The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beat Production - How do you?
Old 16th July 2009
Gear Addict

When making beats I think it's important to build some solid, ready to go drum kits first, even before you start. That way you don't have to spend time layering and eqing sounds during the writing stage, (something which can kill your creative flow and ruin the momentum) you can just play and let the ideas flow.

Most top producers use the same drum sounds over and over. They've built up solid kits in various keys, so they can turn on their machines and just bang away with drums that have already been eq'd, probably had a bit of compression, are already tuned and hitting hard. Now they can look for inspiring sounds and melodys, and bang out a lot of track in a day and just pick the best ones.

Before you start making beats, your focus should be on creating the best (ready to go) kits possible, wheather in an MPC or in Battery it doesn't matter, once you've done that the whole process becomes a lot more enjoyable in my experience.
Old 16th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Theatre View Post
When making beats I think it's important to build some solid, ready to go drum kits first, even before you start. That way you don't have to spend time layering and eqing sounds during the writing stage, (something which can kill your creative flow and ruin the momentum) you can just play and let the ideas flow.

Most top producers use the same drum sounds over and over. They've built up solid kits in various keys, so they can turn on their machines and just bang away with drums that have already been eq'd, probably had a bit of compression, are already tuned and hitting hard. Now they can look for inspiring sounds and melodys, and bang out a lot of track in a day and just pick the best ones.

Before you start making beats, your focus should be on creating the best (ready to go) kits possible, wheather in an MPC or in Battery it doesn't matter, once you've done that the whole process becomes a lot more enjoyable in my experience.
definitely +1 to that. on my days off (self-imposed most of the time) i like to create new kits for my MPC and give them silly names so when i'm inspired i just lock and "LOAD"
Old 17th July 2009
_rd
Lives for gear

I hear the complete instrumental in my head. Then I extract every voice and write the score down, note by note (or play it on the piano directly).
Old 17th July 2009
Lives for gear

I've actually called my wife from work and told her not to answer when I call back so I can hum/beatbox the thing on her voicemail and hear it when I get home.
Old 17th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Theatre View Post

True..
Old 5th November 2009
Lives for gear

rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Set Surgeon View Post
I've actually called my wife from work and told her not to answer when I call back so I can hum/beatbox the thing on her voicemail and hear it when I get home.
I recorded a melody in my phone a few hours ago... Don't know if it'll be worth keeping by the time I sit down in front of the computer... heh

It never comes out the same way I hear it in my cranium... sometimes great, sometimes "turrrible"...
Old 5th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by voicegenius View Post
I recorded a melody in my phone a few hours ago... Don't know if it'll be worth keeping by the time I sit down in front of the computer... heh

It never comes out the same way I hear it in my cranium... sometimes great, sometimes "turrrible"...
Yea don't you hate it when you've got that new hot hot **** goin in your head and you're all excited and your hearts beatin and all and then you try to put it down or you record it and listen back later and..... yea..... was my mind infected with demons or somethin?
Old 27th July 2011
Here for the gear

At first , i start with composing the melody on a midi keyboard , it has to have a start and an ending , probably at leat 16 bar or 8 bar melody to a 88BPM Beats , then if the melody is finished i can create suitable drums that will suit it perfectly, as you know the melody you now created is going to be for the chorus , then you will figure out how to do the rest of the song if you like it yourself ! you have to feel the beat and melody you created! making at least 3.20mins of a instrumental is a standard .So now everything is done ,But The beat is not completely finished !even if you think it is . listen to it twice or even 10 times to think about it,ask friends if they like it, add little touches Like effects , dropdowns , crashes ,drops ect..
The more positive opinion you get from others , the more you be sure that the beat sounds good and you done with it..
thats how i do it

KD Production
Old 27th July 2011
Gear Nut

I got a simple approach

9 times out of 10 I start wit a melody or a sample idea in my head then i lay it down & build on it, then I lay down the drums,and last but not least da bassline/bass drums.
Old 27th July 2011
Gear Addict

I don't really have one way of doing a beat.

I can't really make beats for vocals, I just make beats for singers who can then go away and write to the music. I find it easier because it doesn't limit what I do with the beat, I have all open parameters and keys to do whatever I want - when you do a beat to vocals, you have already limited yourself in so many ways.

I open up FL. Sometimes go thorugh random samples I have. Sometimes load up a VST and just find some interesting patches/sounds that I like..

Sometimes I just play a standard piano to find chords I like.

Sometimes I mess with some indian samples / old bollywood films to see if they have some cool bits I could sample.

Everything is just based off where I start. Depending what I find/put down first, then I take it from there.

I don't have a complex system, I usually just do whatever the track tells me to do.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search