pharell laying down a track...
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Addict

The Girl looks really bored....
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboys
does anyone know who the artist´s name and song name is? i would love to hear the finished product...has this song even been released? anyone got a link?

rock on!
pat
I couldn't find it for the life of me. Apparently the girl is Vanessa Marquez and is signed to Star Trak, but aside from that;[
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

So no one knows what this track is
Old 10th August 2005
Here for the gear

Google says its Tasha.

Song is called "In The Midnight Hour feat. Pharrell"
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

If the girl in the vid is who he's writing the song for (she's the singer), then it's really easy to see why no-one's heard of it. You can't sing if your not into the song.....
Old 12th August 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
If the girl in the vid is who he's writing the song for (she's the singer), then it's really easy to see why no-one's heard of it. You can't sing if your not into the song.....
yeah, you can tell it wasnt HER house they mortgaged to hire Pharrell!

you can also tell how embarrassed the boyfriend (working the cam) is!

I've heard the finished track, and the vocal is (artificially) double-tracked in the chorus and flat, thin and unengaging in the verse. No surprises.
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Addict

where do you think Pharrell will be in say ... 5 years ... does not seem to me to be a great talent more like the flavor of the week ... I did not even like his shoe line
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Nut

Well considering he and Chad have been writing commercial tracks for like 14 years(I think that's right, I know rump shaker was one of their first credited tracks and that had to be like 91)... And he is aligned with plenty of powerful people in the entertainment industry and has also managed to outlive being a flavor of the month("SuperThug" is like 6 years old now, one of their first big hits in their bid to take over rap). I would say he ain't really goin' anywhere, and even if he does I am sure he is worth enough that he doesn't even have to worry about it anymore. So who cares.

Also I wish I knew where to get those shoes, I rather like the designs. It's flat and lovely looking, seriously just what I love in sneaker designs;; Though that's not my fav out of the Ice Creams I have seen.
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Guru

Pharrell aint going anywhere anytime soon. He's definitely past the "flavor of the month" status.

The only place where you can get the Ice Creams are at his boutique in NYC, same place he sells the BBC clothes. And they are about $300 a pair. Not exactly sure where in NY it is though
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

http://www.underdogentertainment.net/

has a lot of videos of them recording and producing top name artists.

enter and go to the "underlab"

this is the best one, made my fall out laughing
http://www.underdogentertainment.net/video.html?video='ericsnewride'
http://www.underdogentertainment.net/video.html?video='ericsnewride'
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatzz
I wonder what he was tracking to?
He sequences right in the Korg o1w and then dumps to protools. No samples just all stock keyboards. Not exactly up to date.
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u
He sequences right in the Korg o1w and then dumps to protools. No samples just all stock keyboards. Not exactly up to date.

nah, he's ****in with samples more now for drums.
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Head

To be honest, that girl look shy to me. Pharell full of energy that is the sort of spirit/soul you need around when making music.
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1ch007
To be honest, that girl look shy to me. Pharell full of energy that is the sort of spirit/soul you need around when making music.
Maybe she was just the 'knob polisher'? heh
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
Maybe she was just the 'knob polisher'? heh

Yuuurp heh
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Great link. For a minute I was there with him, feelin the vibe. That video is what it's all about. I can relate to his enthusiasm. It's the best feelin in the world. thumbsup
Old 23rd February 2006
Gear Maniac

Wicked Video

That Video is inspiring man. It made the music start flowing after I saw that. Does anyone know where pharell got his drum sounds from in that video. Also, does anyone know how the korg 01w is different to the ensoniq asr-10? Thanks...
Old 23rd February 2006
Gear Addict

She's just upset her boyfriends there....
Old 23rd February 2006
no ssl yet
So hopefully this will put an end to all the "What swings like an MPC threads LOL"

Why do we even need "NEW" gear? I love my 4k but mainly because it's an extension of my MPC 60II and works the same way. IT fits what I know. The secret is IN the song, it's never in the machine. NOt the 1073 or protools or MPC or any piece of gear. Also, it's not in who mixes the song. NO Matter what the folks on gearslutz say, the mix is never more important than the song. A poor song with a great mix is just that "a poor song," But a great song with a less than stellar mix can still be a great song.

Sometimes I feel guys here do more wondering where so and so got his kick from than making songs.

Newsflash, All drum machines prettty much sound alike, and a motiff doesnt sound much different from a fantom, which doesnt sound much different from a K2500, which doesnt sound much different from a 5080, which doesnt sound much different from a JD990, which doesnt sound much different from a K2000

The baddest 900 gig symphony String set may not sit in a track like a simple old 1080. Make MUSIC

At the end of the day it's not about if Jeezy is better than old school rappers, if rap is out of it's best era, IF Kanye has hood credability, IF Cam and Dip set sucks, If Jigga looks like Joe Camel,

IT's about MUSIC. Simple Beautiful MUSIC and a good Song.

It could be a good song sang over a simple I,iv,V progression
OR a complex Jazz piece,
OR a hip Hop song with chord stabs and Drums.

But at the end of the day it's about GOOD OLE SONGS
Old 23rd February 2006
Gear Maniac

"Also, it's not in who mixes the song. "

what? oh my goodness. you must be crazy. it takes years to get ears.
Old 23rd February 2006
no ssl yet
dfegad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshay

LOL if you think I dont know that it takes years to get ears, you TOTALLY missed the point of my post, I'm saying Dave P may get a better mix than you would, but Dave P wont make the song a good song, neither will sequencing on an MPC, and good songs have a hell of alot more weight in the value of the final production than all the other factors.

We shouldnt miss the forest for the trees

But then again, I guess you are right the most important factor is the ears of the mixer rightdfegad
Old 23rd February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshay

not true.. it takes practice. Practice Makes Progress. heh
Old 23rd February 2006
Gear Maniac

i read in an other interview he uses a lot of preset drumsounds from the triton, then samples those drums in the ASR and does the editting of the drumsounds with ASR. All sequencing he does in the 01w cuz he cant work with software sequencers like eg cubase. Thats what Chad said.

I allready heard some prince (linn drummachine??)drums on the Robin Thicke single I wanna Love you girl, also produced by the Nepz.
Old 23rd February 2006
Here for the gear

How many keys for the o1/w?

Does anyone know how many keys that korg o1/w controller had? My guess is 72 keys. If it was 88 keys, I didn't think he would sequence w hammertouch!?!? This video is truly inspiring!!!

DRAW
Old 23rd February 2006
Lives for gear

Yeay it's Tasha - Midnight Hour.

She seemed tired in this video, not shy or bored. You know how boring it can be when you sit beside someone who's taking hours to get a song done.

The melody of the chorus is great, but I found that the final overall sound of the instrumental is pretty muddy, the kick goes too much in the low ends.

If you watch this video several times, you'll understand that it's in fact Chad, when he takes his guitar and palys with it, who gives the melody idea of the chorus to Pharrell (the video has cuts). That's my guess though.
Don't make fun of me, I don't have TV so when I eat a pizza that's the kind of video I'm watching ^^
Old 23rd February 2006
Lives for gear

the song is 'In The Midnight Hour" by Vanessa Marquez...
here ya go...........
Attached Files
Old 23rd February 2006
Lives for gear

You sure it's not Tasha ?
Old 23rd February 2006
Lives for gear

this is probably the worst song i've ever heard the neptunes make------and yet there's SOMETHING about it i really like-----typical neptunes----they make you like songs you KNOW ain't good!!
Old 23rd February 2006
no ssl yet
Did anyone notice a broken key on the ASR?
Old 23rd February 2006
Lives for gear

>Did anyone notice a broken key on the ASR?

Yeah, this reminded me of my old ASR-10 with a plastic fader missing... But you know what, it musn't be the only ASR they own. I bet they all have multi outputs installed on.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search