The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What commercial tracks have been done in the box?
Old 11th August 2005
tsd
Gear Maniac

here's one for ya, the multi-award winning record breaking... Speakerboxxx/Love Below by Outkast.

it was mixed ITB on PT HD, even thou they have an SSL in their studio. if you compaire it to say Black Eyed Peas mixed on an SSL K you really hear a massive difference in sonics and depth as well as stereo image. i also find that the bass lacks definition, the lows are real murky.

funny thou, i listen to outkast 10 more than the peas. it really is all bout the songs isnt it. its still in my CD stacker almost 2 years later!!!
Old 11th August 2005
tsd
Gear Maniac

BTW im glad im not the only one who finds Mariahs vocal edits annoying! ive only heard it on my crappy little TV, but it still sounded really edity. i guess when you work all day trying to make edits sound natural it is weird to hear it a different way...

but my wife who is not an audio engineer noticed it as well and didnt like it...
Old 29th August 2005
Gear Addict

I think we need to be clear when we talk about ITB. Peoples perceptions of this term range from:

-tracking through MBox pres and mixing entirely using plug ins and then bouncing to disk.

to

-Tracking through high end pres and comps to Pro Tools HD, and sending tracks and/or groups out through high end DA to outboard comps, EQ, etc, and back in through high end AD. The final summing happens ITB.

To me, if you are sending stuff out into the analog world and back in this is not truly Mixing ITB. It is a hybrid sort of thing and there is nothing wrong with it, but I would call it Summing in the box.

On that note, does anyone know of any major releases that were mixed entirely ITB (using plug-ins)?

Thanks,
Upryz
Old 29th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
Yep, it was completely ITB.
I will second that. He might use an SSL external to monitor but thats it. He is notoriously and ITB guy.
Old 29th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u
I will second that. He might use an SSL external to monitor but thats it. He is notoriously and ITB guy.
So does he mix completly ITB with plugins for flavor, to individual outs on an SSL then back into Protools? Or is the mix monitoring done strictly with one stereo output?
I guess true ITB would be strict stereo monitoring right? No stems.

And speaking of crazy edits listen to most of the late great Big Punishers raps. Many of his verses seem virtually impossible to recreate live without dying from no oxygen intake. It sounds cool but at what point do you draw the line? Or is record making just the art of illusion, and to the point that it doesn't matter if it's performable or not?
Old 29th August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb-jazz
So does he mix completly ITB with plugins for flavor, to individual outs on an SSL then back into Protools? Or is the mix monitoring done strictly with one stereo output?
I guess true ITB would be strict stereo monitoring right? No stems.
On the Mariah project it was mixed in Pro Tools with plugins! No stems, just stereo outs to monitor!
Old 29th August 2005
Lives for gear

Its all ITB. Monitoring 1-2 outs only.
Old 29th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
On the Mariah project it was mixed in Pro Tools with plugins! No stems, just stereo outs to monitor!
Yeah that's pretty awe enducing

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search