The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any Mix-Tape DJs here?
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

Any Mix-Tape DJs here?

How about posting a how-to?

How do you go about getting beats, verses, distribution? Do's/dont's?

Is there any money in it?

etc...
Old 2nd August 2005

Most of them get advances from record labels that have pella/mental's.... others get them from where else... the internet! There are forums that people share advances and hard to find acapella's and stuff. Some of the bigger DJ's have relationships with the artists and are able to get freestyles, etc.. in exchange for radio play, exposure, etc.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
Most of them get advances from record labels that have pella/mental's.... others get them from where else... the internet! There are forums that people share advances and hard to find acapella's and stuff. Some of the bigger DJ's have relationships with the artists and are able to get freestyles, etc.. in exchange for radio play, exposure, etc.
Yeah, I met some dude from Atlanta that makes mixtapes for a living and he gets T.I. to do freestyles all the time...he was always talking about flying here and there and i was like "damn, there has to be some decent money in this..."

I mean, mixtapes have definitely gone from being an artform and underground to a label's promotional vehicle. But still, a majority of the mixtapes i see are on CD-R. This is both in local record shops and on street corners...
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

my neighbor here in nyc moves about 10k cds/mnth. he's well known and also tours around the world doing parties
Old 2nd August 2005
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlotto
my neighbor here in nyc moves about 10k cds/mnth. he's well known and also tours around the world doing parties
can you name names?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search