The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who else mixes with Dre
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

I worked with Dre once and with Warren G once, so I have no alliance with his camp nor any reason to defend him personally (as if he needs it). I would take the same position if the subject of this thread was any other mixer or producer.

As an example of my point, who mixed the Metallica Black Album; Bob Rock or Randy Staub? Who produced the song "Thriller'? For that matter, who wrote it?
Let's say you put together a beat and "sold" it to someone who recorded lyrics to it and mixed it without any involvement from you... are you still the "producer"? And if Dre hires some guys to help him create bass lines or keyboard parts and arrangements, is he any less of a producer? If so, what kind of producer is Rick Rubin? What about Arif Mardin?

My beef was with the way that this thread was started (who mixes FOR Dre?) and some of the inuendo contained in Engine's posts, as I outlined above. He has since edited his posts somewhat to clean them up a bit, but he still thinks Dre lacks the "finesse" to mix records the way he does, and suggests that someone else tells Dre what gear to use and turns the knobs. It's irresponsible to suggest things like that in a public forum, especially one such as this where people come for information.

Like you No SSL, I couldn't give a rip what Dre does or doesn't do... I'm trying to get MINE. What a true waste of mental energy to jock some guy's mixes but not believe he does them. Reminds me of a bit from Eddie Murphy's movie "Delirious". Some of you know exactly which bit...LOL
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

i've heard good things about the dre/bacharach record....

i can't wait
to hear
that..........

- jack
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Nut

I agree with Paul here. Dre's a producer. Meaning he can put people in a studio (and he have some of the best), and get the best of them.

I didn't heard him said that he was in his basement by himself.

And I'm sure not anyone can have Scott Storch at the keys, Eliziano at the bass and Vito at the desk AND make what Dre make of that.
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Guru

Dre is more of a "producer" in the traditional sense (as opposed to how its used in the hip hop world), meaning he's like the master orchestrator. He puts Mike, Scott, Vito, etc. in a room and collaborates. He's not playing the keys himself. He's not playing the bass himself. But when you hear a Dre track, you can usually tell its a Dre track. As far as him mixing, i don't know for a fact so i won't elaborate on that. I do believe that Dre recieves a lot of credit for stuff that he didn't do. Thats starting to change now it seems, with a lot of his latest stuff being "co-produced" by Storch, Elizondo, etc. Check out Game's album credits.

Dre is still a genius though, i'm not trying to take anything away from him. I admire nearly every one of his productions
Old 3rd August 2005
no ssl yet
Whatever

Man whatever Dre's role in his production is, He has a good team. No matter who does what, it is HIS team so at the end of the day he gets the credit. I've heard unmixed stuff from him (recently) and it aint all that great.

I'd rather be talking about putting a team of competent individuals together, and who should play what position. I think it would provide a much more positive direction and a better thread.

SO let's turn this thread away from Dre toward what you think the proper elements of such a team are, what you would personally contribute, etc...

So many talk about the lack in Hip Hop, as if they are only consumers/critics. I personally think I have a role in the music's direction and I hope others concur.
Old 4th August 2005
jgo
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Perlman
[Dre has been mixing hits since the '90's man]
Lets make that 80's !!!
I wouldn't doubt for a second that Dre can mix like a pro.
( he IS a pro !)

Even if he doesn't do most the actual hands on knob turning or button pushing these days, I am sure whoever is, knows what Dre wants to hear.
I would think he gives the final say on how the track sounds.

I know I read somewhere that he had an SSL console in his house at some point.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

I wouldn't know for fact, but I am constantly hearing from peoplewho have worked with him that the mixes usually end up super thin because of the over abundance of subs in the studio, and generally Brian ahs to work some wonders in mastering to get all the bass back in. One of the guys working with him basically said he runs high pass filters on everything but kick and bass so that when they boost the low end in mastering (to comprensate for the lack of bottom in the mixes), it will only bring up the bottom of the kick and bass. But hey, if it cmes out good in the end, that's all that matters.
Old 1st December 2006
jmh
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultools View Post
Sounds to me like you are making many assumptions here.
Are you aware that many top engineers have guys that come in and prep for them?
Is that what you are asking? Who is his assistant? Or are you implying that Dre does not know the gear or how to use it? If so, you are mistaken.
I think there's a guy around here- Tommy D that used to work for him.
Dre uses a mixer named Marissio aka Vito also Steve Buafman theses guys are top shelf know of them both.
Old 1st December 2006
Gear Maniac

Scratch magazine (May/June 06) did a article on Steve B. one of Dres engineers......for anyone who didnt know
Old 1st December 2006
Lives for gear

Wow - back from the dead this thread is....

Dre is an awesome mixer. He has total command of the studio and everything involved with making records. I've seen it in 3D with my own eyes. I have worked on many collabos with him, and know this to be a fact. His engineers do what HE tells them to do, the way that HE wants it done, but he is always "hands on".

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search