The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rap vocals compression
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Rap vocals compression

I am after a compressor primarily for rap vocals. It will also see some use compressing drums, trumpet and hopefully as a mastering tool. So I would need a stereo compressor but its main use would be as a rap vocal compressor.

I have not ruled out getting a distressor and then getting a second one later but if there are any recommendations for a stereo compressor I am all ears.

I will be using a TLM103 through a pad into an A-designs MP-2 (thanks e-cue) but will be getting a tube mic, ribbon mic and other pres down the track. I don't really want to pay much more than $2000US.

I was wondering about peoples experiences with SSL eq's and comps.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

I am also looking at the Summit dual comp. I am concerned about the three way attack...should I be? Maybe it hits the spot.????

DBX 160sl (I am stabbing in the dark here)

Wait for Sebatron to bring out a dual comp version of his Thorax (like the 24bit MPC2000XL With USB).

Warmth with the ability to be clinical is what I want, if that makes sense. I want it to give a signature sounds to my mixes.

The voices I will be working with will be more midrange gravelly not too deep. I wanna be able to take of transients and sculpt the voice a bit with the comp, so eq would help too I guess.

TOFT ATC-2 or do I go home with my tail between my legs.

The comp/purchase will hopefully get a lot of use in programmed sampled kicks and snares and later live snares. Premier, Hi-Tek, Bomb Squad, Opus are the sounds I am influenced by.

So basically I am looking for an allrounder that will cover many bases, not blow the bank and still get the job done more than admirably.

Please help. Any suggestions even if it is a little outside my range.

Maybe I am better off investing in a vocal booth but I got access to a decent one. Thanks.
Old 13th July 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by tengu
TOFT ATC-2 or do I go home with my tail between my legs.
The Toft is a great box, but that compressor isn't necessarily a good "go to" for vocals. It is great when you really want to clamp something down and hear the compression, and doesn't do subtle too well.

You may want to give the Drawmer 1968 a spin, very versatile comp and is stereo. That box can net you a lot of different flavors.

War
Old 13th July 2005

someones selling two Daking compressors on the classified page at the mo for 2k. I haven't used daking comps but their eq's are fantastic, plus you get two stellar mike pres..
Old 1st August 2005
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Simply something quick.

Urei LA22/11, Distressor, dbx160x or maybe a 1176LN.
Old 2nd August 2005

For cheap, just grab a pair of DBX 160Xt's and call it a day. A pair of distressors would be great if you can swing it, but those DBX's have been used on a lot of records and you won't really out grow them..
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

DBX 160x or xt. Maybe a Distressor if you want crunchy.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fajita
DBX 160x or xt. Maybe a Distressor if you want crunchy.

There's no more DBX's ... E-cue bought them all
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

I can't wait to see what the RNLA will do...
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

If your budget is $2000 and you are going to be using this compressor for various tracking, then I would suggest the industry standard 1176. I just finished a two disk Hip Hop album using a Lawson L47 (U47 Clone) through a vintage API 312 to an 1176 then to an ADL CL1500 (Teletronics Clone). I was slamming the 1176 pretty good getting anywhere between 6 to 7 db reduction. I used the ADL lightly only getting about 3 db reduction. The Vox sound great! Definitely go with the 1176.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

For 2 channell that can do alot...a Fatso can be found for less than 2 grand. You'll love it...I do. I own a Distersor, a Fatso , and a 76...they all kick ass, but if you need stereo...the Fatso does alot of tricks really well. The Warmth control can't be beaten on sibilant rappers.
My cents
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Lambrechts
There's no more DBX's ... E-cue bought them all
he didn't get mine!

Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

A heavy dose of an 1176ln with the output slightly driven gives a real nice, upfront and gritty rap vocal. I prefer a tube pre in front of it.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

distressor, tubetech, or comp in focusrite 430mkII
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Addict

I will be purchasing a RNLA today to go with my Great River MEQ-1NV (the mic pre & eq) for tracking hip hop and R&B vocals. Hopefully I should be set untill I can afford a Crane Song Trakker or Tube Tech CL-1B.
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Rght Now I have been using either a trak 2 into a avalon 737sp, or the avalon into a 1176, good sounds either way.
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop
I can't wait to see what the RNLA will do...

word
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Does anyone have any experience with the Summit comp and how does it fare using it for rap vocals?

Unfortunately the DBX's are out of my possibilitites. They use a 110V powersupply and I am in Aus (240V). I don't wanna buy any more transformers. The DBX's are impossible to find here.
Old 4th August 2005
jgo
Gear Head

Stupid question...
(But I've never really tracked vocals at my production studio,)

So you're saying the majority of you track vocals with compression?
i.e. Mic --> Mic Pre --> Compressor --> Recorder ?

I'm going to finally start tracking vocals & was looking at the Avalon 747 or a Neve Clone.
Would I be better off getting a unit like the Avalon with a built in comp?
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgo
Stupid question...
(But I've never really tracked vocals at my production studio,)

So you're saying the majority of you track vocals with compression?
i.e. Mic --> Mic Pre --> Compressor --> Recorder ?

I'm going to finally start tracking vocals & was looking at the Avalon 747 or a Neve Clone.
Would I be better off getting a unit like the Avalon with a built in comp?
The Avalon 737 is the one with the preamp...and personally I think the compressor sucks. Others like it.

I usually don't track with compression but add it during mixing...just my personal preference...

I will, however, monitor with a plugin compressor on so the singer hears themselves all leveled out and smooth...

Which neve clone were you thinking about?
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

The 737 comp can sound good at certain settings, set as a limiter with the ratio up to 7/8 can get you good results, but of course thats assuming you set your threshold to the peaks.
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Does anyone have any experience with the ISA 220 and ISA 430 both models.

What are the differences in them, what are they good for (say it again y'all), what are the strengths and weeknesses of them both, against each other as well as other possible options

primary concern, comp

Close seconds pre and other aspects of the units

I already have a tube pre and thought was interested in the ISA's for various reasons

namely

rap compressoin with my tube pre, vocal pre, acoustic instrument they sound sweet with ribbons

I will be recording a lot of my own samples and the combo looks preety sweet

I like ISA pres as well from my limited listening and Missy Elliot uses one well.....RZA, what does he use besides good MC's.

ANyone wanna sell one?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search