The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tracking Midi in Hip Hop
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Tracking Midi in Hip Hop

I have heard several big name producers who track their midi tracks virtually, as opposed to recording individual tracks for each midi part. That is, instead of tracking all of the parts individually in Pro Tools (substitute DAW of choice here), they pre-mix everything in a mixer and just run the master outs from the mixer into to the DAW to record down to a L and R stereo channel. This then leaves the other tracks available on the DAW for vocals and other overdubs. I'm just curious if a lot of folks work like this.

As a follow up question, for those who do work this way what happens when someone wants to buy your beat or when someone is ready to put the track on an album? Do you usually go back in the studio and re-record everything or do they take the 2 track stereo CD and load that back into protools or something and add vocals from there.

I'm just curious about the process. I ran into a few producers who work this way and was wondering if a lot of you guys work that way.
Old 3rd August 2005

That is what you would call "2 tracking a beat"...

This allows them to send the beat out (usually on a CD), for demo-ing so that you can shop your beats to the artists. If they buy it, then you would track it and mix it properly.
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

I see more and more people working off the 2-track, never going back to re-track the beat. The absolute horror is that quite often these CD's are FUKKEN MP3'S!!!

See the Dave Pensado archives.
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Addict

" Do you usually go back in the studio and re-record everything or do they take the 2 track stereo CD and load that back into protools or something and add vocals from there. "

depends, i know a few producers who i will not touch their 2 track mix, they are just so good at what they do i leave it alone

others, you really need to touch up, especially in the lower freq
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Yes, some producers ont want there mix touched, I can understand for the ones who are "qaulified". The music can get f*ed up if the mix is not done correctly. But thats why its sometime good for the producer to stick around actually be a producer and stay when the song is being mixed.
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

I think it can be a good idea to "pre mix" sounds in the production, just to get closer to what you know you want to achive.

Then the mixing process is more about balance and minor tweaks.

But you have to know what you are doing (as always I suppose).
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultools
I see more and more people working off the 2-track, never going back to re-track the beat. The absolute horror is that quite often these CD's are FUKKEN MP3'S!!!

See the Dave Pensado archives.
Yikes, that's scary.
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

1. I bring back my MIDI virtually most of the time. For the final mix, I'll dump the MIDI tracks into my DAW.

2. I've always delivered my beats as a multi-track DAW session, on 2" tape, or back in the old days, ADATs.

Good luck!

-KD03

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search