to change it)
The software should sound almost identical to the CD (NUK U know u have to use your own sounds. included sample sets NEVER sound great in any program)

Angus I was speaking of a simple quantize as you interpreted (just like Akai MPC drumachines or the input quantize in ptools).

You were also correct in regards to the "sync between patterns"

I'd like to have every engine change to say pattern 1, when I change a single engine)

Could you PLEASE put in the Erase and NOte repeat functions (if its not too much trouble)

Also, I'm loving the ability to do different Groove Quantizes between engines. The only flaw is that there needs to be a window with a numeric quantity noting the degree of groove quantize applied. If I accidently move the groove quantize settings, its difficult to set them back precisely.

Man fix these things and I'm in along with at least 10 people I could turn on to the software
Old 18th August 2005
no ssl yet 
Group Buy

Hey Angus How about setting up a group buy discount
Old 18th August 2005
Gear Addict

All those things are now on the wish list. The lead dev is back from his well-earned vacation next week, will see how much of this we can shoe-horn in to v1.1.

The Groove knob is kinda out of place anyway -- I guess we'll extend the engine info window and put the groove selection and amount-control (with numeric readout) inside the extended info window.
Old 18th August 2005
Gear Addict

Regarding group buys -- sorry, no can do.. distribution contracts prevent it
Old 19th August 2005
Lives for gear

Just like to add my endorsement of GURU. Its changed the way I work.
Im doing pretty much all my sketches in GURU with a Trigger Finger now, and whilst I still jam on the MPC, its being used less and less (basically when I dont wanna turn the computer on )

Theyve really thought very well about workflow, and best of all, listen very closely to user feedback and quickly manage to incorporate into the product.

Cheers FXP
Old 19th August 2005
no ssl yet 
Beta

I'll gladly beta test the new one if you'd like Angus! Man I have PLENTY of ideas for what needs to be in a drum machine. If you really wanna make something special, go review the Roland R8. Its feel templates are unique to any machine. I'd like to see some of the editing properties of ptools, and how things can be moved at the sample level being implemented into a drum machine. How about a layer zoom where you can see different waveforms in a drum layer to make sure the start times are properly alligned.

I think you have a reall good thing in the making with Guru, the extent of the feature set depends on if you are trying to make just a quick way to get people grooving or a full featured drum software.

Please dont take away the seperate groove quantizes per engine!!!!
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
How about a layer zoom where you can see different waveforms in a drum layer to make sure the start times are properly alligned.
Should be possible already -- hold down ALT when dragging on the zoom controls, it should adjust the zoom level for all layers in the current pad.

Quote:
Please dont take away the seperate groove quantizes per engine!!!!
No plans to take that away, it rocks! sorry if I gave that impression...

Cheers,
Angus.
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Addict

Angus,

Why is there no demo download of the BFD software. I made the mistake of buying software in the past that doesnt allow a downloadable demo and wont do it again. I cant tell if I will like a product by an audio example. I need to try stuff out for a few weeks to see if I can get the product to gel with my production style.

I have downloaded the demo of Guru and look forwward to trying it out.
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Addict

Hi Chris,

There's no online demo of BFD because what really makes BFD "what it is" is the 9GB of included content. There's a very much cut-down (sounds-wise) BFD demo on the front cover of the current issue of Computer Music (UK) magazine -- I believe Barnes & Noble carry it in the US. Even the cut-down demo is about 700MB, rather too big for a download.

Best regards,
Angus.
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus_FX
Hi Chris,

There's no online demo of BFD because what really makes BFD "what it is" is the 9GB of included content. There's a very much cut-down (sounds-wise) BFD demo on the front cover of the current issue of Computer Music (UK) magazine -- I believe Barnes & Noble carry it in the US. Even the cut-down demo is about 700MB, rather too big for a download.

Best regards,
Angus.

Hi Angus,

That makes sense. I suspected it was something like that. Im sure I would like the BFD I need something for acoustic sounding drums (occasionally)

Thanks for the info
Old 23rd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul David
I'm using the FXpansion DR8, which is like an MPC 2000xl plug-in within Pro Tools, I don't see any groove problems.

For an example of a beat I did with the DR8 go here:

http://bethanywright.com/

And it will start playing instantly. BTW, I'm not responsible for those vocals. I can't control what happens to a beat once I sell it... Yet.
Paul,

Hot track playa. I like it alot. Help me out with something if you be so kind. I been trying to figure out kind of instrument that is that your using in the verse of the track. Sorta sounds like a rhoads but its not. Sounds like something with pitch bend on it. I here it in R&B all the time. What is it?

Thanks!
Old 23rd August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisma
Paul,

Hot track playa. I like it alot. Help me out with something if you be so kind. I been trying to figure out kind of instrument that is that your using in the verse of the track. Sorta sounds like a rhoads but its not. Sounds like something with pitch bend on it. I here it in R&B all the time. What is it?

Thanks!
Thanks a lot. All of the keyboard sounds are from the Motif es rack. That's one of the EP's (maybe R&B ep, or 70's EP) with a ghostshift- Hold the pitch wheel down hit the chord and release the pitch to center.

I'm a sucker for EP's!!! If you go to the playroom and listen to the first four tracks on Bethany's album you'll see what I mean.

Peace, Paul
Old 23rd August 2005
Just to throw this out there. The DR-008 is the only soft sampler that I get out exactly what I put in. Everything else I tried makes my drums sound... Mmmm... Different. The Dr8 has been at the center of every beat I've made for the past couple years. Keep bangin FXPansion, I'm looking forward to the DR9!
Old 24th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul David
Thanks a lot. All of the keyboard sounds are from the Motif es rack. That's one of the EP's (maybe R&B ep, or 70's EP) with a ghostshift- Hold the pitch wheel down hit the chord and release the pitch to center.

I'm a sucker for EP's!!! If you go to the playroom and listen to the first four tracks on Bethany's album you'll see what I mean.

Peace, Paul
Good looking out man. Appreciate the info.
Old 24th August 2005
ILL
Gear Maniac

HELP !

I did a track(beat patterns and chops) in GURU but in standalone mode in the pattern sequencer and then i tried to record it in cubase so i can mix it but i can't seem to figure out how to do that, help please !
Old 24th August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs
Here are some handsome guys watching an ape play the BFD kit...

Maybe your contract leaves a loophole for GS modelling fees you can work into a groupbuy discount somehow heh

(Samples sounded awesome. Even with the ape playing)

Gustav
OI!!
Old 24th August 2005
Gear Addict

ILL -- drag the pattern from the pattern-select pad to a Cubase MIDI track. Realtime MIDI-out (record direct to Cubase) is coming in an update.
Old 23rd August 2006
Lives for gear

Angus, i realy appreciate the way you answer poeples questions, so i got another one for ya

On the demo clip, there are several groove humisation types and it sounds like they have different timing settings for the 4 pad-groups.
Now i have downloaded the demo, and there arent any grooves i cant load, are the grooves included in the package??? Or can i get download them somewhere else??? Is it possible to create your own groove templates???

greetz,,
Old 23rd August 2006
Gear Addict

There are 20 or so grooves included in the package (not with the demo though), and you can also create your own.. you can even 'rip' the groove/feel from other audio files or loops.. so if you have a loop of your favourite hip hop beat, you can import that in to GURU, rip the feel, and then apply it to another beat.

(To do so: right click on a pattern-pad, 'Create Groove from Shifts').
Old 23rd August 2006
Lives for gear

Sorry if im off topic, but just want to say thanks to Fxpansion for the great conversion tool, i just bought it last week and still checking out and sorting the plug ins and synths in pt, and i am abso*******luthly loving it my favorite so far is EMV Ultrasonique. The best investment i did in a while and cheap aswell, the only thing i still have to figure out is sorting them because the list is very long, so is there a way to ad custom folders in pt with my favorite synths and plugs? thanks
Old 23rd August 2006
Gear Addict

ProFool, you on Mac or PC there?
Old 23rd August 2006
Angus

Good to see you here pal.
Old 23rd August 2006
Lives for gear

Hi Angus, im on pc here, thanks
Old 23rd August 2006
Gear Addict

afaik, there's no way of customizing the list on PC at the moment. "TL Fauxlder" does (did?) the job on OS X.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search