The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What Effect is this??
Old 11th April 2009
Gear Nut

What Effect is this??

what effect is this on the chorus vocals of Musiq Soulchild's "So Beautiful" that comes in at 59 seconds??.....

Musiq Soulchild on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos (1st song)
Old 11th April 2009
Gear Addict

Sounds just like it's an octaver, or possibly him just singing it twice.
Old 11th April 2009
Gear Head

I think it's a vocoder (a synth (in this case a bassynth) that is driven by the voice). You can make a simular fx with the new microkorg or with software like Reason...

greetz,

NiKa
Old 11th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin RockWell View Post
what effect is this on the chorus vocals of Musiq Soulchild's "So Beautiful" that comes in at 59 seconds??.....

Musiq Soulchild on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos (1st song)
Waves Mophoder
Old 12th April 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Waves Mophoder
Thanks alot everybody, I'm glad I got this info cause it's the closet the thing I've heard to "vibrating" vocals, which is an effect I've been desiring (no homo).
Old 12th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiKaMusic View Post
I think it's a vocoder (a synth (in this case a bassynth) that is driven by the voice). You can make a simular fx with the new microkorg or with software like Reason...

greetz,

NiKa

it's simply two takes. the second, lower octave take, is being ouput through sends only, to a LPFiltered delay on a bus (send in "pre-(meter)" mode). the original (lower octave) track is muted (aka set to -inf dB). the send level is being automated to put an accent on certain words syllables.

as an alternative, you'd simply take the "high voice" take, put an octaver before the delay on the bus - and automate the send level. (that is, if you are too lazy to record it twice).

really, no rocket science involved.
Old 14th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusColeman View Post

it's simply two takes. the second, lower octave take, is being ouput through sends only, to a LPFiltered delay on a bus (send in "pre-(meter)" mode). the original (lower octave) track is muted (aka set to -inf dB). the send level is being automated to put an accent on certain words syllables.

as an alternative, you'd simply take the "high voice" take, put an octaver before the delay on the bus - and automate the send level. (that is, if you are too lazy to record it twice).

really, no rocket science involved.
Old 30th May 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper1400 View Post
does anyone know who played rhodes on this???

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search