The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MiniMoog Voyager
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

MiniMoog Voyager

I haven't used one yet...i've only used a Moog Source and Rogue in the past...and this is certainly a different animal. Anyone loving it? For those who have one, do you think it was worth the $2500? What types of sounds are you using it for? How is that ribbon controller?
Old 3rd August 2005

I've used it.... It's nice! Great bass sounds if you like to tweak.
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Heh i couldn't afford that one, but Arturia's moog sounds great to me!
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

it's great
i want another.....

- jack
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Addict

It's sweet for both bass and leads (well duh, it's monophonic), but I really like it for it's bass. For solid, thick, powerful bass that cuts through the mix, I think it's one of the best there is.

However, I had a chance to get a SE-1x for $750 and I haven't looked back since. Every now and then the little voice inside my head tells me to sell the SE-1x and get the minimoog RME, but I'm not sure it would really be worth it. Thing is, the times I have heard a minimoog bass I think to myself that's a sound I want in my arsenal, but I feel the same when I hear the SE-1x. I haven't been able to compare a SE-1x and minimoog side-by-side yet, so I'm not exactly sure how much better (or if) the minimoog is . . . I think I'm just gonna have to buy a mini in order to put that question to rest (then sell the loser). heh

When I think of my most beloved bass makers (solid deep bass), the top 3 (in no particular order) are:
Minimoog
SE-1x
Omega8
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

The Voyager is a great synth and stands equal to the source and original minimoog in terms of bass and lead power and clarity. Where it differs is that it is smoother (less rawkus) stays in tune and is slightly smaller sounding than its older siblings which means it retains the sonic weight but fits in a mix much better imho. Couple that with the comprehensive midi control and the fun and twisted ideas that come from experimenting with the ribbon pad plus stereo outs lopass/hipass filters and patch storage and i dont really think any other monosynth can beat it on features/performance/sound quality. Se1x sounds authentic to the original mini but lacks a a lot of features (no filter input either) and of course the pad controller and keyboard!

thumbsup
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

a little off topic, but have any of you tried a waldorf pulse for bass?

I tracked one for a project once and it was nasty..
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Love my Voyager, everyone pretty much covered it. Bass and leads are killer.

Ryan, I have an SE-1 also (The original) and I would never get rid of it either!!!

I tried to get the original Mini model D sound by plugging a dummy instrument cable into the left out put of the Voyager and going in to the edit page and switching the filter to -12db setting (I believe it's -12) it does come close but I'm still working on it! I've had to model D's over my life time. I miss their sound but the Voyager is way more stable!!!

My top 3 bass makers

SE1
Voyager
Oberheim matrix 12
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

so you guys don't find it redundant to have both se1x and voyager?
i'm kinda in this dilemma right now, i've got the studio electronics unit and loving it.
seriously considering the voyager rack.
Old 23rd August 2005

Bob Moog passed away yesterday... R.I.P.

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/ar..._id=1001018893
Old 5th September 2005
Gear Addict

i know im late to the game, but i recently had the chance of using one for a month on a series of sessions and as soon as that Ski Mask Way royalty check shows up it's one of the first things im getting.
Old 5th September 2005
Gear Maniac

I own both a minimoog voyager and a Se-1x and i dont think they make each other redundant at all. The Se-1X is better for bass i think but the moog has great bass and leads/effects aswell. I own the whole studio electronics line and im really diggin the ATC-X. It has some crazy out of the box presets.

I think its worth the money to buy a used one.
Old 8th September 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kataztraphy
I own both a minimoog voyager and a Se-1x and i dont think they make each other redundant at all. The Se-1X is better for bass i think but the moog has great bass and leads/effects aswell. I own the whole studio electronics line and im really diggin the ATC-X. It has some crazy out of the box presets.

I think its worth the money to buy a used one.

must....get.....se1x.....DAMMIT!

Anyone know of somebody willing to part with theirs for a reasonable amount of $$?
Old 8th September 2005
Gear Guru

oh, the minimoog is hot as well. A lot of really useable sounds...everyone else summed it up...definitely worth the money!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search