The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Whats on your stereo Bus?
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Addict

Nothing. Rather leave it up to mastering. It´s strange sometimes and can be misleading to mix into a comp, eq or limiter.

Cheers,
Bill
Old 6th August 2005
Nothing.

Period.

I have too much respect for the mastering process to sabotage a mix with an outboard box.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 6th August 2005
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

on that note..............for Rap

compression vs limiting? both would need to have fast attacks??
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Maniac

An RNC. Can't afford me no Alan Smart at the moment....one of these days maybe though not that I'm complaining 'cause the RNC does a fine job.
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

SSL G384

Just got it, and love it for groove-based music. That said, if it's going to mastering I'd definitely provide a clean version too. Best of both worlds.

- proxy
Old 6th September 2005
Lives for gear

Over the weekend I had to track on a barebones logic system with a powercore and TC Master X3 seems like a useful plugin. Got me pretty close to the sound i was looking for when i didn't have many options available to me.

I'll def. play with it more when i'm staying in the box (even though i can't wait to try that sony limiter).
Old 6th September 2005
Lives for gear

Nothing.

I've tried it many times over the years (analogue and digital) and I've come to the conclusion that I'm just one of those people who don't like mixing into a proccessed master fader.

It's sounds very arty to say this, but for me the master fader is the canvas, I like it as blank as possible.

No "evangelism" here, just my experience and personal taste.
Old 6th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar
Nothing.

I've tried it many times over the years (analogue and digital) and I've come to the conclusion that I'm just one of those people who don't like mixing into a proccessed master fader.

It's sounds very arty to say this, but for me the master fader is the canvas, I like it as blank as possible.

No "evangelism" here, just my experience and personal taste.
When i have a lot of time, i usually don't use anything unless i'm looking for a "sound". But when time is limited and you have a client that is looking for 5 mixes in a day, sometimes 2-bus processing gets you "in the ballpark" much quicker.

I definitely don't do the same thing every project...it depends on the sound i'm going for and how much time i have.
Old 7th September 2005

I can't believe two pages of talk and only one person uses Waves L1... L2 is cool also, but I like L1!
Old 7th September 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
I can't believe two pages of talk and only one person uses Waves L1... L2 is cool also, but I like L1!
With respect Tony, I'd like to put in a word against this idea...

A digital limiter creates a limited wave peak, and midrange artifacts especially audible in the snare and vocal harmonics that are impossible to undo ... these artifacts sound like polish in a mix, yet are very limiting (no pun intended) for any mastering.

Some digital limiting will be part of most mastering, but a double dip of these good-in-small-doses artifacts is just not a first call approach ... with respect.

A pop tune I did recently was limited on the mix buss and it was just a mess for mastering .... on the one hand it sounded very close to being 'finished' ... on the other, ever K and SN was near clipped and no analog or digital processing could avoid making the limiter artifacts far worse. The mids were L2 scooped and again further processing going for levels just made a smeary mess.

A mix with a balance of good dynamics and good compression can sound both louder and better than any L2 mixes that I've ever heard. Finally, a L2 almost requires clipping the AD converter in mastering to avoid the double-dip artifacts, at least that's how some guys do it. I'd rather not.

Ultimately a digital limiter is there for the peak level (unnecessary in mixing), and has unique artifacts that in small doses really make a master POP ... yet I'd hope to see less of these on the mix bus.
Old 7th September 2005
Lives for gear
I like the L1 a lot too..I have all 3, but I always go back to the L1.
Old 10th September 2005
Gear Maniac

la2a,waves L3 multi

im using the uad La2a,voxengo tape bus(sometimes),and waves L3 multi set to warm.
Old 10th September 2005
Gear Maniac

la2a,waves L3 multi

im using the uad La2a,voxengo tape bus(sometimes),and waves L3 multi set to warm.
Old 11th September 2005
Gear Addict

Avalon VT-747sp.
Old 11th September 2005
Lives for gear

Never anything on the master bus! Kills your headroom, kik, snare, etc... Ya'll need to learn! Just turn your mix down and make sure it doesn't go over zero. Leave the mastering to mastering people!

BaseJase
ILLYNOISE

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search