The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Cast your vote to make this forum permanent!
View Poll Results: Should this Hip-Hop forum be made permanent?
Yes...make it permanent!
172 Votes - 65.90%
No...it's a waste of space
32 Votes - 12.26%
Don't really care one way or the other.
16 Votes - 6.13%
Be a shame to "devide the talent"/ dilute the mix - one engineer nation under a groove!
41 Votes - 15.71%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24th August 2005
Lives for gear

"VOTE OR DIE!"
Old 24th August 2005
Lives for gear

Make it permenant baby!! I'm new, but this is some great stuff to come into!!
Old 26th August 2005
Gear Nut

How about "production and recording techniques for modern sequencer based music", be it hip hop, house, drum and bass, techno, electronica or whatever...

That would pretty much nail it in my opinion. sorry if someone already said exactly the same thing in the thread.

peace /Arka
Old 28th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arka
How about "production and recording techniques for modern sequencer based music", be it hip hop, house, drum and bass, techno, electronica or whatever...

That would pretty much nail it in my opinion. sorry if someone already said exactly the same thing in the thread.
Old 28th August 2005
Lives for gear

Not to be a hater, but why doesn't somebody start their own Hip Hop Production forum, apart from Gearslutz? Isn't this going to get diluted if you broaden it to include electronica and all that?

If you really want a forum that specific, I say start it somewhere else. But if you do broaden the title/topics and it remains successful without a bunch of totally irrelevant posts, then I guess it should stay. I don't know? Is Gearslutz a democracy?

Can I have a Jazz forum Jules? Reggae would be nice too.

"I keed, I keed."
Old 29th August 2005
Lives for gear

i am a hiphop producer myself, but i voted NOT to make it permanent. i have some reasons for it, one is: the sound of hiphop today doesnt inspire me. its the rockthing what is more interesting to me...all the known hiphop guys here i like alot and i appreciating their input, but i worry about GS when the masses of the kids will find out and ffuucckk up this forum like they ffuucckk up EVERY forum ...maybe i am paranoid, but i saw to much of this ****...
Old 29th August 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine
<<I've always felt that Gearslutz was too rock orientated. I do rock, and I love rock, but to ME there seems to be this unstated underlaying rock bias that permeates the place. This forum helps to balance things out>>

I agree.
co sign
Old 29th August 2005
Jules was here...
Old 29th August 2005
Lives for gear

The slang spelling on this forum is killing me!

I hope nobody is teaching their children to spell like this. Seriously.
Old 29th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn
The slang spelling on this forum is killing me!

I hope nobody is teaching their children to spell like this. Seriously.
dam sun wat is diz da s.a.t.s? i already got like a 1450 on dem shietz.

diz is about da muzik n nuthin else.
Old 30th August 2005
Lives for gear

That's fine. I think it looks rather silly, but I'm not judging anyone. I wonder what people visiting Gearslutz for the first time will think if they go to this forum first?

They might say, "Look dear, I found a forum for people who can spell properly but choose not to".

Oh well, the month is almost over anyway.
Old 30th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's fine. I think it looks rather silly, but I'm not judging anyone. I wonder what people visiting Gearslutz for the first time will think if they go to this forum first?

They might say, "Look dear, I found a forum for people who can spell properly but choose not to".

Oh well, the month is almost over anyway.
If they came to this forum first, it's probably because they can relate....or like some, they're just looking to hate. Kick rocks...
Old 30th August 2005
Lives for gear

I can't play guitar and have never had my own live room..so beats and sequencing..keys and sampling ...vocal production and mixing is my thing..this place seems a little more firmly on this tip for me...not to mention the general discussions on gear!

Jdunn...music transends these disciminatory bounds you frequent in terms of spelling and education...
**** or get off the pot ..as they say!

But prhaps not call it rap + hip hop forum??

call it....' beats and pieces' or ''- RAP/HOP/TRIP/AND SAMPLE + HIP THINGS -''

I HAVE LOST THE PLOT...AAAAHHhhhh

i need tea..!! obviously....
Old 30th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Make it permanent

I guess this the closest we can get to a soul/funk/jazz thread in today's corporate music climate...

All props to the hip-hoppers....but just try to be a little more positive in your lyrical content. PLEASE.

(I know I sound like someone's dad, but...I am).
Old 1st September 2005
Here for the gear

I've been silently watching and learning from the more experienced producers/musicians/ fellow gearslutz on this site, and I've learned a great deal over a short period of time. IMO this site is a great and extremely helpful resource for all genres. Now that i've stated the obvious, let me say this; I am a Hip-Hop producer with a background in classical music, sometimes when I try other forums, i'll ask questions: on compression, or vocal delay settings, which mic's capture rap lyrics better than others etc... Questions pertaining to Hip-Hop and as many of you might guess I often get less than desirable responses. There still remains much animosity on some other sites toward Hip-Hop production (i.e. there is no real talent, why am i wasting my talents on rap, rap is just a gimmik/joke/commercial scheme). Regardless of whether this is the case, this is the music that i'm feeling. And for all functional purposes this forum allows me to cut through scouring 2 hours of production tips for rock setups and get to the heart of what i'm looking for. There is no substitute for discussing Hip-Hop w/ SERIOUS and credited Hip-Hop Producers. This would be an invaluable resource. I know i've been rambling a bit, but one more thing. Those attracted thus far to this forum have had serious input on said topics, allowing for added depth and diversity to the topics. They have not been here simply degrading the quality of this site imho.
Old 1st September 2005
Lives for gear

Elephantman,

glad to see you on the boards. Hopefully this will still be around. I think it's definatly been a great month and hopefully has at least established the fact that something catering towards the "electronic" driven music, should be permanently in place. This is of course just my opinion and I'm sure those who have the say so, will do what's best for all.
Old 1st September 2005
I'm another newbie, I only saw this forum by mistake about 10 days ago. I couldn't believe it there was actually a forum where some actually answers questions like, what's a good mic or comp settings for Rap vox's and so on with inteligence.

I have been addicted ever since...I think it should remain Hip Hop and R&B specific (and if anyone want's to adapt the ideas to other electronica ..then fine)

The reason being is that I do not know of a another genre which basically takes all the rules throws them out and creates it's own...only for the next producer to come along and do the same all over again..thus keeping the actual sound of the music moving and deleloping. Most other genre's hark back to the past...or the one's that do inovate new styles ...get a lot of direction from Hip Hop.

Now like you guys say there needs to be a way to keep it inteligent, and about gear and techniches..but also alow us to show what those techniches sound like. So not beat promoting..but mix and techniche critique yes.

Rap recording, processing and mixing takes defferent techniches to sung vocals as you've got this dynamic rythmic energy to try and control and make happen in sometimes chaotic sounding music...any other music that uses that style (Jungle, Tehcno, Garage, Grime) are all born out of Hip Hop.

Plus as said I'm a Junkie ...you gonna leave me Cold Turkey??
Old 1st September 2005
An announcement will be made soon regarding the Hip Hop forum..
Old 1st September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffydog
Jdunn...music transends these disciminatory bounds you frequent in terms of spelling and education...
**** or get off the pot ..as they say!
I'm not talking at all about music, and I already said I'm not judging anyone. I just think it looks funny to see grown men who can obviously write in perfect English, carry on with this silly looking talk. Doesn't it actually take more thought and effort to type like that?

I am not discriminating against anyone, but if you feel that way, it's not going to bother me. I really don't care about the spelling or the slang. If anyone wants to use it for the rest of their life, fine by me.

Is your hip hop ego threatened by the English language? Do people who speak normal English make you suspicious? I'm just wondering about that. Is that what it is? If you write in normal English you'll be just another "sucker"?

If I have a question about hip hop production, I guess I'll have to decide if I should type it in English or Hip Hop, that's all!

This topic obviously upsets people. I don't take it that seriously, I'm sorry it was perceived that way. I'll refrain from any further comments about this. What's the point? Youz obviously wantz to be like dat yo.

Can I get a smiley icon?
Old 1st September 2005

Quote:
I'm not talking at all about music, and I already said I'm not judging anyone. I just think it looks funny to see grown men who can obviously write in perfect English, carry on with this silly looking talk.

I am not discriminating against anyone, but if you feel that way, it's not going to bother me. I really don't care about the spelling or the slang. If anyone wants to type like that for the rest of their life, fine by me.

Is your hip hop ego threatened by the English language? Do people who speak normal English make you suspicious? I'm just wondering about that. Is that what it is? If you write in normal English you'll be just another one of us "suckers"?

I'll refrain from any further comments about this. What's the point. Youz obviously wantz to be like dat yo.
OK... I think there is a small amount of posters on the forum that fit this description (1 or 2)... Other than a couple of people, I think most (98%) of the poster's have very good writing skills.. Also, most of the rappers that I come into contact with are well educated, and probably talk a lot like you do. I can see the kind of talk that you are eluding to from 15 year olds, but not adults who are making a living in this industry.. If it bothers you, just don't read the post.
Old 1st September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not talking at all about music, and I already said I'm not judging anyone. I just think it looks funny to see grown men who can obviously write in perfect English, carry on with this silly looking talk. Doesn't it actually take more thought and effort to type like that?

I am not discriminating against anyone, but if you feel that way, it's not going to bother me. I really don't care about the spelling or the slang. If anyone wants to use it for the rest of their life, fine by me.

Is your hip hop ego threatened by the English language? Do people who speak normal English make you suspicious? I'm just wondering about that. Is that what it is? If you write in normal English you'll be just another "sucker"?

If I have a question about hip hop production, I guess I'll have to decide if I should type it in English or Hip Hop, that's all!

This topic obviously upsets people. I don't take it that seriously, I'm sorry it was perceived that way. I'll refrain from any further comments about this. What's the point? Youz obviously wantz to be like dat yo.
Your first three paragraphs, you really had a good point of view going and I thought you were going to really go somewhere good with it. After that....well...I'll just leave it at, you have the right to your own opinions and I respect that. At least you're not a fence rider...like some.
Old 1st September 2005
Lives for gear

You're absolutely right, I should just butt out of the post if I don't like it. I'm sorry.

But it's not that I don't like it really, I'm just more fascinated with the psychology of people. I like Hip Hop/Rap, and I like most of the rappers/mc's/dj's that I've met.

The thing is, I've never worked on a Rap/Hip Hop project yet. I do listen to the music, some of it at least. I prefer East Coast Hip Hop to the West Coast stuff so far it seems.

So I'm really just trying to gain some insight into how people think, and why. My og post in this thread was that "The slang spelling was killing me", I think. I meant that it was humorous, and not in a bad way. And I don't mean that I'm laughing at anyone, because I'm not that kind of person at all.

It's an interesting phenomenon to me, but not in a clinical "Let me shrink your brain" kind of way. One o' my manz left a message on my machine just yesterday, part of which reads "Whatz the happenins on the cappenins pappenin?" If anyone can use that, he gets royalties, a-ight?
Old 1st September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface
Your first three paragraphs, you really had a good point of view going and I thought you were going to really go somewhere good with it. After that....well...I'll just leave it at, you have the right to your own opinions and I respect that. At least you're not a fence rider...like some.
See, I would have thought the questions in the third paragraph would be insulting. I'm trying to take it somewhere good, because as I said in my first post on this thread, "Not to be a hater". Maybe I lost sight of that part, but not intentionally.

Anyway, the honest truth is that I'm glad if this forum becomes permanent. If a discussion that's perceived to be discriminatory can stay on track and not get totally out of control, I think you're on to something here.

Intelligent discussion on Rap/Hip Hop Production is possible, and however you spell, your ideas are very welcome. As long as you're not a psycho poster of course!

The only problem is that you'll think I'm joking or being derogatory anytime I don't use proper English. Damn! That's my fault for being an ass I guess. I mean, that thing on my answering machine, that's real. I couldn't make that up.
Old 2nd September 2005
Gear Nut

I'll second what djunn said. I'm not a native english speaker. So I just don't get most of what have been said by the one or two people are saying (which seem to be really interesting though).
And it's not about slang, it's about phonetic and SMS style typing.

But anyway, please Jules, master of this wonderful forum, make the hip hop thing permanent, I'm sure the moderator shall easily handle the little issus that may appear.
Old 2nd September 2005
Here for the gear

This forum is great. Very informative and helpful. Hope it remains...
Old 2nd September 2005
Here for the gear

Keep this forum

This forum is a great idea. Keep it.

- eye of blood
Old 5th September 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
An announcement will be made soon regarding the Hip Hop forum..
Did I miss something? :-)

regards
Dussel
Old 11th September 2005
Gear Maniac

Dear Gearslutz:

Hopefully this forum will remain on Gearslutz. Can we rename this forum to?

Rap + Hip Hop Engineering & Production

Regards,

Ray thumbsup
Old 15th September 2005
Gear Maniac

This one is a KEEPER!!!!
Old 16th September 2005
Lives for gear

"Let it be"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search