The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What commercial tracks have been done in the box?
Old 2nd August 2005
  #1
Lives for gear
 
XHipHop's Avatar
What commercial tracks have been done in the box?

I've heard rumors of some but I don't want to spread mis-information. So who knows of classic tracks that have been done in the box and hold up soundwise?
Old 2nd August 2005
  #2
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Well, I know of a few.... I'll throw one out there to start with:

Jay-Z "Frontin"
Old 2nd August 2005
  #3
Lives for gear
 
digiman's Avatar
Ludacris - Act a Fool.
Old 2nd August 2005
  #4
Lives for gear
 
gsharp's Avatar
 

Franz Ferdinand


Los Lonely Boys
Old 2nd August 2005
  #5
Lives for gear
 
XHipHop's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsharp
Franz Ferdinand


Los Lonely Boys
Thanks, but we're keeping it hip hop this month!
Old 2nd August 2005
  #6
Lives for gear
 
gsharp's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop
Thanks, but we're keeping it hip hop this month!
oops. i'm writing from my pda and didn't see what forum this was in. in that case i will add that i think some of the new snoop/pharrell stuff mixed by phil tan was itb, but don't know which tracks. thrillfactor will hopefully pipe in since i think he'll know for sure.

g
Old 2nd August 2005
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Curve Dominant's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
Well, I know of a few.... I'll throw one out there to start with:

Jay-Z "Frontin"
That was a big hit, which I loved.

There was an article in a semi-recent Pro Audio Review where they interviewed the cat who mixed the single from the latest Snoop Dogg, and he said he did it not just all ITB, but with nuthin' but a mouse and a keypad, no control surface.

It's amazing how fast we've come to this point. Just a few (3 or 4) years ago, it was unheard of to produce a track all digital - peeps were all like, "Oh, you gotta track to analog tape going in, then use an anolog console going out to tape..." etc. etc. I say good riddence to that old attitude.
Old 2nd August 2005
  #8
Gear Maniac
 

Bone Crusher, "Never Scared"
Old 2nd August 2005
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsharp
Franz Ferdinand


Los Lonely Boys
That's whacky because Franz Ferdinand had access to an EMI console and Los Lonely Boys were on either a Neve or SSL.


Add to that list everything Salih Williams is doing (Mike Jones was done on an MBox!)
Old 2nd August 2005
  #10
Lives for gear
 
gsharp's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuntz
That's whacky because Franz Ferdinand had access to an EMI console and Los Lonely Boys were on either a Neve or SSL.
)
I read about FF in a back issue of Resolution and LLB was featured on the 'single slice' page of Pro Audio Review.
Old 2nd August 2005
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsharp
I read about FF in a back issue of Resolution and LLB was featured on the 'single slice' page of Pro Audio Review.
I'm not saying you're wrong. A buddy of mine did some work at that studio (i've seen the pictures. It's got an EMI with the lever faders on it) I've also heard stuff mixed on that console. Seems massively colored.
Old 4th August 2005
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Gregg Sartiano's Avatar
 

Mackie dXb is a mixer and control surface -- dual touchscreen, high sample rate...very cool (trust me!). Used it, but have yet to mix on it.
Old 7th August 2005
  #13
Lives for gear
 

a friend told me Common's "Be" was mixed ITB by Bob Power. I think he read it somewhere but wasn't sure
Old 7th August 2005
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Kestral's Avatar
 

Not Hip Hop but a huge hit, Ricky Martin's "Livin' La Vida Loca"
Old 8th August 2005
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curve Dominant
It's amazing how fast we've come to this point. Just a few (3 or 4) years ago, it was unheard of to produce a track all digital - peeps were all like, "Oh, you gotta track to analog tape going in, then use an anolog console going out to tape..." etc. etc. I say good riddence to that old attitude.

It's true, the bar has really been lowered pretty far down, eh? ;-)
Old 8th August 2005
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyclueless
It's true, the bar has really been lowered pretty far down, eh? ;-)
lol
Old 9th August 2005
  #17
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Not hip hop..but the last 2 strokes records ...yuck!...
Which sound thin and no depth to me..[not Lofi just NoFi]
dfegad
Old 9th August 2005
  #18
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

All of the songs mixed by Phil Tan on the new Mariah Carey CD were done ITB....
Old 9th August 2005
  #19
Lives for gear
 
XHipHop's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
All of the songs mixed by Phil Tan on the new Mariah Carey CD were done ITB....
PT HD I assume? Does he use any significant outboard gear that you know of or mostly plugins?
Old 9th August 2005
  #20
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop
PT HD I assume? Does he use any significant outboard gear that you know of or mostly plugins?
I wasn't able to get any info other than it was done completely ITB. I'll ask my contact next time I talk to them for some more details.
Old 9th August 2005
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
All of the songs mixed by Phil Tan on the new Mariah Carey CD were done ITB....
that album soundes great. Phil Tan has obviously embraced mixing ITB and is doing a great job on a few projects as are a few other mix engineers.
Old 9th August 2005
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Stoneface's Avatar
 

I love digital....not because of the obvious advantages but because it holds true to the age old saying. "It's not what you have....but how you use it." Could better results be had with an all analog process...sure...you'll never convice me that digital can sound better than analog.

Point is...ANY gear, in the right hands, can yield platinum results. I bet if Dre recorded a 50 Cent single on a 4 track it would blow up. Is a 4-Track better than HD...hell no but in the right hands a simple 4 track machine could destroy an HD rig purchased by an amature who thinks he can get the same results just because "XYZ" engineer mixed a hot record on it.

It's not the gear people...it's the talent. Good gear can help, no doubt but NOTHING can make up for lack of talent and skill. Just my thoughts. Back to your regulary scheduled thread.
Old 9th August 2005
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface
It's not the gear people...it's the talent. Good gear can help, no doubt but NOTHING can make up for lack of talent and skill. Just my thoughts. Back to your regulary scheduled thread.
I kinda think the gear IS making up for the talent. I mean I think 50 cent is the most talentless rapper ever to walk the earth (just my opinion) but he is still blowing up. But then that may just be part of the bad hiphop trend lately. Maybe a better example would be Ashley Simpson who obviously would not be able to get by without the equipment and like many other untaltented artists is blowing up. Without the gear, most of the current hit artists would not be around.
Old 9th August 2005
  #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface
Point is...ANY gear, in the right hands, can yield platinum results.

Platinum results do not in alot of cases equal to a good sound.

It just means that its popular and the promotions department at a label did a great job.
Old 9th August 2005
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Stoneface's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyclueless
I kinda think the gear IS making up for the talent. I mean I think 50 cent is the most talentless rapper ever to walk the earth (just my opinion) but he is still blowing up. But then that may just be part of the bad hiphop trend lately. Maybe a better example would be Ashley Simpson who obviously would not be able to get by without the equipment and like many other untaltented artists is blowing up. Without the gear, most of the current hit artists would not be around.
By talent, I was talking about the engineers that use the gear. I could never put more faith into the gear than I would a wise and talented engineer who can work miracles with "talentless" artists. 50 Cent certainly isn't the most gifted writer of all time but he has that all important delivery. When you have a solid delivery as an artist, that can make up for lack of educated things to say. Point is, he just sounds cool. He sounds good on a record.

Scarface is another good example except he does have something to say but has a very addictive delivery. (True everyone can't relate to him but he still deserves respect.) Or Biggie Smalls. Crushin' flow and even better delivery. This is a concept that many new aspiring rappers just don't undertand. Having a tight flow is one thing...being able to deliver that flow in a way that makes people WANT to listen to it, is a whole other story.
Old 9th August 2005
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Stoneface's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Platinum results do not in alot of cases equal to a good sound.

It just means that its popular and the promotions department at a label did a great job.
Fair enough....poor choice of wording. Hopefully you still got where I was trying to go with it though. Again....my opinions and mine alone.
Old 9th August 2005
  #27
Lives for gear
 
digiman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
All of the songs mixed by Phil Tan on the new Mariah Carey CD were done ITB....
T, are you sure Phil mixed MC's track ITB? Most of the other stuff he has done for JD has been tracked in PT, but mixed on SSL or Neve consoles. About a year ago I saw him here in the ATL and he said this is the way he works. He must have changed his tune.
Old 9th August 2005
  #28
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiman
T, are you sure Phil mixed MC's track ITB? Most of the other stuff he has done for JD has been tracked in PT, but mixed on SSL or Neve consoles. About a year ago I saw him here in the ATL and he said this is the way he works. He must have changed his tune.
Yep, it was completely ITB.
Old 9th August 2005
  #29
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs
I havent heard the whole album, but the vocal editing Ive heard on her last 2 singles or so makes me dizzy. Only heard it on the radio, so no chance to replay, but did she stop breathing and start singing continously for 1 minute at a time or something?

Gustav
man i dont know anyone who listens to music that way. u guys take the fun out of songs LOL!!!
Old 9th August 2005
  #30
Lives for gear
 

on evry min here in nyc radio. thats song is huge and i never noticed that
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump