The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
where is hiphop/rap going? what are you listening to?
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzle

Someone mentioned Mos Def's "The New Danger"

My opinion:
This album is almost ruined by sub-par musicians and incredibly un-imaginative arrangements.

Two tracks seem to stand head and shoulders above the rest for me:
Grown Man's Buisness
The Panties

I have a hard time taking the rest of the album seriously. Even "Modern Marvel" seems ill-advised and contrived to me. I much prefer "Black on Both Sides".

Speaking of Mos, my favorite verses of his are on the Lyricist Lounge Vol. 2 cd. I think he's sick in all 3 songs he's in... man, that cd is awesome.
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Head

production...

jedi mind tricks anyone? dopeass beats coming from that camp consistently. maaan hip hop production is leaving hip hop lyricism in the dirt .. for now.
Old 6th August 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by byunsen
production...

jedi mind tricks anyone? dopeass beats coming from that camp consistently. maaan hip hop production is leaving hip hop lyricism in the dirt .. for now.

stoops behind most of those beats. plain ridiculous. my only complaint is lack of variety. most of the beats have the same general idea behind them, but they always come out so nice.
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Maniac

DJ VADIM from the U.K Kiks ass!!!!!!

DJ Krush is also very talented but I haven't heard from him in a while...
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Maniac

don't listen to hiphop much anymore for fun..
for reference? dre stuff for the sonics..
i'm working with this female mc, she got me a cd with Arsonists, Little Brother, Immortal Technique, Non Phixion, etc..
do i like that? not sure.. at least it got something, billboard hiphop has lost..
i feel it's a bit pretentious sometimes.
where's the fun in hiphop?
Old 7th August 2005
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=elder rookie]i surprised no one has mentioned RJD2. he's creating some of the best stuff i'm hearing nowadays. most of the stuff of defjux ( http://www.definitivejux.net/ ) is 10 times better than anything out in the mainstream right now.

RJD2 is sick...got some old stuff that i love
how about Aesop Rock?!? he has some of the craziest ryhmes over some tasty beats..nobody mentions him, man what a shame...

mos def, blackalicious, common, de la soul are some other favorites..

check out Second Hand Outfit out of south FL...good stuff

o and lil jon.. dfegad

peace

p
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Maniac

roots manuva - UK
x raisons - france
orishas - cuba
7 notas y colores - spain

these all have the truly inventive and roots flava for me.
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjmusic
RJD2 is sick...got some old stuff that i love
how about Aesop Rock?!? he has some of the craziest ryhmes over some tasty beats..nobody mentions him, man what a shame...
I'm the biggest AR fan I know. I think he's the best lyricist out right now, almost. He's occasionally to smart for his own good. I get it, but a few songs lose me after a bit. I still like the lyrics and flow, but I get lost as to where he's trying to go.
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface
Rap music is the largest selling form of music in the industry. From Cd's to clothing, to movies to just about everything. You may think rap is on the decline because you don't personally like what's out there right now but maybe you should take a look at the charts and realize that just because you don't like what's going on, dosen't mean it's not selling.

Where do I think rap is going? I think rap is going to continue to dominate the music industry as it has since the 90's. We are the trendsetters. The rest just try to keep up. I think what really upsets people, especially on this site, is that you don't need some fancy engineer with a million dollars in outboard gear to make a platinum record. Maybe it's the majority of top studios run by arrogant rock engineers that will die. Ok with me...we don't need you and you hate it. Or, maybe you hate it because it sounds so simple yet with all your expertise, you can't do it. "But they arn't micing the drums, it can't be good music!"

But hey, let me not be a party pooper. I can say ignorant things too. Come to think of it, i think Rock-N-Roll is going to die....and country for that matter because I can't name one act or artist that's any good in either catagory.

Sounds silly dosen't it? Wake up people...seriously....or get left behind. Some of this may have leaked over from the other silly thread....but oh well. You get my drift.

I think this post is pretty arrogant. I'm fairly new to GS and love it, but if it keeps up like this, I'd rather see the hiphop forum go. The same mindset of this post is the same as the "arrogant rock engineers" that are mentioned. It's a "my style is better then your style, so screw your style" thing.
Old 9th August 2005
Mos Def's latest album wasn't my favorite thing i've heard by him (i get sick of the 1 minute intro "yeah, uh-huh" stuff), but I still have a lot of respect for him. Blackstar was a great album.

UK Grime is really ****ing cool. Dizzee Rascal, Kano, Wiley, Roll Deep, Virus Syndicate, Low Deep, and loads of others are making some really original **** that is totally inspired by hip hop. Check out the Road page on Warp's Bleep for some sound clips, as well as some of the mixes and tracks on Grimetime and other blogs.

I've heard lots of great hip hop from the Carolinas. There's more here than just Little Brother and 9th Wonder--the entire Justus League is tight, as are others like Kaze, Spectac, and Dan Johns, and I've worked with some really cool producers that are making hot beats (Writer's Block, Phantom Music).

As far as the future of hip hop, it is obviously here to stay. For years kids have been buying more computers and MPCs and fewer guitars. i see hip hop continuing to evolve, remembering its roots while also influencing and combining with other genres to create many musical mutations (like grime does). But, what does a white guy named Jim Bob know about hip hop?

-Jim Bob
http://www.jimbobaiken.com
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Nut

rjd2, roots maneuva that ty guy from uk has some good stuff aswell allthough i dont really dig his rapping his vocalists and live band are absolutely sick

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search