The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
drum machine and programmers
Old 19th October 2005
Lives for gear

On the hardwareside its definetly the Elektron Machinedrum for me.
The amount of control that this thing gives you over every single step in a beat is insane.
16 LFOs that can modulate every single parameter turn every 2 bar pattern into an ever changing groove.
The retrigger function makes creating drills and buzzes a piece of cake.
Anything from classic TR beatbox sounds to the latest electronica and everything in between.
Fat and crispy!

On the softwareside i use nothing but Stylus RMX.
Its pretty much the equivalent to the machinedrum in terms of controlability.
Every hit or slice in a beat can have its own parametersettings and up to 3 insert effects.
And the sounds and loops that come with it are absolutely top notch.
Its almost too easy to create a greatsounding and unique beat with this.
Instant inspiration!

RU with me?
Dr.Wu
Old 21st October 2005
Lives for gear

Logic for me.

A little story... i setup a pc system for a guy a year or so back who has an MPC, and he's raving on about how it does things in terms of the groove etc that nothing else can touch, and how so & such producers use it

so i show him how to use the audio-to-midi quantise bit of logic. We start with some wacky Jayz beat (i think it was jayz, i asked him to choose a groove that was wacky in terms of the timing) and within 2 minutes i've got a new groove going using the exact timing of this jayz groove which he's so f*cked up trying to discover how to do those grooves and bought an mpc cos he was told he could only attempt to do this using an MPC & without an mpc he couldnt do it.

I think he was a bit gutted at how fast logic did it and also how i could apply the groove from any CD track he had to any original bassline and beat - heh heh

it's a VERY powerful part of Logic and rarely used cos no-one bothers to check it out. If you also utilise eq filters on the audio loop when you sample the quantise you can shave off top/bottom freq's to catch top/bottom end quantises. That way you can get the quantise off the bassline and kik and also get a top-end quantise off the hat/shaker/whatever groove etc.
Old 21st October 2005
Gear Maniac

reason redrum ,rewired to PT works like a charm for me, and occasionaly my yamaha Rm1x for the nasty stuff
Old 21st October 2005
Gear Nut

7161, check your PM's.

Thanks.
Old 22nd October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7161
Logic for me.

A little story... i setup a pc system for a guy a year or so back who has an MPC, and he's raving on about how it does things in terms of the groove etc that nothing else can touch, and how so & such producers use it

so i show him how to use the audio-to-midi quantise bit of logic. We start with some wacky Jayz beat (i think it was jayz, i asked him to choose a groove that was wacky in terms of the timing) and within 2 minutes i've got a new groove going using the exact timing of this jayz groove which he's so f*cked up trying to discover how to do those grooves and bought an mpc cos he was told he could only attempt to do this using an MPC & without an mpc he couldnt do it.

I think he was a bit gutted at how fast logic did it and also how i could apply the groove from any CD track he had to any original bassline and beat - heh heh

it's a VERY powerful part of Logic and rarely used cos no-one bothers to check it out. If you also utilise eq filters on the audio loop when you sample the quantise you can shave off top/bottom freq's to catch top/bottom end quantises. That way you can get the quantise off the bassline and kik and also get a top-end quantise off the hat/shaker/whatever groove etc.

This same story was in scratch magazine. I believe it was the guy who works with kanye, cant be sure. Same person or same story?
Old 22nd October 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-O
This same story was in scratch magazine. I believe it was the guy who works with kanye, cant be sure. Same person or same story?
Ken Lewis. Here's his site:
http://www.protoolsmixing.com/
Old 22nd October 2005
Here for the gear

MPC 4000 for me love it, had a 2k before but the hard drive on the 4k really did seal the deal for me.
Old 29th October 2005
Here for the gear

Yamaha RM1x.. I just love the sequencer.

For a variation in samples, sounds and quality I combine a Roland module, casio sk1 and akai sampler!

Works great, provides me all I need.
Old 29th October 2005
Lives for gear

Many hits and angry session drummers later
Old 29th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioez
Many hits and angry session drummers later
Ahh! memories. Seems just like yesterday.
First rememberance upon seeing this jpeg was of me asking my Dad for a loan to buy one.
Forat customizing. Ziff sockets. CV gate.
Never had the 3 screws in place as I was always under the hood changing eproms (sounds). I'm sure I have a boat load of data cassettes stashed away representing early to mid 80's work. One of the hot topics at that time was the "DMX vs Linn" debate. Sold mine somewhere in the mid/latter 80's when I purchased 2 Linn 9000s.
Old 29th October 2005
Gear Addict

MPC 2000XL, and the trusty ASR-10 (not really a drum machine but it has that timbo swing)
Old 31st October 2005
Lives for gear

Heres my 2 pence worth!

I have a 3000 and Exs24 with logic and the Exs gets used 99% of the time. The 3000 may have been fast in its day, and it is simple to use, but its pretty hard to integrate well with a daw setup in terms of moving files to and from the computer digitally(data files). If i could drag files from logic to the 3000 that would be great but i have to sample everything in as audio which is very time consuming.

Yeah the seq is tight but i can get logic to rock in the same way with very little effort. Also the 3000 is great for single hit hip hop drums but its sound is a little too lo fi for me these days, and its a pain working with loops in the 3000.Im really liking super clean drums coming from the sampler and then distorting them later on rather than being stuck with a more grimey sound in the first place.

I dont think i'd ever sell the mpc , but to get the best from it you really need to be very organised about building a large sample library first otherwise it gets quite frustrating as the sampling process i so slow compared with exs.
Old 31st October 2005
Gear Addict

Just wondering how many of you 'slutz have tried the demo of GURU ->
http://www.fxpansion.com/product-guru-main.php
<- as a beat-programming environment? Would be interested in any feedback or ideas for improvement you might have.

All the best,
Angus.
Old 1st November 2005
Here for the gear

Fav: Tr-707. Superfast to toggle any step. A great visual display of the pattern. Seperate outputs. Easy asscess to volume sliders.

2nd: Somehow the Oberheim DX with its phonepad interface was also a treat to work with. And the shuffle was funky.

Worst: RZ-1. No changing of patterns in real time. Argh.

2nd: Using Kontakt + Cubase, I feel like I lost something that comes from working with a hardware machine.

{ Others in the middle: QY-10, Pma-5, SR-16, MC-505 }

Special Mention:
ElectroComposer 5k Drum Machine -( Simple Retro Computing )
http://www.rz-1.com/electro/listbeats.cgi

Make a beat online in your web browser, and save it for others to hear.
------------------------------------------

Guru looks pretty cool. I will have to take an extended look at it. Thanx.

Never used an MPC.
Old 1st November 2005
Gear Addict

Logic Baby!!!!!! Too simple.
Old 1st November 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305
FWIW, i started off doing all my stuff in the box, and finally decided to go and buy an MPC to do the better part of my sequencing. I got the MPC1000, and also use the 60 and 3000, and i hooked my 5080 and TR Rack up to it. For me, the ease and speed of use with the MPC is a lot more conducive to my working than trying to build kits in the EXS24 within Logic and playing drums on a keyboard. And the timing and feel of the 60 and 3000 units are unmatched by anything, software or hardware (just my opinion). I just love the MPCs!!! Plus i would say 80-90% of hip hop records that i love were done with an MPC at some point, so you can't argue with the results.
I second this!
I rewired Reason and Abelton to SX. Logic is cool too and sometimes I use Fruity as a vsti. Great tracks can be produce quickly from Reason and Abelton, but the sounds from software wasn't that great like hardware at all to me. I ended-up with a drum map for the MPC so SX could trigger it. The reason why I stop using software was because many samples just didn't sound right to me in da box. So I always had to bus every channel to some kind external hareware devices such as EQs, compressors or even some U5s for color. Since I always hated plugins, I always had to bus out. Computers are noisy and I hated playing with the mouse; it just wasn't me. If I had to use a computer, I would just midi everything. So now I just midi the MPC to everything. The timing is very tight with a groove to die for. Get a Avalon 747 with a better compressor or a Slam for the stereo bus and you done. This is just me though because I'm sure that you guys have a better way.
Old 1st November 2005
ILL
Gear Maniac

I think that Battery and Live is probably the fastest and the nearest thing to the mpc ITB. I just love it!
Old 1st November 2005
Gear Nut

I know it's not a drum machine, but I use an ASR-10 for sequencing/triggering drums in my S-950.
Old 1st November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus_FX
Just wondering how many of you 'slutz have tried the demo of GURU ->
http://www.fxpansion.com/product-guru-main.php
<- as a beat-programming environment? Would be interested in any feedback or ideas for improvement you might have.
Well, my history is more with Ensoniqs and the rack-mounted Akais, so in software what I'm looking to replace is a little different... (also, I already mentioned these on your board at kvr)

But one thing I miss is having the sequencer record note-lengths--being able to have a sample play as long as I hold a note on my MIDI controller.

Also, a command to map a single sample chromatically to the pads would be cool.

Can you map things to multiple engines in a way that is playable via a controller keyboard without shifting from engine to engine? So, say, if I want to load up a monster percussion set with different samples spanning the whole keyboard, could I do that with GURU?

Also, I'd dig very basic destructive editing--trim sample start & end. A lot of times I sample a big chunk, play around and find what I want to use, and then I'm left with a lot of extraneous stuff that either takes up space or I have to go to a separate editing program to trim it down (so usually I don't bother). Though I guess that presents certain difficulties like if a sample is mapped to 2 pads or 2 different patches....

Peece,
T. Tauri
Old 1st November 2005
Lives for gear
pretty sure GURU is non destructive editing, so you would have to open something like Sforge to get it chopped. i just edit the wav in guru anyway. it's easy to find zero crossings and cut off anything before or after them.
Old 1st November 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttauri

Can you map things to multiple engines in a way that is playable via a controller keyboard without shifting from engine to engine? So, say, if I want to load up a monster percussion set with different samples spanning the whole keyboard, could I do that with GURU?
Though I guess that presents certain difficulties like if a sample is mapped to 2 pads or 2 different patches....

Peece,
T. Tauri
This was the beauty with SX and Logic. It comes with a drum map to assign everything to anything. It was the only thing that I like with a computer and you could import groove templates too. I have some MPC 3000 groove template if you guys want it.
Old 2nd November 2005
Gear Addict

for me

all house and rnb type of stuff i do with the mpc 60 mk ii. to me its unbeatable sonics and sequncer. just gives it a diff feel.

elektro type of stuff i do in log mostly.

best

markus
Old 2nd November 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
But one thing I miss is having the sequencer record note-lengths--being able to have a sample play as long as I hold a note on my MIDI controller.
Yep, noted -- it's on the wish list!

Quote:
Agreed.

Quote:
Not at present -- each engine responds to a range of notes on channels 1 thru 8 (for engines 1 thru 8). The plan in the next version is to map all the Pads on channel 10 (eight engines x 16 pads = 128 notes, the full range of MIDI) so that on ch10 you can have monster kits set up.

Quote:
Also, I'd dig very basic destructive editing--trim sample start & end. A lot of times I sample a big chunk, play around and find what I want to use, and then I'm left with a lot of extraneous stuff that either takes up space or I have to go to a separate editing program to trim it down (so usually I don't bother). Though I guess that presents certain difficulties like if a sample is mapped to 2 pads or 2 different patches....
We figure that as GURU doesn't _yet_ actually sample, destructive editing isn't _yet_ needed. True sampling, and basic editing to go with it, is a much requested feature.

Hope this helps,
Angus.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search