The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixing loops
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Mixing loops

What do you folks do as far as getting loop-y material to balance right? Particularly when stacking a lot of them (say like old PE or De La)?

Peece,
T. Tauri
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Well a trick I use is that I don't use loops for the bed of my track, only for certain audio "enhancements". I find i get much better results this way.

For eg: If your sequenced midi hi-hats sound really static and sterile, just hi pass filter a loop(s) whose hi hat line you really like the feel of, and use that one instead. You might need some additional EQ on getting it to sit right...
Old 4th August 2005
jgo
Gear Head

Chopping where necessary, EQ & compress to fill the gaps.

If it's just a straight up loop with drums, bass & lead something then I pretty much just EQ it as is.
If I am layering loops, I will def EQ each loop/part for it's essence & chop off the un-needed parts.
Sometimes Panning a stereo loop works wonders too.
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

I hate when you pull a loop off of a cd and it's not the BPM it's supposed to be. Does anyone have any quick ways to figure out BPMs?
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop
I hate when you pull a loop off of a cd and it's not the BPM it's supposed to be. Does anyone have any quick ways to figure out BPMs?
in PRO TOOLS: try this

You must use PT in "auto tempo mode".....(light up the maestro at transport window)

Select say, one bar or two of the loop
go to the "Identify beat" at EDIT menu (cmd+i)

type in "Identify beat" dialog the start and end

BINGO!
PT will calculate the BPM and show in the Transport window

Best
M.

Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I have found the quickest and most reliable way to find out loop tempo's is to use Acid. Acid will "beat map" the tracks for you, and in general its very accurate.
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazaga
in PRO TOOLS: try this

You must use PT in "auto tempo mode".....(light up the maestro at transport window)

Select say, one bar or two of the loop
go to the "Identify beat" at EDIT menu (cmd+i)

type in "Identify beat" dialog the start and end

BINGO!
PT will calculate the BPM and show in the Transport window

Best
M.

Awesome, ill have to try this out!
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Guru

the best and most reliable way to find the tempo of something is this:

You will need the tab-to-transient enabled and you will also need the Digi Time Compression/Expansion audiosuite plugin.

First, tab to the downbeat of a bar. Then get a loop going that is AT LEAST four bars, preferably eight. Using tab to transient is a quick way to get it to loop perfectly. After you have this selection, just open the Time compression plugin and in the field for bars/beats, type in how long your selection is, either four or eight bars or whatever, press enter, and in the BPM window it will update to reflect the tempo of the selection.

Simple, and accurate as hell!
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
OK, I'll admit it. I've sometimes used GarageBand to get some loops at the tempo that I want. What I'll do is pull the loop (preferably at least one or two bars long) into the SoundTrack Loop Utility - a free app that is available here. I enter in the beats and it automatically figures out the original tempo for you. I then save the loop as an APPLE LOOP AIFF. Then I'll pull the loop into GarageBand and set the project tempo to the one I'm looking for - bounce it out of GarageBand and "Wa-La," it's exactly at the tempo I need. The whole process takes a minute.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, for sure - but this is a simple way to do it with free software.

-KD03
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyd03
OK, I'll admit it. I've sometimes used GarageBand to get some loops at the tempo that I want. What I'll do is pull the loop (preferably at least one or two bars long) into the SoundTrack Loop Utility - a free app that is available here. I enter in the beats and it automatically figures out the original tempo for you. I then save the loop as an APPLE LOOP AIFF. Then I'll pull the loop into GarageBand and set the project tempo to the one I'm looking for - bounce it out of GarageBand and "Wa-La," it's exactly at the tempo I need. The whole process takes a minute.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, for sure - but this is a simple way to do it with free software.

-KD03
Oh yeah! I'm still on Logic 6.4 but I guess this is a good enough reason to upgrade to 7!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search