The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
pharell laying down a track...
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

pharell laying down a track...

Just something I came across and want to share with yall..

Pharell making the 'Midnight Hour' track

If you think about how much hits he came up with this way!
Old 3rd August 2005

Nice find!

That's MasterTracks in VA... I was there last year and Chad was working on the Clipse.
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

I think that's similar to how things go when I have an artist in the studio with me but I try to get them more involved/interested. I feel like the artist is usually right there with me vibe-wise and when they leave they feel a connection with what we just did.

That girl seems like she doesn't even want to be there...

But then, I don't have any hit records....yet
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Two thumbs up!!

Gotta go....that video just made me have to get back in the lab. Catch ya'll l8r!
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

If that chick was the artist, then she was pretty useless. No wonder we never heard of her.
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Chick = inspiration
Old 3rd August 2005
heh mans making this amazing track and the girl is just sitting there and talking on the phone not saying anything about the music or singing or nothing
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharma one
heh mans making this amazing track and the girl is just sitting there and talking on the phone not saying anything about the music or singing or nothing
Some of the projects I do start with writing the song with the artist in the room. If the artist is 'secure enough in their own vocal talents' (i.e. don't need autotuning), then they will always join in and sing. It's a great vibe.

The artist Pharell was producing seemed to be camera shy... perhaps she didn't want people to see/hear her actual singing.....

Just a thought....
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I'm downloading this clip right now! Rather lage size (66 megs). But i am sure excited to watch this!
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I wonder what he was tracking to?
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Nice one

nanurnaunanaa hooooo! in the midnight hour when you sleep..... heh

smooth, want to hear the full song

this chick definitely dont belong there tutt

beatz i think it is a korg triton extreme?!?!?
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Maybe she knows her talent. Being creative probably ain't it. Yall know the game... look pretty, sing the song the way we tell ya and be quiet. She is not in the way at all. Some people are human tape recorders, can sing what you give them but are no help pulling magic out of thin air.
Old 4th August 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatzz
I wonder what he was tracking to?
sequencing is all done on a Korg 01/W (bottom keyboard). Sampler (including drums) is pulled from a Ensoniq ASR-10 (top rack). I can't quite make out what the middle rack is, but I'm suspecting it'll be some sort of a analog modeling synth (Juno 106 maybe?).

it amazes me how simple and old skool these guys are. The setup you see in that clip is what they use to produce most of their hits. They sequence everything on that cheapo old skool 01/W, and I bet they use a multitude of its built in ROMpler sounds as well.

Just goes to show that MAD skillz and familiary with a few pieces of equipment is all you really need to make HEAT.

-sunrck
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

So was this a released song? Tried to find "Midnight Hour" and all I found was Wilson Pickett
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Last year Pharell was visiting the UK and had a session in the studio next door...
They had loads of midi problems which I helped solve, he was sequencing on O1/W trying to sync it to protools...anyhow he worked in a daisychain with a few battered modules nice guy ... loads of people with him ...
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac black
Last year Pharell was visiting the UK and had a session in the studio next door...
They had loads of midi problems which I helped solve, he was sequencing on O1/W trying to sync it to protools...anyhow he worked in a daisychain with a few battered modules nice guy ... loads of people with him ...
What kinda modules did he have?
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Guru

yea, pharrell keeps it simple. It takes about 5 minutes to set up his rig. Just the o1w with a bunch of modules daisy chained to it. Triton extreme for drums (not stock drums) Roland stuff, tr rack, really just the normal stuff, nothing special. We tried to get him to try some new stuff like Open Labs Neko and a Moog voyager, but he really just sticks to what he knows. If it aint broke, don't fix it i guess. We did hook him up with the Oberheim DX, which he was diggin for a minute. Be on the lookout for those Prince drums to make a comeback!
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
What kinda modules did he have?
korg roland and I think he may have used vintage keys... but I cant remember the models...
(more or less what the poster before said)
Its not what you have its what you do with it ...(in music ofcourse
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkeman
Maybe she knows her talent. Being creative probably ain't it. Yall know the game... look pretty, sing the song the way we tell ya and be quiet. She is not in the way at all. Some people are human tape recorders, can sing what you give them but are no help pulling magic out of thin air.
is the girl vanessa marquez? That their new signing right?

and is that chad playing guitar?
Old 4th August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfavila
is the girl vanessa marquez? That their new signing right?

and is that chad playing guitar?
Not sure if that's Vanessa (it's possible that's not the artist for this song anyway.... It's could just be a friend hanging out), but that's Chad playing guitar....

That video could be from a while ago (at least 3 or 4 months ago anyway).. They have a new studio now.
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrck
sequencing is all done on a Korg 01/W (bottom keyboard).
That's insane! In that girl's defense, for all we know she's been sitting there listen to that beat loop for hours!
Old 4th August 2005
Dor
Lives for gear

this video has been floating around the net for over a year now.
Old 4th August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor
this video has been floating around the net for over a year now.
I figured... because they had bought a new studo a few months ago and don't work there anymore.
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

hell, he´s actually sequencing on that 01/W ???? + triggering the ASR from it ??
now that´s oldskool ;-)

have any of you cats ever seen someone using a roland v-synth ???
I just tried it out and immediatly started making music & composing....it´s layed out SO simple....a touchscreen + some dedicated controls and it can do some REALLY cool things with your samples.....pretty underrated tool, I guess

I´ll def. get one this year....they´re only around 1,5k used !!

got rid of all my drum-hardware 2 years ago.....was pretty happy then...
now I got
stylus rmx: doesn´t get too much use....dunno why,just too much loop stuff maybe
battery: very cool for layering, but NOT cool to check different hits for your midi-groove.....don´t believe in complete KITs....wanna check 25 BDs and 25 SNs and choose what I like...
Live4: cool stuff..nice programming...but REWIRE into logic aaaaahhh what a nightmare
keep coming back to my few own EXS-kits most of the time...

and now I was really blown away by the new elektron-machinedrum uw (w/ 12bit sampling).....maybe back to hardware soon ;-))

sorry was a bit off topic.....loved the video !!!! basically it´s all about ya ideas !!
so get the gear that INSPIRES you....in my case, v-synth & Machinedrum-UW

...and maybe a used 01/w ??? heh heh heh heh
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

I love how excited he get's when he figures out the chorus. It's things like that that keep me in this business. So great to see such a talented person so happy about his work. It dosen't get any better than that.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
I love how excited he get's when he figures out the chorus. It's things like that that keep me in this business. So great to see such a talented person so happy about his work. It dosen't get any better than that.

That's exactly what keeps me watching that video over and over!
Seeing someone talented being passionate about his work really inspires me.
Old 6th August 2005
That's an interesting video. I especially liked the part where chica tried to blow a kiss to the camera man and it got stuck to her hand. That was a bit surprising.
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by strauss
That's exactly what keeps me watching that video over and over!
Seeing someone talented being passionate about his work really inspires me.

for real... That Rush we the loop takes a life of its own, That exhiliration of finding a hook...
have been recording rock/Funk stuff for the last few month..miss beat making... its cool as hell...
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5

i'm fortunate to see it all the time and believe me, the guy LOVES what he does. And your absolutely right, it doesn't get any better than that.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

does anyone know who the artist´s name and song name is? i would love to hear the finished product...has this song even been released? anyone got a link?

rock on!
pat

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search